Craftworld Mal'ushey

Wulf Vengis

I'm going to use this thread as general spot to place my Craftworld project as it unfolds. For now though here's a little glimpse of the next unit I'm refurbishing.

med_gallery_33718_16370_14125.jpg

Edited by Wulf Vengis

• 2 weeks later...

Posting this while it's on my mind.

I found that gloss primer had better results on the individual models (Fuegan and two Fire Dragons) than the matte primer. I primedthe rest of the unit in the matte black instead of gloss.

That said however the effect came our just fine on the Wave Serpent despite being primed in matte black.

Edited by Wulf Vengis

Some better pictures of the first striking scorpion. Natural light makes a serious difference.

med_gallery_33718_16370_405217.jpg

med_gallery_33718_16370_58376.jpg

med_gallery_33718_16370_223683.jpg

A WIP pics of three more striking scorpions.

med_gallery_33718_16370_405999.jpg

med_gallery_33718_16370_512239.jpg

For some reason this session have me major headache and nothing is seeing to dampen that so hopefully I'll get some work done tonight. No rush after all.

Edited by Wulf Vengis

• 5 months later...

https://artelw.com/Flaming-Drakes-Squad-male-warriors-p144581422

https://artelw.com/Flaming-Drakes-Squad-female-warriors-p144581603

https://artelw.com/Flaming-Drake-Prime-p144581582

So... I've been surprisingly busy since my last update and haven't found much time to paint (although some of that is on me for losing the itch). However i haven't been totally out of the system as it were, I've been picking up different models and other bits and bobs for my collection (and possibly future display and table). Tonight I ordered my Flaming Drakes from Artel W (along with a few other things to get that sweet, sweet free shipping). My resolution for the upcoming new year is to finish setting up a workspace and paint the hell out of some grey plastic and resin (maybe even dive into an air brush).

When these eventually arrive I'll post plenty of pics and order the paints for them. I've been wanting these models for a few years now, I'm really looking forward to having them at hand.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I got lovely package today.

From Russia, with love.

Sealed for purity.

med_gallery_33718_16888_538979.jpg

med_gallery_33718_16888_298469.jpg

med_gallery_33718_16888_505613.jpg

I'll be doing some gluing over the next few nights (starting Saturday) then next week I'll order some more gloss primer and the necessary burning gold paint from greenstuff world. So another few weeks before anything beyond gluing happens. However a project of love should not be rushed.

Edited by Wulf Vengis

A screech pierced the smoke clogged red sky above the battlefield.

The wolves of grey watched the flaming golden speck sweep towards the ground in the distance.

It shimmered and glittered and blurred as it screamed its way through the forces of the huskaerl.

Its breath, like solar fire added scar after scar of acrid smoke to the already dying red sky.

Serpent, they cried as it sliced through their ranks.

The Dragons Harbinger had arrived.

The Dragon would soon be upon them...

med_gallery_33718_16370_39553.jpg

med_gallery_33718_16370_250494.jpg

med_gallery_33718_16370_126188.jpg

med_gallery_33718_16370_197620.jpg

med_gallery_33718_16370_143514.jpg

med_gallery_33718_16370_73019.jpg

med_gallery_33718_16370_159955.jpg

med_gallery_33718_16370_49074.jpg

med_gallery_33718_16370_188425.jpg

med_gallery_33718_16370_61165.jpg

EDIT: Forgot the primer.

Edited by Wulf Vengis

The primer I'll be using this time.

med_gallery_33718_16370_204816.jpg

Also, I ordered myself an Avatar proxy since i painted an Avatar in a matching scheme last time.

med_gallery_33718_16370_173340.jpg

The model is designed by Ghamak and printed at 120mm so stands just under 4 3/4 (four and three-quarters) inches tall.

Edited by Wulf Vengis

Ok update time, small but significant.

Two jars of "Burning Gold" arrived today from Green Stuff World. This makes me happy. However i still need my Amazon order of nice weather to arrive. Its impossible to prime models in this New York winter wasteland and i don't have a place setup in the house for that kind of thing anymore. I could go out to the shed but again, it's blisteringly cold and there's currently a lawn mower in the way. I suppose i could do it at work but I'm not sure of the safety of the models in a place filled with dusts and looky-loos who don't speak the local dialect so fluently. So to close, now like the Aeldari i wait.

• 2 weeks later...

So a couple of quick size comparisons. Nothing is glued so careful photos.

med_gallery_33718_16888_207608.jpg

med_gallery_33718_16888_177232.jpg

I don't think i need to explain what is going on here. I will however explain that used comparison pics of the old Forge World Avatar to guesstimate the size when i ordered this. I have to say that at the moment I'm quite pleased but only upon completion will i know for sure.

The size: When i ordered it i had to select from size options. As stated i ordered it closer to the forgeworld height based on pictures of it (fw avatar) next to og space marines. If it turns out to be too big, I'll happily order another at shorter height.

The detail: Ok, this one's a little tough. I tried for a while last night to get some good shots of the skin and armor but just Couldn't get clear enough photos. There could be a list of reasons why but i assume it was based on the model being the same solid grey color. In person the detail is incredible, the skin has a very cracked molten surface look while the armor has these calligraphy like swirls adorning it. It's all very "elf" looking. I haven't yet noticed any spots of muddied or blurry/smooshed detail.

I'm going to try and get some pics on black background as it may help absorb some of the excess light and allow more clarity in the detail.

It's all very heavy too, and the parts were packaged immaculately. Divided into 7 pieces (head and hair, torso and right arm, legs, left hand and sword, back ornamentation and finally the base). Each specially placed strategically within the box to allow for maximum protection and still leave room for the rest. The back ornamentation was even in a separate specialized cardboard mini-box to ensure its safe arrival.

More photos coming later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...