Facing the Unknown II

Trokair

Sorry I have not posted in a while. Between work (inventory season) the holidays I have not had a lot of hobby time.

I did get my game in. Two actually. We played one open terrain where I got slaughtered to a man. The second was with a decent amount of terrain.

I found that if you set up right you can push your opponent into a kill box using your scout snipers while picking off the heavier types with the eliminators. Finish this up with some waiting characters or a firing line of snipers and you’ve got some pretty decent fire power. You have to work hard to do it, but the terrain is your ally, especially with the Reivers. I won this one bu the skin of my teeth, but I’ll take it.

He won't be as good as what many others can do but I'm happy with how Drazhar has turned out. Apologies for the pics... I've included a pic of my original archon from back in 3rd edition that was made and painted. Thankfully my painting has improved!

2 venoms to start tomorrow evening... Should be quicker than Drazhar was :D

drazharcomp2.jpg
drazharcomp1.jpg
original-archon.jpg

Edited by 01RTB01

It works!

8F4zwXAl.jpg

The tanks and one troop tray fit perfectly, and it still closes with no squishing.

I also tried using some larger tiles for the bases, which I like better. My first attempt at painting marble came out OK, but for the next batch I'm going to try white with off-white veins instead of vice versa. I also streaked it with gold, but I think I was too conservative with it; I can hardly even see it once the varnish is on.

I'm very pleased with the overall effect though. Shiny white tile contrasts nicely with matte black armor.

WphL4Mel.jpg

Custom Hero, congratulation on that hard won victory. Would adding fortifications to your army help? So that you bring extra terrain for when the board is on the light side.

01RTB01, Thank you. Drazhar has turned out great, now he just needs a ride into battle, which I am sure we will see from you shortly. 

Hymnblade, hurray, good to know that the theory works in practice. I concur on the larger tiles, but I think if you can throw some smaller ones on a few bases, or even have mixed sizes, that that will work even better.

I have built the first five Sisters, as well as one Repentia and two Arco-flagellants (one of which is really a Negavolt Cultists from Blackstone Fortress that I plan on using as an Arco, they are very close in scale).

I have also been playing around with colour scheme ideas, early stages but any suggestions/feedback would be welcome.

Scheme 1 and 2, they are variations of the same idea. Dark orange/red cloth, bronze armour and either gold or silver trim and icons.

sister.php?bpe=87542F&bpj=87542F&bp=8754sister.php?bpe=87542F&bpj=87542F&bp=8754

Scheme 3, Grey Knight steel armour (so lighter than leadbelcher with a blue tinge, the below is as close I could approximate in the painter) gold/braze trim and orange cloth.

sister.php?bpe=96C4E0&bpj=96C4E0&bp=96C4

Scheme 4, blue cloth silver trim and metal orange armour (think contrast orange (such as gryph-hound) over leadbelcher or a lighter silver metal.

sister.php?bpe=F46C2E&bpj=F46C2E&bp=F46C

Custom Hero, congratulation on that hard won victory. Would adding fortifications to your army help? So that you bring extra terrain for when the board is on the light side.

That is now the plan.

Btw: I’m for scheme two. It’s very different from anything I see around my neck of the woods. Here everyone goes silver, black, white, or red.

So over the holiday I got some assembly and painting done.

TauV25wip1

I need to rework the GS part of the drones, but parts wise I'm happy with them and I have the parts for all 12 separated and in baggies.

Also the head seems to be a good fit.

Stormsurgewip1

I added a pair of burst cannons as 'ears', this fixes my one issue of where to place the twin burst cannon it gets. Seems that the Stormsurge took a nose dive in cost too with CA2019 (mine went from 381 to 321), so I have a neat little shield drone idea that I might just add in for the riptide.

Also solved my pulse submunitions rifle problem for the XV9, it's basically a rail rifle that fires submunition rounds. So an easy fix of getting a shoulder mounted rail rifle.

Actually I have to see how this army is going to be in the end run since T'au got a lot of point drops.

Side note seems that I'll be learning two armies as I had tossed my hat in on a local campaign with my Iron Hands crusade army and got schooled by a Death Guard player this weekend. Got to learn to castle with that force.

Which is going to be counter to the T'au force with is build to be mobile as heck.

@Trokair - I like scheme 4, never seen a sisters army with it and it just pops out at me personally.

Edited by Focslain

Got quite a lot of work done on my cultists. Still not fully content with the skin tone, but I'm getting better.

med_gallery_94103_13818_174018.jpg

My Slaaneshii armys heavily influenced by the Hellraiser Cenobites so I feel your pain, pale skin is an ass ache.

Hey All,

I, Vosyvo, Vow to face the Unknown and will learn about the Adepta Sororitas - Order of the Bloody Rose by 29 February 2020 working on a Patrol Detachment. Failure is not acceptable, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honour to my fellow participants and I will display the banner of a nominated heretic faction within my signature for 12 months while I repent.

Must do:

•  
  • Faction: Adepta Sororitas
  •  
  • Detachment: Patrol 
  •  
  • Initial Goals: Get the army painted and onto the tabletop for a few games so I can learn the new codex. 
  •  
  • Long Term: Build up to a larger detatchment size if I can get my hands on more SoB models, or the new wave of releases hits before the event end date.
  •  

Excited to jump in on this event while I paint and learn to play my new SoB force.

I'm yet to get them onto the table, but have started work on the painting and have named my force The Mission of Saint Aspira

Here is my test model to establish a scheme I liked. Starting work on the rest of the box set.

1037116-.jpg

1037119-.jpg

Edited by vossyvo

Got the rest of my vow to a tabletop ready standard. Learned quite a bit about painting skin/faces (which made me remember why most of my other models wear complete armour/helmets) and experimented with snowy bases.

med_gallery_94103_13818_139230.jpg

Still not entirely sure about what I should do next. With the recent point drops I'm thinking about including a ridgerunner in my next vow, but I haven't yet decided on the colour scheme for my vehicles.

Still not entirely sure about what I should do next. With the recent point drops I'm thinking about including a ridgerunner in my next vow, but I haven't yet decided on the colour scheme for my vehicles.

Adding a vehicle if just to get the scheme is a good idea, next step is to get a small game in and get to know your rules and put theory into practice.

On that, my housemate got the new sisters box and is looking to use them asap. I suggested a patrol with the open war cards. She'll get the Sudden Death option since my outrider detachment is 38 PL to her sisters' 20 PL. Points are 514? (rumoured drop) to 370 pts.

I have four of the six drones frames built. Once I get the last two built I'll do the GS work, get the connector magnets set and time to spray.

For colour I'm going for the ghostly teal from Frontier. Buddy is going to let me use some of his Hex Wrath before I waste my money on a pot.

Welcome Vosyvo glad to have another Sisters army on board. And Kudos and having a painted sister already, I am still in the assembly stage.   That dark red armour looks great, what coloures did you use for it?

Also, out of curiosity how easy/hard is painting the robes? Looking at the models I am thinking that I will need to pin, spray and paint the models before gluing them to a base so that I will have access to all parts of the robes, with some of them it feels like if I was to glue them to the base first it would be difficult to reach some parts but easy to spot.

Zephaniah Adriyen, the more the merrier. As for the colour scheme, while I do like the look I am leaning away from this one as I am ready planning on using a similar scheme on my Space Wolf/Stormcast/AdMech conversion army and as much as I like the idea of this scheme I probably should not do it for two full armies so as to not burn out on this look.

Talking of colour scheme it looks like there are two votes for scheme 1/2, one vote for scheme 3 and 2 votes for scheme 4. This isn’t helping me make up my mind!

Dreagher, looking good there, the blue pale skin tone and the snow bases really make the army feel like it is frozen through and through. I second Focslain’s comments, a small vehicle to practice on is a great idea, and a Ridgrunner should be good for that. If you want to go smaller may the bike and quad squad (I forget what they are called) would be a stepping stone from infantry to vehicle.

Focslain, good luck and have fun to you and your housemate for that battle. The Poweler level may seem rather different but the point spilt makes it look nowhere near as bad. Plus in such small games positioning and terrain can make up a lot as well. Do let us know how it goes, and if she wants to join in the fun here then she is more than welcome, the more the merrier.

Welcome Vosyvo glad to have another Sisters army on board. And Kudos and having a painted sister already, I am still in the assembly stage.   That dark red armour looks great, what coloures did you use for it?

Also, out of curiosity how easy/hard is painting the robes? Looking at the models I am thinking that I will need to pin, spray and paint the models before gluing them to a base so that I will have access to all parts of the robes, with some of them it feels like if I was to glue them to the base first it would be difficult to reach some parts but easy to spot.

Hey Trokair,

I'm airbrushing the base colours of the armour.

It is a bit lengthy, but I'm actually doing it to get myself back up to speed with using an airbrush (threw mine out about 5 years back, so picking it all up again). If I wasn't re-learning I would do it without some of the mid-tones to get more contrast and pop.

- Black Primer.

- Vallejo Model Air Burnt Umber.

- Vallejo Game Air Scarlett Red (Zenithal).

- Vallejo Game Air Bloody Red (Target high points).

- Vallejo Game Air Orange Fire (Highlight the Bloody Red spots).

- Gloss Varnish (this step helps the wash of the next step to really flow, and not stain the main armour pannels).

- Wash the entire mini with a mix of Army Painter Dark Tone, Red Tone, Shade Medium.

End product before detailing looks like this. The whole SoB box set took me about 1.5 hours to get this step done.

The colour is a bit brighter since its directly under my painting lamp.

Also you can see in this picture, I did pin the Seraphim, but didn't with everything else.

Found the robes awkward in spots - in hind sight I should have pinned the Characters as well.

1037525_sm-.jpg

Edited by vossyvo

Just got to paint the gun casings and flack jackets black again to clear up any paint mishaps and do unit markings and my guards done... Are bases mandatory or can I skip them? Cant find my PVA glue and dont have enough super glue to flock them all. Oh I have to do a vox caster as well. 

Well hello there.

I, FlakMonkey, vow to face the unknown and will learn about the Adepta Sororitas by working on a patrol detatchment. My intent is a playable force of 1500 points, depending on how much i enjoy painting them.

They finally arrived. Here is a picture of the ladies in transit.

med_gallery_67114_16002_700.jpg

Welcome FlackMonkey, bring those sisters home safely.  

Slave to Darkness, if you don’t have bases to hand/in a state where you can use them that is fine.

Vossyvo, thanks, looks like that is beyond my skill set but good to know nonetheless. They do look good. One of these years I am going to go and learn how to use an airbrush. Guess I will be pinning all the sisters then, time to get some more cork.

Slave to Darkness, if you don’t have bases to hand/in a state where you can use them that is fine.

True but if I dont do them now Ill never get around to doing them. Im sure I have pva somewhere, just dont have a clue where it is, just like my fiancees passport and birth certificate *facepalms*

Well done to those making progress :D

My incubi are early WiP but work has been nuts this week. I'm also being distracted by the Christmas boxes. Internal debate of squig box, stormcast box or some bits from a squig box [trolls and boss] plus some intercessors [stalkers] plus aggressors.

Distractions are not helpful! 2 more weeks of work then Christmas holidays. I'm hoping I can have 1k ready for the holidays so I can start some games with a view to it motivating me to get more done. Otherwise I'll be getting some Crimson fists built and played as I've had a phobos orientated force in my head for a while - have the stuff just lacked impetus to get on with it.

HELP!!!! :D