Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Valdor: Birth of the Imperium

• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

StrangerOrders

StrangerOrders

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 142 posts

Making my way through the book, about 3/5ths through so far.

I am somewhat perplexed. Almost all of the issues I had from the early spoilers folks pointed out aren't addressed, mostly because they don't actually exist. The work seems to be in the broad strokes perfectly inline with Forgeworld. 

The rest of the book is marvelous though and I am somewhat reminded of Wraight's usual habit of tricking readers into overlooking the flaws of PoVs if you are not careful to dissociate. 

Most tellingly, this is a book that dwells heavily on doubt and fear. This is hardly new to 40k and especially with regards to the Emp's more 'purely monstrous' angle that alot of the fanbase is holding onto for dear life these days. 

But thats the brilliant thing about this book really, if you take a step back from it almost every single PoV is almost clinically narcissistic and self-impressed in the extreme.

My favourite example is probably the one accusing the Emp of playing god while having cultivated a literal cult to herself.

Will post more when finished but so far it is already a marvelous book and I am glad as all hell I didn't let the spoilers turn me off.

• Sandlemad, fire golem, Ingo Pech and 4 others like this

Sandlemad

Sandlemad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,887 posts

So what's up with this book's release? Amazon had the paperback advertised but no ebook, it's not available in any format on the BL website... I don't understand. I knew BL was awful at marketing their books but this is barely acknowledging its existence.

theSpirea

theSpirea

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 104 posts

So what's up with this book's release? Amazon had the paperback advertised but no ebook, it's not available in any format on the BL website... I don't understand. I knew BL was awful at marketing their books but this is barely acknowledging its existence.

For unknown reasons, the official release (hardcover + ebook) was delayed. if I'm not mistaken, it was originally scheduled for 01.02. or 08.02. However, a few bookstores and e-shops received the hardcover copies and were selling them. Now, the official release is 21.03.

We can only speculate what was the reason, the only communication I saw from BL was "sorry, we had to reschedule".

• RedFurioso likes this

Sandlemad

Sandlemad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,887 posts

For unknown reasons, the official release (hardcover + ebook) was delayed. if I'm not mistaken, it was originally scheduled for 01.02. or 08.02. However, a few bookstores and e-shops received the hardcover copies and were selling them. Now, the official release is 21.03.

We can only speculate what was the reason, the only communication I saw from BL was "sorry, we had to reschedule".

Ah, thanks. I was aware of some places selling copies early but didn't know of this larger issue. Bizarre and irritating.

• RedFurioso and Taliesin like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users