Facing the Unknown II

Trokair

Facing the Unknown II Summary of Event

After four months of hobbying and learning our new armies we each have certainly made inroads, some more than others. Thank you all for taking part and I hope you all got as much out of it as I did.

All together we had twenty participants this time round, 10 Imperial, 5 Xenos and 4 Chaos and 1 Titan (Kudos to point_Zer0 for attempting this). Eight participants completed their first vow (with several completing additional vows) and several more got rather close to completing their vows but unforeseen circumstance interfered.

This is all very similar to the first Facing the Unknown with the same number of completions and similar distributions of factions. In fact we technically had a higher completion rate this time as there where two less participants but the same number of first vows completed.

I had anticipated more participants joining after the holidays season as I expected people would start new armies with the goodies received but I guess that I did not advertise the event enough and people were not aware, that or my assumption about when people might start new armies if just plain wrong, would not be the first time.

Regardless of whether you have completed your vows or not I hope it was a worth wile experience and that if the new army is for you, now that you have learned more about it, that you will continue to grow and learn as you collect, and play the army. Feel free to post updates as you make further progress. I know a few found that their chosen army was not really for them at this time and I wish you best of luck with your next project and army.

All who completed their vows can have the following badge in their signature if they wish. Additionally anybody who has failed their vow at the moment but finds the time to redeem themselves by finishing their vow in the future may then also claim the badge at that point.

gallery_29932_13153_7302.jpg

I still suck at making banners and badges, but I hope it is good enough.

Alphabetical list of participants with completed vows, with links to completed vows

Azaiel: Orks

Dreagher: Genestealer Cult , Additional 1 , Additional 2

Focslain: Tau , Additional

Gederas: Night Lordsl , Additional

Hymnblade: Black Templars

Trokair: Adepta Sororitas

Vosyvo: Adepta Sororitas , Additional

Zephaniah Adriyen: Raven Guard

Alphabetical list of participants with outstanding vows, with links to most recent progress (that I could find, feel free to post more up to date progress if you have it)

01RTB01: Dark Eldar

Arkhanist: Death Guard

Blackheart1223: Space Marine (Astral Claws)

Custom Hero: Space Marine (Knights of Lydda)

FlakMonkey - Adepta Sororitas

Heckus: Genestealer Cult

Larkyn: Space Wolves

Nusphigor: Chaos Space Marine (Night Lords)

Overwhelming Odds: Grey Knights

point_Zer0: Adeptus Titanicus

Slave to Darkness: Imperial Guard

TrawlingCleaner: Death Guard

Forfeits

While only a few of us included forfeits in our vows those of us who did and did not finish should now attempt to try and fulfill them.

01RTB01’s forfeit was to do something of our choosing, any suggestions?

Arkhanist’s forfeit was to paint an ultramarine character, any idea who you want to paint?

Custom Hero’s forfeit was a task of our choosing, any suggestions?

TrawlingCleaner’s forfeit a task of our choosing, any suggestions?

For the three of you who left your forfeit in your fellow participant’s hands I personally would suggest the task of either doing 6 objective markers that are on theme for your army. However other participants may have better suggestions. Let us know.

Once again thank you all for taking part and best of luck for continuing and future projects.

The objective markers sound good. I have a few already, but a deals a deal. If you guys wanted, I could put together a nice conversion of a chaplain in phobos armor (I’ve never seen any done). I have the stuff to build a librarian out of Tor Garadon. I will even go as far As building 1 INQ28 character based on the armies of each participant. Point zero, we might have to do a mechanicus character as I don’t have any titans/knights.

What do you guys think? And the offer at the bottom is real. I need NPCs for the game, so having them as reminders when I enter something would still be a positive in my eyes. So to clarify, it looks like 20 converted miniatures to put into my INQ28 collection based on info and armies pledged for this event. Let me know.

Edited by Custom Hero

Well...

Pictures tomorrow!

In terms of my dark Eldar it was a relatively non starting project sadly. Managed two minimal sized troops choices and Drazhar. Although the warriors weren't based, did they need to be?!

I had withdrawal and regret for selling my Tau so they're on slow grow and rebuild.

I also got distracted by an ork spearhead I found in my lgs. Again, pics tomorrow!

As such I've done an ork heavy support detachment, tau patrol during this pledge. Not quite what was intended!!!

Our local club is doing slow grow too - 500 points per month. I'm doing stormcast and my orks. Figured that despite having had orks forever too many unpainted. As such a dread waaagh seemed suitably different and fun.

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed modelling the dreads and kans. For my gorkanaut I'm going to put my meks workshop inside - seemed like a good plan!

I will even go as far As building 1 INQ28 character based on the armies of each participant. Point zero, we might have to do a mechanicus character as I don’t have any titans/knights.

What do you guys think? And the offer at the bottom is real. I need NPCs for the game, so having them as reminders when I enter something would still be a positive in my eyes. So to clarify, it looks like 20 converted miniatures to put into my INQ28 collection based on info and armies pledged for this event. Let me know.

I agree with this, it benefits everyone. We get to see how Custom Hero would handle everyone's armies and he gets some new models and has to play outside his comfort zone as far as paint jobs.

I will even go as far As building 1 INQ28 character based on the armies of each participant. Point zero, we might have to do a mechanicus character as I don’t have any titans/knights.

I agree with this, it benefits everyone. We get to see how Custom Hero would handle everyone's armies and he gets some new models and has to play outside his comfort zone as far as paint jobs.

I agree. That sounds like it'd be cool.

Thank goodness! I prepared for this but looking at the stick I already had and then went to get some orks for converting!

I also figured out how to do point_Zer0‘s model. I’ll just model one of the crew!

I’m going to start an INQ28 thread, but I can post the conversions here too if you guys want.

Edited by Custom Hero

I figured out how to add the inquisition in and play by kill team rule set. Most of the guys I play with are young enough to not know about Inquisitor at all. So, I pitched the idea and they want to give it a go, the caveat being a rule set we all know. Since none of us play Necromunda, Kill Team it is.

Should be pretty fun. I’m mapping out the conversions now.

For a forfeit task I'm good with the objective markers or a piece of terrain. Something the size of one of the faction kits GW has been releasing lately.

Over the weekend I got in a game against a shooty nid player with the whole group. I lost, but gave him a bloody nose. It was more a deployment and tactics thing. I was both spread too thin and not concentrating my fire enough.

Here is a group shot of what I did. Will be making another XV9 and more shield drones later.

Unknown group final

Do you have any terrain to do for your army already? We could make this a win win. I’d love to see what you would do to some of the tau terrain out there. Edited by Custom Hero

Do you have any terrain to do for your army already? We could make this a win win. I’d love to see what you would do to some of the tau terrain out there.

I meant for those that forfeited, I passed this time.

Though I still need to finish that piece from last year. I have the parts, just haven't had time to assemble and paint.

As for Tau terrain I have a good sized shieldwall, but no building or ruins for them. I do happen to have a busted devilfish that I could make into a ruin... hmmm.

Just too bad I'm too lazy to do a piece that would fit with the army I built for this year's. I had the plans drawn up years ago to turn a drone port into a stage with light and music. I even have a few models for idols. Or I could go a step further and there is a game i play that has an AR mode. If I added a stand for my phone I could have a actual performance by one of 10 idols.

Course that would just bash the Macross theme harder then I'd like to my opponent.

Edited by Focslain

Facing the Unknown II Summary of Event

Arkhanist’s forfeit was to paint an ultramarine character, any idea who you want to paint?

I had in mind a Primaris Lieutenant or 2, as I actually have a couple in hand from Dark Imperium - I'd convert up with a suitably poncy helmet crest from the bits box and figure out an airbrush-suitable paint scheme. If you all think that's an insufficient penalty I could probably stretch to buying a primaris captain or the like - Guilliman would be a bit much for the budget!

Custom Hero, that’s quite the challenge you are setting yourself up for. Objective markers or a character would be fine by me, but if you want to do a bunch of NPC for INQ28 then feel free and go for it and best of luck. Feel free to post progress here.

Actually, can I build a character to fit my theme and post it to you to paint and add to your game? As I am having a mechanism subtheme there was a conversion for a Missionary/Preacher/Priest that I had planned but when I acquired so many of the old metal models it felt unnecessary to convert one up when I had more than I can see myself actually fielding.    

01RTB01, basing was not required, so two squads and the Master of Blades are a valid Patrol Detachment. Sounds like you had a case of too many hobby projects at once. I am glad that you got so much done, even if it was not what you had intended at the outset. Good luck with your league.

Arkhanist, a Lieutenant would be fine, even a dead one at you Warlords feet (al the new Abaddon) would be quite fitting I think, if you are willing to cut one up that is.

01RTB01, basing was not required, so two squads and the Master of Blades are a valid Patrol Detachment. Sounds like you had a case of too many hobby projects at once. I am glad that you got so much done, even if it was not what you had intended at the outset. Good luck with your league.

In that case then I technically finished in time, got most of them based and painted to a tabletop standard. I never got round to unit markings though, but I never do those anyway. Ill try get a decent picture of what I did later if I can get a good light source. 

Custom Hero, that’s quite the challenge you are setting yourself up for. Objective markers or a character would be fine by me, but if you want to do a bunch of NPC for INQ28 then feel free and go for it and best of luck. Feel free to post progress here.

Actually, can I build a character to fit my theme and post it to you to paint and add to your game? As I am having a mechanism subtheme there was a conversion for a Missionary/Preacher/Priest that I had planned but when I acquired so many of the old metal models it felt unnecessary to convert one up when I had more than I can see myself actually fielding.    

Arkhanist, a Lieutenant would be fine, even a dead one at you Warlords feet (al the new Abaddon) would be quite fitting I think, if you are willing to cut one up that is.

Tempting as that is, I need to do one in all his "spiritual liege" Matt Wardian Ultramarines-are-the-perfection-that-all-Chapters-aspire-to, and do my best to make him look good. That's the price of my failure. *shudder*

Focslain: sorry brother, I was reading that post just before heading out to a job interview and thinking you were trying to come up with a project.

Trokair: I’d be both humbled and honored. It would be a blessing to have one of your models in my collection. PM me with what you need and we can make it happen.

I’m looking forward to this and hope you guys like what I get done to represent your armies. I plan on posting them in groupings. Space Marines (including Grey Knights) will be first as I have all of those parts ready available. I have some parts on the way from Bitzbox for some of the others. The rest I just have to get into my hobby closet and see where inspiration takes me.

Edited by Custom Hero

Focslain: sorry brother, I was reading that post just before heading out to a job interview and thinking you were trying to come up with a project.

Trokair: I’d be both humbled and honored. It would be a blessing to have one of your models in my collection. PM me with what you need and we can make it happen.

I’m looking forward to this and hope you guys like what I get done to represent your armies. I plan on posting them in groupings. Space Marines (including Grey Knights) will be first as I have all of those parts ready available. I have some parts on the way from Bitzbox for some of the others. The rest I just have to get into my hobby closet and see where inspiration takes me.

Any particular plans for the Raven Guard?

Good luck Arkanist with your penance, I am sure you can paint a fine son of the 13th Legion.

Slave to Darkness, pictures are welcome, and as I said in the summary I know quite a few of you got really close to finishing/ had finished but had not posted this in time. Alas the important thing is that you had a good time and have more painted models and the start of a new army.  

The objective markers sound good. I have a few already, but a deals a deal. If you guys wanted, I could put together a nice conversion of a chaplain in phobos armor (I’ve never seen any done). I have the stuff to build a librarian out of Tor Garadon. I will even go as far As building 1 INQ28 character based on the armies of each participant. Point zero, we might have to do a mechanicus character as I don’t have any titans/knights.

Also went back and read this ^

If your doing a character from each of our armies, what were you thinking of for  mine? If you need ideas just give me at least what unit(s) your looking at adding and I can give you a few ref picts for design and colour schemes.

I was thinking of doing something with a fire warrior/breacher. I have a couple of those boxes. Maybe even incorporating some design elements from Robotech in the form of the Southern Cross.

https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/robotech-the-masters

A mecha series is a mecha series. Oh if you want to see the latest from

Tatsunoko check out The Price of Smiles.

If you want some human sized villains I'd suggest going for an Emulator (MacII) or Star Singer (Delta, google search star singer Mikumo for ref). Their effectively the same think, controlling others thru song.

This could be best represented on the battlefield as a magus from the GSC army. Granted this isn't a Tau representative, but the army was built on a theme and took the closest army rules to represent that theme.

Or you can go for a Slannesh daemon to represent a ProtoDeviln (Mac7)

Just a few ideas.