Castellan Draco - Excommunicate Traitoris?

Wow this is crazy weird...I mean he worked with Inquisitors didn't he? Even gifted a sword...who the hell excommunicated him?

Krash

or maybe it will be a bigger part of a story will be told when Rogal Dorn comes back...

It's not our Draco. It's Jaq Draco, an inquisitor who went rogue and was declared a renegade. He also had worked with the Imperial Fists before which explains why Torgadon knows him.  Furthermore, our Draco was in the Vinculus Crusade which as we know was centuries ago. So Torgadon was not alive during that period and therefore could never have known our Draco.

it is what i thought.

Last time we heard of Draco he was killing humans that allied with the Tau but that was 6th ed.

Also Draco should be as old as Grimaldus as both are veterans of the Vinculus crusade, hell Helbrecht was a neophyte in that Crusade so it wasnt that long ago in Astartes years.

Cant remember. What publication?

It might only be peripheral lore for an Imperial Fists character, but it's momentous for the Black Templars. It puts to bed any notion that the Black Templars are somehow immune to corruption (not everyone subscribes to that notion, but enough Black Templars fans have voiced their support for it that official lore to the contrary settles the issue).

More importantly, if there is a Black Templars codex supplement or Index Astartes article, I hope that some light is shed on Castellan Draco's terrible deeds.

And now I might have to convert one of my Draco minis into a heretic. :devil:

i hope that story goes on... But I dont think we will get anything else then rules in PA2... not even a bit of fluff.

Draco is a Black Templars Castellan and follows all the appropriate rules presented in Codex: Black Templars. He must be used as presented here and purchase no additional weapons or wargear. He may however been given a Command squad at the usual cost.

gallery_26_7488_1332.jpg
D
raco first rose to prominence as part of Marshal Ludoldus' Sword Brethren during the bitter Vinculus Crusade. A once-mighty Inquisitor Lord, Vinculus had fallen and succumbed to the ways of the heretic and the Daemon worshipper. Both the Black Templars and the Battle Sisters of the Order of the Bloody Rose, who had been the Inquisitor's former allies, combined to crush the cancer of Vinculus' treachery before it could spread. They finally cornered the arch-traitor in the volcano-mines of the Pelergon IV, with Draco leading the Sword Brethren in assaulting the heart of the heretic's power. In Vinculus' blasphemous temple, hidden deep within the mine network, the Astartes and the Battle Sisters encircled the enemy so none could escape. For hours, Draco and his battle-brothers held the breach against waves of blood-cultists and their mutated beasts. Eventually though, even the mighty Black Templars began to fall. The survivors became ever more zealous in their fury, determined to hold until the last. It was then that the Khornate Daemon that wore Vinculus' flesh came forth to destroy the blood-soaked champions. In the brutal battle that followed, the terrible Daemon slew the remaining Sword Brethren only to fall at last with Draco's blade piercing its black heart. With the death of their master the cultists fled into disarray and their resistance collapsed, as did the walls of the temple. The Black Templars and Sororitas made short work of purging the outer galleries of the tainted filth and it was Marshall Ludoldus himself who fought his way to the breach where Draco's brave band had fought. Draco's smashed and broken body, burned by the fires of the Warp and shattered by the stones of the fallen temple, was recovered miraculously still alive from the ruins. He was carried with great reverence back to the Marshal's strike cruiser and heralded as a living paragon of righteousness.

"Heralded as a living paragon of righteousness."

Slowly and painfully reconstructed with the finest bionics the Chapter's apothecaries could devise, Draco was bestowed with the rank of Castellan and given a relic suit of the Chapter's finest armour. This suit was his badge of honour, and Draco was further recognised when presented with the former Inquisitor's blade as a mark of gratitude from the Ordo Hereticus.

Since then, Draco's career has gone from strength-to-strength. He has earned both the respect of his peers and much glory, leading numerous heroic boarding action in the Isaac Cluster Pirate Wars and against the splinters of Hive Fleet Leviathan. Currently, he is charged with his own independent command, leading a crusading force of his brethren against the incursions of the xenos Tau.

[i've omitted his profile/rules]

SCENARIO: ASSAULT ON TOWNSHIP 7

PLANET ETORRAS – EASTERN FRINGE

Castellan Draco and his Black Templars have been charged with conducting punishment raids against human colonies that have fallen under the alien influence of the Tau. The assault on settlement of Alpha 7 illustrated here represents one such conflict where the Tau have managed to respond in force to the incursion, aided by the by the legendary Commander O'Shova.

One side is designated as the attacker and the other as the defender. Both players should roll a D6 – the player who scores highest may choose which to be.

Historical Re-fight: If you are playing this scenario as a historical re-enactment, you should use armies of 2,000 points. The Black Templars, led by Castellan Draco, will always be the attackers, while the Tau, led by Commander Farsight (including his special rules for army selection), are always the defenders.

Play the Seek and Destroy mission from page 82 of the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook and include the following rule for all scenario levels.

Dust Storm: Due to the nature of the planet and its erratic orbit, it is often beset by violent dust storms that scour the very surface of the world, forcing the inhabitants to take cover in shelters. These storms have been known to last for days at a time or even disappear as suddenly as they started. Indeed, it was these storms that were responsible for delaying much of the Imperial forces present on the surface.

Roll a dice at the beginning of each players turn. On the roll of a 4+ the rules for Night Fight (page 84, Warhammer 40,000 rule book) will be used for that players turn as all visibility is lost as the sand storms lash the surface of the planet. All skimmers, Jetbikes, jump infantry and jet pack troops must make a Dangerous Terrain test if they move as the sand clogs jet intakes and plays havoc with gravitic engines.

So there's apparently something in the IF supplement which suggests Draco went and did something horrific and has been excommunicated...

Anyone got the book to tell us more?

That's all they really had to say about it honestly. I'm guessing the Ultramarines caught him purging without a license.

So there's apparently something in the IF supplement which suggests Draco went and did something horrific and has been excommunicated...

Anyone got the book to tell us more?

That's all they really had to say about it honestly. I'm guessing the Ultramarines caught him purging without a license.

License? We don't need no steenking license!

Our supplement may actually expand on that. Also, being excommunicated doesn't mean you're a heretic, merely that you've pissed off an inquisitor which by all standards seems to be a relatively easy thing to do.

Yeah, just ask the Knights of Blood chapter (well, you can't, because they're all dead now).

Our supplement may actually expand on that. Also, being excommunicated doesn't mean you're a heretic, merely that you've pissed off an inquisitor which by all standards seems to be a relatively easy thing to do.

Yeah, just ask the Knights of Blood chapter (well, you can't, because they're all dead now).

But there are a big difference. Almost unknown chapters will be treated very different to well known chapters like 1st or 2nd founding chapters...

But there are a big difference. Almost unknown chapters will be treated very different to well known chapters like 1st or 2nd founding chapters...

Not really, no. Let me remind you that the Black templars have long been the object of scrutiny from the inquisition for their numbers (among other things).

Without spoiling too much from spear of the emperor, there is at least one crusade around, that is supporting chapters which openly forbid Inquisition Personal from entering their territory on thread of death.

So friction with the big =I= does exist. Grimaldus did cross the Inquisition in the aftermath of helsreach as well by saving the lions

Not really, no. Let me remind you that the Black templars have long been the object of scrutiny from the inquisition for their numbers (among other things).

I would say its the opposite. Another chapter could have been wiped out or had gotten in trouble but Black Templars are just on the list and were watched until this day.

Without spoiling too much from spear of the emperor, there is at least one crusade around, that is supporting chapters which openly forbid Inquisition Personal from entering their territory on thread of death.

So friction with the big =I= does exist. Grimaldus did cross the Inquisition in the aftermath of helsreach as well by saving the lions

Spoiler please ;))))

No kidding. Inquisitor Bob wanted swiss cheese on his burger and I accidentally put cheddar. Now I've been declared Traitoris Maximus.

I would say its the opposite. Another chapter could have been wiped out or had gotten in trouble but Black Templars are just on the list and were watched until this day.

Spoiler please ;))))

the Inquisition sent a callidis assasin to kill the chapter Master of the celestial lions. This happened in Front of a BT marshal and his sword brethren, as well as a large force of spears of the emperor. The guardians of elaras veil then sent a message to imperium Sanctus disallowing Inquisition forces from entering their Domain on threat of death.

Draco did nothing wrong.

It's impossible to say this with any credibility, except out of blind loyalty/fandom.

"Draco was declared excommunicate traitoris for deeds too terrible to recount" doesn't tell us what it was that he was accused of doing, nor do any of us have any understanding of the circumstances to assert any guilt or innocence except as pure conjecture. It might mean that he did something that someone in power didn't like, so they declared him Excommunicate Traitoris out of spite. Or it might mean that he committed some foul deed that led/will lead him on the path to damnation. Or it might be somewhere in between. The vague lore that we've been provided leaves the door wide open. GW may shed more light on the subject later (I certainly hope that they do), but they might leave it vague so that we'll never know and we can decide on our own. Taken at face value, though, Draco certainly did something that other Adeptus Astartes would recognize as "wrong." Whether or not they know the truth of the matter is certainly debatable, but lacking any other facts, none of us is in a position to deny the basic situation.

Now, how would you guys like me to adopt him? Iron Warriors as like an Iron Knight or Word Bearers as a death knight style paladin? :biggrin.:

Another alternative to consider is that Draco may have submitted himself to a Watch Fortress as a blackshield. :wink: