Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Valdor: Birth of the Imperium

• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,608 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

Probably something along the lines of "wow, this just sounds like he's reciting that book God Delusion by Richard Dawkins"?

Sorry, not a fan of Last Church, just sounded like fanfic of some new teen atheist. Instead of going into the actual reasons for the Imperial Truth (there are powers out there that use religion for their own nefarious purposes, by denying them worship we weaken them), the Emperor just parrots the usual "but you can't prove God exists therefore he doesn't, checkmate theists!"

Yes it was lazy writing. It tried to attach itself to nu atheism which was all the rage at the time. I’m not generally a fan of my fiction trying to reflect today’s political trends.

I didn't see it that way but its a good point. I saw it more as him not wanting to even really hint at individual sentient powers even as a possibility to people who don't know how the warp/ chaos works. Those that do either he recruits them if they are not corrupted or just destroys them if they are/ likely to fall later. Otherwise, using other understood established concepts to debate/ explain makes sense. Also I think Valdor is switched on enough to work out why psykers aren't in the custodes, so we won't see much there. 

• DarKnight likes this
gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

Lord_Caerolion

Lord_Caerolion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,553 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Sobek

I mean, you're not wrong, it's just that the story comes across as like something written by a kid who just found out about Dawkins. It's exactly the same old tired cliches, with the priest there as nothing more than to give the most feeble of arguments for the Emperor to respond back with "yes, but you can't prove it, therefore religion is stupid and you're wrong, because science". It's basically nothing more than the Cliff-notes of The God Delusion.

"And then Horus landed on the Moon, which looked like the moon. Funny that, isn't it?"

You're hired.

Angel_of_Blood

Angel_of_Blood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 260 posts
Started reading it, not too far in but already come across my first new lore tidbit that’s very interesting.

Spoiler

• Taliesin and Aramis K like this

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,934 posts
  • Faction: Legio Mordaxis

Can't say I'm too fond of that. Look forward to getting my hands on this down the road though

• DarkChaplain and Runefyre like this

bl-logo.jpg

Sons of Horus 29th Company
ἐλεφαντάρχης

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,608 posts

Sounds like the Emperor just had the organization in mind, minus the ideal forces involved. Good base, bad parts evidently. 

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,608 posts

I mean, you're not wrong, it's just that the story comes across as like something written by a kid who just found out about Dawkins. It's exactly the same old tired cliches, with the priest there as nothing more than to give the most feeble of arguments for the Emperor to respond back with "yes, but you can't prove it, therefore religion is stupid and you're wrong, because science". It's basically nothing more than the Cliff-notes of The God Delusion.

The Emperor kinda always modulated himself based off to whom he was speaking, he never voluntarily tips his true hand/ thoughts unless he is in a corner is how I saw it. Maybe he was purposefully doing it in a blase way in the hopes the priest actually knew about the warp and chaos proper, thus outing himself. Even then, the Emperor was still interested in the man regardless, hence the offer. I still get where you are coming from though, I am probably over analyzing at this point. 

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,289 posts

not that i dont agree, but bottom line science/atheism essentially just boils down to that, doesn’t it?

Sounds like the Emperor just had the organization in mind, minus the ideal forces involved. Good base, bad parts evidently.

could have been his test run for the eventual real deal. how does this mix work?

it’d be interesting to know if there were similar issues played out with the test
  • DarKnight likes this
can't touch this
can't touch this
can't touch this
warhammer time!

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,608 posts

could have been his test run for the eventual real deal. how does this mix work?

it’d be interesting to know if there were similar issues played out with the test

I think it might come down to what the thunder warriors actually are- proto astartes or knock off build custodes. Current combat power level is what, Custodes > Thunder Warrior > Astartes ? I always felt their prowess near a Custodes, plus the Custodes likely did most of the culling, Legionaries mainly perimeter security instead. I don't recall any Terran vets remembering killing Thunder Warriors at that time in the books. The unique legion functions maybe exclusively due to limited combat style adjustments, ie thunder warriors only being smart enough to do one very well. Legionaries being mentally stable enough to be flexible in combat, though Emperor still sees value in "signature warfare" of individualized legions. 

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,289 posts

I think it might come down to what the thunder warriors actually are- proto astartes or knock off build custodes. Current combat power level is what, Custodes > Thunder Warrior > Astartes ? I always felt their prowess near a Custodes, plus the Custodes likely did most of the culling, Legionaries mainly perimeter security instead. I don't recall any Terran vets remembering killing Thunder Warriors at that time in the books. The unique legion functions maybe exclusively due to limited combat style adjustments, ie thunder warriors only being smart enough to do one very well. Legionaries being mentally stable enough to be flexible in combat, though Emperor still sees value in "signature warfare" of individualized legions.

it could go any way, though i think i’d prefer thunder warriors to be their own thing

the prowess is an afterthought for me. and once you’re at that trans human level it seems a bit silly to have too many tiers. though i like the astartes being “superior” in a “jack of all trades” kinda way

are thunder warriors not mentally enhanced as well? i know the guys in tOD were struggling somewhat mentally but i thought that was due to deteriorating not that they were brutes. the leader was confident he could work with gene seed after all

as far as i recall, i think warhounds are the only recorded astartes who hunted thunderwarriors
can't touch this
can't touch this
can't touch this
warhammer time!

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,608 posts

I think the very fact thunder warriors deteriorate like that mentally at all seems to further support they can't attain a jack of all trades mastery of warfare, hence the necessity of specializing. Also confidence and intelligence are not necessarily mutually exclusive/ linked either in regards to mental capacity. eg the confident idiot/ brave fool, the guarded intellectual etc. 

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,289 posts
no doubt, dunning krugers exist

but deterioration after some period of time doesn’t mean they couldn’t have been exceptional at their peak
can't touch this
can't touch this
can't touch this
warhammer time!

Angel_of_Blood

Angel_of_Blood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 260 posts
Well finished it. Expanded thoughts later, but to address some of the above.

Spoiler

• Sandlemad, Robbienw and Kelborn like this

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,289 posts

Well finished it. Expanded thoughts later, but to address some of the above.

Spoiler

Spoiler

can't touch this
can't touch this
can't touch this
warhammer time!

Angel_of_Blood

Angel_of_Blood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 260 posts
Spoiler

• mc warhammer and DarKnight like this

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,289 posts
dang
  • DarKnight likes this
can't touch this
can't touch this
can't touch this
warhammer time!

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,608 posts
Mind blown. I must read this.

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,602 posts
@ Angel of Blood

Spoiler

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,912 posts
  • Faction: None - I'm a fluff nerd.
Is it just about what you've posted or does it focus on the Imperium itself, politics, state, outfleshing the era, etc.?

Edited by Kelborn, 31 October 2019 - 06:10 AM.

Lost Legion, the Predators                                                     Liber Astartes Swap Challenge 2019   

tn_gallery_87379_12273_68539.jpg gallery_26154_15777_13780.png 

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

This is my mod voice. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My mod voice is a means to an end.

Let us avoid it, alright?

Sandlemad

Sandlemad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,889 posts

The idea of

Spoiler

Angel_of_Blood

Angel_of_Blood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 260 posts

@ Angel of Blood

Spoiler

Spoiler

Is it just about what you've posted or does it focus on the Imperium itself, politics, state, outfleshing the era, etc.?

That is the end result, but it does through that go into the new politics of the Imperium. There's a good bit of world building for what Terra is like at that time and what it was like.

Edited by Kelborn, 31 October 2019 - 12:57 PM.

• Kelborn likes this

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,075 posts

Spoiler

Angel_of_Blood

Angel_of_Blood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 260 posts