Facing the Unknown II

Trokair

Weirdly I've actually gone and gotten another squad of Plague marines done before doing the Lord of contagion, I was going to save these guys for the next vow but my mojo has been all over the place and I love it! Here's the 2nd plague marine squad, next up is the LoC:

49225067012_ac115b1692_c.jpgIMG_20191215_222846

49225066567_15e3eaa922_c.jpgIMG_20191215_222924

49224363233_a8baaed2ed_c.jpgIMG_20191215_222915

49225066497_129a35a261_c.jpgIMG_20191215_222902

Well the outrider detachment is done.

Tauoutrider1

I should get a game with them, or I will try to after the holidays. Had to pack away most of my hobby stuff for family arriving later this week.

Next Stage:

Next up I'm going to see if I have the parts for all four VF-1s. I have confirmed three bodies and at least three of the eight missile pods I'm going to need. While looking at it I might be able to swap at least two for the missile pod from the fire warrior turret. I'm thinking of using them on the sgt that way I fewer of the mk1 missile pods. I'm going to GS thier visors because why not?

That will give me some practice because I'm going to have to do the same to the 31s and the riptide. Of which I'll look into building a 31 before tackling the riptide since I'm still undecided on the colour scheme. I'm thinking of the basic armoured valk, but not sure.

Squad pic!
9ae9BUV.jpg

That's all the Night Lords models I've painted over the course of this year, including the ones I painted for this and Call of Chaos.

Yesterday, I had my first game with them. Due to my thing of "only playing with a majority of what I have painted" it was a very.... lopsided game.

We agreed to 1k, my Night Lords (using Faith and Fury.... which didn't amount to much really :lol:) against one of my mate's T'au. Due to my being bad at math, I ended up being OVER 1000 points, but still lost because I was running a wonky detachment list (Patrol, Outrider, Supreme Command) versus his Double Battalion. So while I had to make EVERY Command Point usage count, he had them to spare.

Despite that, it was actually a pretty close game. Lord Discordant did exactly what I expected and intended him to do (kill something of his that was big and scary, become DISTRACTION SPIDERBOT and then immediately die :lol:).

Best moment was when I managed to survive the 'For the Greater Good' overwatch phase with three of the units (Obliterator, Spawn and Chaos Lord) and then he used the interrupt stratagem.... to have his Ethereal try and do damage to my Chaos Lord (it didn't work). And then the Lord swung back..... Killing Fury+Hateful Assault+Claws of the Black Hunt=Super Dead Ethereal :lol:

TrawlingCleaner, they are coming along nicely. I don’t know why but there is something unsettling about the shade of yellow/brown. When it was just a few it was an interesting take on a Nurgle theme, but the more I see of them the more they feel weird, which is appropriate for chaos, so no complaints there.  

Focslain, congratulation on the completions. Let us know when you are ready for your next vow and what detachment you want to work towards.

Gederas, Congratulation as well for your completion. Also Kudos for all the other units you have done for Call of Chaos and otherwise. Again let us know when you are ready for your second vow.

Trokair - After the holidays I'll know. It's either going to be making the SCD or upgrading the outrider detachment to a vanguard. Depends on the design of the fireblades...

And as I wrote that I figured it out, the bloody EXGear.

Good thing anime night was delayed, I have a bitz bin to raid.

Gederas, Congratulation as well for your completion. Also Kudos for all the other units you have done for Call of Chaos and otherwise. Again let us know when you are ready for your second vow.

Thanks!

And I'll have to wait to do my growth vow until after I get more models (I've actually run out of Night Lords models to paint in a legal detachment format :lol:)

Gederas, the revowing is simpler compared to last year, you can just vow another detachment, you don’t need to expand to a larger detachment. This means you can just vow an Auxiliary Support Detachment if you just want to add one unit at a time.

Nusphigor, looking great there, especially the freehand lightning effect and Night Lord Iconography. I also really like the Chaos Lord with JP and Demon Sword and the Dark Apostle.

FlackMonkey, plenty of time still, so no need to fret. You are further ahead than I am in getting the sisters painted. I also like the contrast of the snow on the base the black armour and the white hair.  

So got a quick game in over the weekend with my house mate and her sisters. Well a proxy sister army, she’s still working on hers. But we had time to kill before the gift exchange at our local FLGS and I had both my Tau and some marines. It was a simple kill mission with a twist, I gave her a sudden death mission from Open War.

Force Recon
Tau vs Sisters

Tau
Outrider Detachment - Tau Sept
Commander in Coldstar - HSBC, MP x2, SG, Puretide Chip, Master of Mont’ka

Battlesuit Squad (x4) - CIB x4, MP x3, Drone Controller

Tactical Drone Squad (x4) - Shield Drone x2, Marker Drones x2

PL/Pts: 38/514

Tauvssis1

Sisters (Marines used as proxies for now)
Vanguard Detachment - Order of the Bloody Rose
Canoness - Power weapon, plasma pistol, rod of office

Repentia (x4) (played by ultra primaris helblasters)
Acro-flagent x3 (played by ultra primaris bolters
Mistress (trait, relic) (ultra sergeant)

Battle Sister Squad (x10) - Storm bolter, flamer, Imagifier, Superiour w/ chainsword, plasma pistol (blood raven tactical squad)

Seraphim squad (x5) - twin bolt pistol x4, superiour w/ plasma pistol, power sword (Mantis warrior helblasters)

Pentiant Engine - heavy flamers, whips

PL/Pts: 20/375? (Battlescribe is still buggy with their new points)

So I got first turn via roll, she used prepared position, wiping her CP for the game.

The commander bursted from one side of the table the the other, ready to engage the repentia on the flank. Marker drones didn’t do too well, I got only a point to the engine, the squad let loose a missile barrage and managed to drop the engine just, she made four of nine FNP saves. The commander unloaded into the repentia and failed to make a dent.

The sisters moved up, the repentia moving to the commander. The acro and seraphims advanced a good distance, but was still too far. The repentia managed to charge the commander and lost one to overwatch and made contact. The mistress was unable to make the distance. I used the repulsor strat and knocked out two. The remaining sister connected and scored two wounds before the commander kicked her unconscious.

The commander bursts back to the other suits, once again the markers aren’t hitting, but I get one to the acro and one on the seraphims. Splitting fire the squad hits the acro with missiles and killing two, Then they hit the seraphims with their CIBs and drop one. The commander does the same, dropping the last acro and another seraphim.

Tauvssis2

The sisters continue to close the noose on the suit squad. Light bolter fire comes in but only manages to score a wound on a suit and damage a few drones via intercepts. The seraphims ready a charge and in a hail of missile and plasma/ionic bolts are cut down even though their faith was strong, just not strong enough. She dumped her entire faith pool to pass most of the missile hits, the rifles finished the job though.

With the immediate threat taken care of the commander jumps to flank the sisters, having the mistress in his sights. The suit squad bunker in and lay down a barrage of fire that fells.. One sister. The commander completes his assassination of the mistress in a hail of missile fire.

The battle sister squad continues their march forward, bolster by the arrival of a new engine at the rear (I gave her the tactical reinforcement ruse). It was positioned to take on the commander. A hail of bolter fire managed to take out most of the drones as the savior protocol went into overdrive. One stray shell made it the shields to wound a suit. The battle sisters charge and crash into the battlesuits. The suits brace and after the women break through the fire storm the suits put out, three are concussed on the impact field (I love this thing!). The remaining sisters with rifle butts and chainswords, scoring several hits, but none penetrate the suits’ armoured hulls. In response the pilots engage in close-quarter fighting to a stalemate. The last of the drones fly off, their own preservation directives kicking in hard (massive LD check fail) and the call to dis-engage is sent to the battlesuit pilots.

Tauvssis3

(I had already started my next turn when I remembered I had to roll morale on the drones, and failed hard)

Game Ends: Sudden Death objective: Blunt Attack Completed.

Post Game:
So I have a new favorite strat, it hurt so many sisters. Also while looking closer to the drones I saw the Stable Platform rule for the maker drones, so I would have been hitting on 4+ period, . That opens a few options.

Sisters can be sturdy, but the suits have the fire power and hopefully the maneuverability for standard missions later on. She drew the SD objective randomly and got one that played to the Tau use of drone bodies.

I now possess s n e a k y b o i s. Small hitch - I built the two additional HQs for the Supreme Command at the same time I built everyone else because that's how I tend to operate. Is that alright?

That’s fine; one of the reason for vowing detachments rather than individual models is so that people can be flexible as they learn the new army and build things as and when they can.

Okay, inaugural game finished. It, uh. It went poorly. Shrike whiffed entirely.

Let that sink in - Shrike, the man who re-rolls every single fail in melee and hits on a 2+, whiffed everything.

This is not a good omen.

However, I've decided to scrape together some models from last Christmas to put together a 5-man Hellblaster squad and a 10-man Intercessor squad for my Raven Guard. Also finally managed to procure those heads I mentioned forever ago from my friend, so I can actually DO this.

Edit/update: I'm missing a Hellblaster, but I scraped together enough Intercessors to do the full squad. I'll be digging for the Hellblaster, uh... eventually.

Edited by Zephaniah Adriyen

Zephaniah Adryen, good to have had a game, just a shame that Shrike did poorly, hopefully he has used up all the bad luck for a while and your next game will go better.

As part of the Boxing Day Bash I have completed a Missionary, so I have my mandatory HQ for now. He was also a bit of a colour test, and while there was not enough armour to see how the orange goes with the dark brass I think it worked out alright.

gallery_29932_13461_145965.jpg

I haven't posted in a while, but I'm still plugging away when I find the time. I've been surprisingly busy with the holidays. Also, I got married, so that was kind of a big deal.

I ordered some transfers from The Mighty Brush, which I'm very pleased with. I've put them on just about everybody now. I don't have a group shot, but here are the transfer sheets:

sa00Hegl.jpg?1

I also based the neophytes, and I think I'm getting better at it.

nIUi9yBl.jpg

Lastly, I painted the heavy weapons and the Sword Brethren for my two shooty squads. I think leaving the crest black looks a bit too much like a mohawk, but I did want to break up the white a bit, so I'm going to try metal next time.

c4HIosDl.jpg

And this puts me within spitting distance of completion! I'm hoping to finish up in the next couple of days.

The final pieces!

yNVtC5Tl.jpg

I really wanted to use one of the large cross transfers on that banner, but I just could not get it to go onto the surface anywhere close to correctly. I went through four of them before I gave up, haha. I think the three-small-emblems ended up nice though.

A group shot to cap it off:

LLzOCWkl.jpg

At this point, I'm declaring my original vow complete. I certainly have a Patrol detachment up there! My next project is to get my hobby space organized better, I've still got Chaplain Dreadnought parts coming in the mail, and a Vindicator I found cheap on ebay. I may vow an auxiliary detachment for one or both of them, or I may just start keeping a log in the BT subforum, not sure.

I definitely learned a ton doing this vow. Last time I was in the hobby, I rarely learned from other people about how to do things, so mostly I was flying blind. This time, I looked up tutorials and listened to what good painters said, and it really let me pick up some new skills fast. I learned what a glaze is, I did some actual basing instead of bare plastic, I used shading and highlighting, it was all just a huge leap over what I did as a teenager. I want to start getting 8e games under my belt before I buy many more units, but I definitely like BT more than ever, and I can see a few options that look really exciting.

Also, I've managed to get back into the hobby without immediately creating a huge Pile of Shame. I'm going to try to maintain that...

Hymnblade, nice work and congratulation on completing your vow. I am glad to hear that the event has helped you get back into the hobby and that you have enjoyed your time here. Do come back if you want when you are ready for either or both the Chaplain Dread and the Vindicator, or anything else for that matter.