Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Valdor: Birth of the Imperium

• Please log in to reply
414 replies to this topic

Scribe

Scribe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,256 posts
  • Faction: Khorne
I think its an open question on if she knew anything about the long game (conquest of the galaxy) anyway isn't it?

Smash Fascists.

DISOBEY

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,990 posts
IIRC she had very little if any inkling of the Long Game. Not disclosing the galactic Long Game or the nature of the great foe is essentially the "Imperial Lie".

She was surprised when [I think] Valdor mentioned conquest of the galaxy after consolidation on Terra. She thought the Emperor's intent was merely global dominion and reimpostion of law and order on Terra.
  • Phoebus likes this

Scribe

Scribe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,256 posts
  • Faction: Khorne

Yeah, that was absolutely the impression I got. She thought she was rebuilding earth, and the TW's were loyal and should not have been culled by what to her, was an overreaching Valdor.

She had no clue on the grander picture.

• Phoebus likes this

Smash Fascists.

DISOBEY

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,990 posts

Is it beyond that realm of possibility that Kandawire could develop a personal philosophy based on the pursuit of principles? Of course not. Is it likely that this would happen given the context of her story? Honestly, it strikes me as far-fetched. As a very young child, she got a very basic introduction on how things might be — before her world fell apart at the hands of cannibal marauders. Her mentor and replacement parent doesn’t come off as an idealist (quite the contrary), and the story doesn’t allude to him nonetheless encouraging that world-view.

I don't think your opinion is unreasonable. This isn't a perfect book by any means, though I do think it is a strong offering, especially by BL standards. 

I didn't have much of an impression of her mentor to be honest (but I am personally someone who has views quite different from that of my own mentor figure...after starting out with similar views), so that bit doesn't strike me as too much of a wrench in the story. 

Yes, her belief that Valdor was doing something without the Emperor's knowledge could be termed naive from our view, but Kandawire struck me as little more than a useful instrument, a high-ranking cog if you will (who ended up as a disillusioned ex-cog). She seemed...not privy to quite a few things (like the Emperor's end-game and, apparently, the nature of the Custodes and their bond to the Emperor).

She wasn't 100% sure what Valdor was playing at, so she tried to force some sort of admission or explanation from him until the last second. Valdor knew what she was up to and strung her along, using her as an instrument (again) to flush out the undesirables due for elimination. 

Phoebus

Phoebus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,152 posts
  • Faction: Luciferi Imperialis

I don’t think Kandawire acting out of ignorance makes the story any stronger or more plausible. Beyond that, I know it sounds a little contradictory, but I actually rather enjoyed Valdor and what it proposed. I just didn’t think Kandawire was a strong premise for it.

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,091 posts
  • Faction: None - I'm a fluff nerd.
Guys,
Can you (please) continue to use spoiler tags?
As far as I'm aware, Valdor isn't available in every country.
Yes, it's initial release is already quite a while ago. Nonetheless, I'll keep reminding you until that won't be needed anymore. ;)

#beinganagger
  • Phoebus likes this

Lost Legion, the Predators                                                     Liber Astartes Swap Challenge 2019   

tn_gallery_87379_12273_68539.jpg gallery_26154_15777_13780.png 

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

This is my mod voice. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My mod voice is a means to an end.

Let us avoid it, alright?

Subtleknife

Subtleknife

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 706 posts
I listened to the audio version and do have the LE too.

The LE version looks really nice. I am very happy with it.

The audio book is top notch too.

I thought the story was great. A bit slower than most 40k books but I really liked that.

Enosh

Enosh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 52 posts

not sure if this was mentioned yet but I was wondering if those short blades the custodes carry have any kind of name and actually found something relevant to this book:

"The Misericordia ("blade of mercy") is a weapon usually in the form of a long dagger or short sword carried by the Legio Custodes, and later Adeptus Custodes, as a symbol of the Magisterium Lex Ultima which places them above all law except the direct authority of the Emperor of Mankind."

kinda funny in light of the book because it makes all the actions done by Kandawire pointless, the Custodes are literally above the law, they even get fancy swords to signify that 

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 931 posts

Is it confirmed that they had them by that time period?

Enosh

Enosh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 52 posts

not sure about that, lexicanum list the source as HH:Inferno, so it around during the heresy, but maybe only came into effect after the events of the book

Sandlemad

Sandlemad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,012 posts

Yeah, Valdor even uses his one. The broader symbolism was there, that of life and death and ultimate authority, which predated the custodes.

I think Kandawire can be forgiven for not grasping that the Emperor was being extremely literal when he has his bodyguards bear them though, particularly when the nascent lex's significance was still being ironed out.

Edited by Sandlemad, 12 May 2020 - 08:08 PM.

Umbros

Umbros

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 26 posts

Look at it like the British Royalty - technically they have certain powers and authority but just because they could execute that power doesn't mean they can in real terms. People rationalise things all the time to suit their world view. 

Also, she may not have been aware of misericordia.

gallery_48988_10069_25496.png

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,990 posts
I'm not sure whether Kandawire has reason to read that much into what appears to be a Custodian's side-arm. She doesn't have a copy of FW Inferno, so unless the dagger's significance has been explained to her by the Emperor...
  • Lord_Caerolion likes this

Sandlemad

Sandlemad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,012 posts
Inferno makes out that it was pretty widespread as a pan-Terran symbol of authority but that its specific custodes-intended symbolism (that the custodes were above/outside all authority but the Emperor’s) was a new development.

Think of it like a fasces, putting aside its 20th century symbolic associations. It’s like if you looked at a fasces and thought “fine, I’ve seen that on seals and banners and letterheads, the person with this has some vague association with the legal system” only to find out that no, the fasces-carrier has been given it to show their extremely literal power of executive authority, and also they can use it chop you in two without repercussion.

You weren’t wrong about everything but the situation had changed fairly fundamentally beyond the surface level, more than you could have anticipated, and the assumptions you had didn’t hold up. As with Kandawire. “You thought it was one way but it’s the other way.”
  • bluntblade likes this

Bobss

Bobss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 86 posts

Spoiler

Edited by Bobss, 08 June 2020 - 02:46 PM.

• Lord_Caerolion and Sandlemad like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users