Facing the Unknown II

Trokair

I got another 4 Battle Sisters complete, the Penitent Engine, and a Missionary - which I had actually finished up about 2 weeks ago, but bought and painted him while I waited for my pre-order box set to arrive. 

The scheme is actually decently fast for the base troops, with all the base armour colours complete with the airbrush and wash mix. 

1037899-Adepta%20Sororitas%2C%20Battle%2

Here’s my official starting list. Lugft Huron is assembled and I’m working on the Tac squad.

++ Patrol Detachment (Imperium - Space Marines) [18 PL, 286pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Astral Claws

+ HQ +

Lugft Huron [11 PL, 145pts]

+ Troops +

Tactical Squad [7 PL, 141pts]

. 7x Space Marine

. Space Marine Sergeant

. . Boltgun/Bolt pistol

. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter

. Space Marine w/Special Weapon: Plasma gun

++ Total: [18 PL, 286pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Well I got one drone done.

Ghostwip3

Rest are in assembly line painting, I got the green and started on the grey lining.

Ghostdronewip5

Would have done more if I was felling better and not got distracted adding 12 hours to my Stellaris playthrough.

After I get these and the suits done I'm going to look at getting to work on the stormsurge. I need to get his base done before I start.

Also need to see about doing some bits trades because I'd like to get one more old school suit and some more of the mk1 missile pods for my vf-1 squad

Might look into making a commander in the drone scheme, thinking CIB, MP, SG, and of course, drone controller

Edited by Focslain

Now that the academic quarter is over, I got to sit down and paint for a whole afternoon, so I finished up some HQs:

5ejZVDKl.jpg

This was my first real attempt at a couple of new techniques, and the first time I've done more than minor highlighting (because contrast paints allow cheating). The staircase base was an experiment, and I attempted some NMM-style obsidian for the Black Sword, which looks OK on one side and kind of weird on the other, but oh well.

This morning, I also ordered some bits to combine with a Venerable Dreadnought box to make a chaplain dread. This is probably going to replace the Redemptor that was in my target army list. I love dreadnoughts, but the more I think about it, the more it feels like the Redemptor isn't my favorite choice, both strategically and thematically.

Vossyvo, looking great there. I had pretty much the same idea with the Blackstone guy, I have one ready to be built. Also could you do take a picture of the back of the Penitent Engine, I am toying with an idea for a conversion but I cannot judge from the instructions how far back the internal components reach and I rather not go in blind with the cutting.

Focslain, does drone are really coming along, how many is that now? 5 pairs?

Hymnblade, the staircase base worked well from here. Is it just four layers of plastic card cut to shape?

Good luck with the chaplain dreadnaught.

My own progress over the last week and a bit has been more meager, a few more models built and converted. Three Blackstone guys with some minor conversions and an arm swap became arcos 4 through 6, and one of the repentia swapped her weapon with an electro staff.

gallery_29932_13153_85632.jpg

Two weeks out, lads. I'm having Christmas actually on Christmas this year, I do believe, so we're two weeks out. I'll be having one big Christmas modelling session where I build the entire Shadowspear box minus the Oblits, which were promised to a friend of mine in exchange for Shrike - who I already have - as well as a box of Bloodletters for summoning purposes. I have a question - how DONE do my lads have to be to not have "failed"? Built? Painted to the same standard as the rest of my stuff?

Hymnblade, the staircase base worked well from here. Is it just four layers of plastic card cut to shape?

Good luck with the chaplain dreadnaught.

My own progress over the last week and a bit has been more meager, a few more models built and converted. Three Blackstone guys with some minor conversions and an arm swap became arcos 4 through 6, and one of the repentia swapped her weapon with an electro staff.

gallery_29932_13153_85632.jpg

Yep, just layers of plasticard. I also had to bend the feet a little for them to be flat on the ground, but fortunately it's an old pewter model, so some pliers can bend it without damage.

I know it's not really how they'll look, but the Sisters floating in air with their flowing tabards is kind of a cool effect, haha.

Two weeks out, lads. I'm having Christmas actually on Christmas this year, I do believe, so we're two weeks out. I'll be having one big Christmas modelling session where I build the entire Shadowspear box minus the Oblits, which were promised to a friend of mine in exchange for Shrike - who I already have - as well as a box of Bloodletters for summoning purposes. I have a question - how DONE do my lads have to be to not have "failed"? Built? Painted to the same standard as the rest of my stuff?

The finish date is the end of February, isn't it? Or am I misunderstanding your question?

The finish date is the end of February, isn't it? Or am I misunderstanding your question?

Yeah, the finish date is. I'm two weeks out from getting my stuff, and I said that separately, effectively, from my question - which was "how done do my lads have to be to finish".

Hello.

Last saturday i traded a bunch of fantasy minis and got the admech side of a forge bane box.

I was wondering, may I change my vow to a patrol detachment of admech and an auxiliary of imperial knights with two armigers?

Zephaniah Adriyen, they have to be table top ready, however what that entails is up to you. I would expect something along the lines of built and say the usual 3 colour minimum kind of thing.  If you are pressed for time and skip highlights and basing and so on that is fine as long as they are in a state where you are willing to put them on the table for a game.

Good luck with the buildfest.

Hymnblade, ah, I had assumed that the chaplain had been standing on a rock or something that you had cut away. One advantage of the old models I guess.

Nusphigor, while there is provision to change army in the event rules you would have to finish a patrol of your alpha Legion first. Your lord looked decently far along the last I saw, and a 5 man troop squad should not take too long I would think. I also do not mind if while finishing the painting on the current vow you start building some stuff for the AdMech as long as it is just basic builds and no major conversions. I find that mixing up building and painting sessions helps gets things done without getting stagnated. It’s why I have so much unpainted stuff as I can build quicker then I can paint.

Focslain, those drones are really coming along, how many is that now? 5 pairs?

Six pairs actually. One done and 5 in painting. Would have finished last night if I wasn't distracted watching Watchmen (series).

Also I'm going to redesign the rifles on the suits to make them longer. Adding a stock to the burst cannon ones will help, but for the CIBs I'm going to have to change the main body and extend the barrel. Just have to figure how that will look decent.

This army is slowly becoming 'that army' the one with 40 drones and a riptide wing. At 2K it will have two riptides and with the added shield drones coming due to the points dropping I'm nearing two dozen drones.

I also want to find an excuse to use the Bork relic, I have a nice rifle planned but outside of the riptides, none of the army can really use the sept trait.

Edited by Focslain

Zephaniah Adriyen, they have to be table top ready, however what that entails is up to you. I would expect something along the lines of built and say the usual 3 colour minimum kind of thing.  If you are pressed for time and skip highlights and basing and so on that is fine as long as they are in a state where you are willing to put them on the table for a game.

Good luck with the buildfest.

Hymnblade, ah, I had assumed that the chaplain had been standing on a rock or something that you had cut away. One advantage of the old models I guess.

Nusphigor, while there is provision to change army in the event rules you would have to finish a patrol of your alpha Legion first. Your lord looked decently far along the last I saw, and a 5 man troop squad should not take too long I would think. I also do not mind if while finishing the painting on the current vow you start building some stuff for the AdMech as long as it is just basic builds and no major conversions. I find that mixing up building and painting sessions helps gets things done without getting stagnated. It’s why I have so much unpainted stuff as I can build quicker then I can paint.

I understand. Thanks, i shall finish that patrol first!

Just need to tidy up the gun casings and my guards done... Yay

Same. I just need to finish the symbols and do the highlights/lightning/eye glow and my second squad of 6 is done.

Which also means my Call of Chaos vow is also about to be done. Woo!

And the drones are ready for field work.

Dronegdone

With the points drop I'm going to make two more later to have two flights of them, one for my main force and the other to support my artillery attachment later.

The artillery group being a Supreme Command detachment of Bork'an.

Basically the following:
XV8 Commander in iridian armour, relic PR, MP, SG, DC
2x Fireblade cadre (marker drones)
Riptide
Stormsurge

I'll add my 31s (XV9s) to the main vanguard force which is T'au sept.

Though looking at this I can only have three drones in the SCD, but might as well build an extra if I break the group up and mag the Commander to give him a CIB if I'm not Borking his group.

Speaking of CIBs, making the thing look longer might be easier then I thought. So I took the stock idea, its the back of the drone pulse carbine, and thinned it by removing the stabilizer? from the 'bottom'.

Comparison pict below:

CIB rifle

For the VF-1s (bc, 2x MP suit squad) I'm going to have to make a frame around the back since I believe that cylinder at the end of the gun is the ammo box.

Update:

LJybwbg.jpg

That's my painting vow finished. Now I just need to get a game in with them :laugh.:

Ooh, those are some pretty Night Lords. I've tempted myself with doing a Kill Team of some Traitor Legion or another, be it AL or NL; I think this has tipped me over the edge. What's your paint recipe, anything special?

Edited by Zephaniah Adriyen

Painted up three plastic Jump Packs in my RG Black (basecoat Abaddon Black -> heavy drybrush Army Painter Uniform Grey -> heavy wash Nuln Oil -> touch-ups) because I like them better than the "basically grav-chutes" ones. I redid Shrike's jump pack the other day, too. Can anyone guess what part I actually used for it? It's a pretty specific Jump Pack, and I know exactly where it came from.

med_gallery_137555_15942_1360820.jpg

Update:

LJybwbg.jpg

That's my painting vow finished. Now I just need to get a game in with them :laugh.:

Ooh, those are some pretty Night Lords. I've tempted myself with doing a Kill Team of some Traitor Legion or another, be it AL or NL; I think this has tipped me over the edge. What's your paint recipe, anything special?

It's actually pretty simple:

1. Prime Black
  2. Basecoat with Night Lords Blue for the Armour, Iron Warriors for soft armour/ribbing, Leabelcher for metal on weapons/chainmail, Ushabti Bone for the bone areas, Mephiston Red for the Cloth. Balthazar Gold for visible ammunition.
  3. Trim is Warplock Bronze with Sycorax Bronze over it
  4. Wash everything with Nuln Oiil
  5. Highlight the bronze with Sycorax again. Brighten the blue back up with Night Lords Blue, same with Mephiston Red on the cloth. Highlight the bone with more Ushabti Bone. At this point, I paint weapon casings with Abaddon Black (being careful to not get any on the silver working bits)
  6. Blue armour is highlighted with Teclis Blue.
  7. The red on the Legion symbol is Mephiston Red > Carroburg Crimson > Mephiston (Layer) > Evil Sunz Scarlet
  8. Lightning is Lothern Blue and Baharroth Blue.

The eyes are just copying the "Red Eyes OSL" tutorial from the August 2019 White Dwarf.

Update:

LJybwbg.jpg

It's actually pretty simple:

1. Prime Black
  2. Basecoat with Night Lords Blue for the Armour, Iron Warriors for soft armour/ribbing, Leabelcher for metal on weapons/chainmail, Ushabti Bone for the bone areas, Mephiston Red for the Cloth. Balthazar Gold for visible ammunition.
  3. Trim is Warplock Bronze with Sycorax Bronze over it
  4. Wash everything with Nuln Oiil
  5. Highlight the bronze with Sycorax again. Brighten the blue back up with Night Lords Blue, same with Mephiston Red on the cloth. Highlight the bone with more Ushabti Bone. At this point, I paint weapon casings with Abaddon Black (being careful to not get any on the silver working bits)
  6. Blue armour is highlighted with Teclis Blue.
  7. The red on the Legion symbol is Mephiston Red > Carroburg Crimson > Mephiston (Layer) > Evil Sunz Scarlet
  8. Lightning is Lothern Blue and Baharroth Blue.

The eyes are just copying the "Red Eyes OSL" tutorial from the August 2019 White Dwarf.

I like my models a little darker than most (also I'm lazy)... might grab a box of CSM and some NL upgrades, copy your recipe up to the black wash, then do the red on the Legion symbol and the lightning the same as you did.

Hello guys!

Here is an update on my pledge. I switched to Night Lords as the alphas bored me.

More pics on my advances in my thread here

Here is how the chaos Lord is at the moment. I still have to paint the legion symbols, the reds and the gun casing. But overall i'm almost finishing it and next will be a 10 man squad of chaos marines / tactical veterans.

Here is a pic:

79704375_10156886052244150_8865326718198

Cheers!

Edit: I have edited the vow, as the only things to change are the name of the legion and lord arkos to a chaos lord.

Edited by nusphigor

Nusphigor, change noted and all ok as it is from the same codex. I do like the lightning effect you have going on your newly christened Night Lords, some nice conversion over in your other thread as well.

Zephaniah Adriyen, my gut says jump pack chaplain from 3rd edition but I am probably wrong.

Gederas, nice work, they look really menacing. How did you get the skull in the helmet on the trophy pole?  

I like my models a little darker than most (also I'm lazy)... might grab a box of CSM and some NL upgrades, copy your recipe up to the black wash, then do the red on the Legion symbol and the lightning the same as you did.

Just be aware, if you don't do the Night Lords blue back over the Nuln Oil wash, it's really dark.

Like "that's blue? I thought you just used black paint" dark :lol:

Gederas, nice work, they look really menacing. How did you get the skull in the helmet on the trophy pole?  

It's from the Chaos Marine box actually. The Champion backpack has two variant plates, one of them has a Primaris helmet on a spike, with the skull of the Marine still in it.