Craftworld Mal'ushey

Wulf Vengis

Orange primer or yellow for best under glow effect?

Also,

Best orange or yellow primer for Fire Dragons?

Go!

EDIT: I've changed the name of this thread to better reflect my Craftworld and any of the questions/projects that will go into its construction.

Fluff to come in the future.

Edited by Wulf Vengis

Ok the mods didnt read between the lines and see the humour in what I put earlier....so to put the point out in clear:

Shouldnt these questions be asked in the 'Forge' forum?  as thats the area for painting and techniques?  (or, MODS, is it ok because a craftworld unit was mentioned?)

The question on primer for the firedragons is a nebulus question as I immediatly think - whats the end colour wanted?  is it the standard codex colour scheme (in which case neither you want either black or a dark red) or something different to fit a particular craftworld?

It's not uncommon for painting techniques specific to a faction to be discussed in the forum for that faction [in addition to/instead of the Forge]. If you look around the various faction forums, you'll see numerous examples of this practice.

I've done a little research on averland sunset and i don't care for that dulled effect it seems to have when sprayed over the bare plastic, but I've seen it said that an undercoat of white then the sunset should fix that. I'm gonna go poke around in our PCA, be back soon.

So I'm picturing their armor shifting from flaming orange to yellow and back with the under armor body suit being a perpetually smoldering color of orange or red.

The armor could be done with gradual shading and dry brushing but what about this? (Skip to 5:10 to see what I'm thinking.)

Edited by Wulf Vengis

My intent currently is to use the Flaming Drakes squad from ArtelW.

Found here: https://artelw.com/Flaming-Drakes-Squad-male-warriors-p144581422

And here: https://artelw.com/Flaming-Drakes-Squad-female-warriors-p144581603

And the Flaming Drake Prime as Fuegan.

Found here: https://artelw.com/Flaming-Drake-Prime-p144581582

And of course a dedicated Wave Serpent in matching colors.

I figure the bodysuit under the armor should be easy enough with bright orange and I intend to use Green Stuff Worlds Burning Gold colorshift paint on the plate sections of the models armor. Maybe Turbo Dorks Ground is Lava on the raised edges of said armor and the detailing of said armor. Follow suit with this on the Wave Serpent.

EDIT: My test models for this project will be some classic 2nd edition metal Fire Dragons and Fuegan and a 3rd or 4th edition Falcon.

This will be a nostalgia project commemorating my oldest foe and the history of the Eldar army i some how managed to own.

EDIT 2: A further note on this project, I won't be building it to any form of legality, at least not intentionally. If i do follow any constructive ruling it would be closer to 3rd edition as that is when this army and i became....acquainted.

Edited by Wulf Vengis

• 6 months later...

I must admit I have not tried either specific but I am not entirely happy with Army Painter sprays. I find they have a slightly glossy finish. The problem with this is that GW paints applied over the top do not adhere very well. Even light handling causes the paint to rub off revealing the primer underneath.

When the models are finished, I normally seal them with varnish to prevent this problem. However with army painter the problem is so bad that even handling the model to paint it causes earlier layers to wear off. I use Army Painter red for my Blood Angels but if I were starting again I would probably choose a colour from a different system.

I have used Tamiya greys before and found them perfectly satisfactory. If I were in your position, I would probably opt for the Tamiya based on past experience.

That is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for, thank you.

Now, I've seen that these color shift paints suggest a gloss black undercoat, this means I'll have to get some and test the two methods.

Colorshift paints ordered.

Brushes ordered.

Gloss black spray can... Still doing a little research, though I'm leaning towards a Tamiya.

Flanking Drakes squad... Ordering on father's day.

I use Rustoleum flat black 2x primer. After I shot the color is came out shiney. If you don't want it shiney, spray a flat clear coat on it.

20190223-025132.jpg

This is the turbo dork green to purple color shift, I forget color name, before gloss clear coat. Flat colors hold paint better, gloss is slick and can be troublesome for adhesion.

I hope this helps

Fair deal.

I'm noticing Tamiya Ts-6 is somewhat difficult to find right now. Normally I'd wait for a resupply but considering the reason for the rarity I'll continue to pursue other options.

EDIT: Moved question about gods coat to PCA.

Edited by Wulf Vengis

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so the pics are too big... Im trying to find a work around. Theyre currently in my email, maybe ill add them to  face book (ugh) then link to them.

So far the gloss primer is on and im waiting for bruses and the Burning Gold from GSW. But honestly Im chomping at the bit here myself. I haven't been this enthused about a project in years.

Ok... Let's try this again...

2nd edition Fuegan

WARNING: FACEBOOK IS FACEBOOK AND WHAT YOU SEE OR ENCOUNTER MAY OR MAY NOT BE HERESY BASED UPON YOUR OWN PERSONAL STANDARDS. IF YOU BELIEVE TO HAVE ENCOUNTERED TERRIFYING LEVELS HERESY UPON VISITING FACEBOOK HIS EMPERORS HOLY TIDE PODS ARE IN A BOWL TO YOUR LEFT. HAVE A PLEASANT DAY.

EDIT: Removed links to Google drive as it revealed personal info of my family. Changed to a Facebook link.

EDIT: Removed dead links.

Edited by Wulf Vengis