Space Marine Armour in a custom chapter

wedgie2007

Hi guys,

I was wondering do all Space Marines have to have the same armour colour in a custom chapter? i would like to run my own "custom" squad but paint them a different colour, my custom chapter is a successor chapter of the Black Templar's that was created to avenge Sigismund and to hunt down Abaddon and his black legion.

Cheers

Wedgie

Nohp, as long as everyone's WYSIWYG you shouldn't run into problems. Keep your weapons straight and make your veterans a little more decorated and you're good IMO. Then again, I'm in a relatively lax environment as far as these things (I have an opponent who has a dedicated Dark Angels collection who also picks up models specific to other Chapters, paints them up Dark Angels and fields them with rules for other Chapters, namely Guilliman and Feirros at different times) and I'm a lax opponent, too. So... yeah.

Let's think, off the top of my head DA Ravenwing and Deathwing are different colours to the rest of the DA, Death Company in BA as well. So it's not common but some chapters definitely have a different colour scheme for certain companies.

Just to note a point of fluff, there are no Black Templar successors as they are as successor themselves. There are many Crusades of Templars, but they are all part of the BT chapter, they aren't separate chapters in and of themselves. (even though some of them might be the size of several companies of a codex chapter)

Thanks for your quick reply, 

My chapter has mostly black armor with left shoulder white with the chapter symbol on it, so i could change the armor color but keep the shoulder to tie in the army?

BT are all about individualization of their armor, though in the fluff their armor is always black.  Their shoulder pads though do change in color depending on rank or role and sometimes personal preference of the individual battle brother. 

All that being said, it is still your army and you may paint them how you wish, I just wanted to let you know what the lore states!

BT are all about individualization of their armor, though in the fluff their armor is always black.

Isn't there some properly old John Blanche artwork with an Ancient in red and a plasma gunner in white?

Ive gone that way sort of. I am playing as <Raven Guard> but I’m painting my unite based on the role they play in the army

Everyone gets army green pauldrons and backpacks

- the difference is in the arms torsos and legs

Intercessors and Incursors desert yellow

Aggressors and Centurions army green

Still deciding on the Inceptors Reivers and Eliminators. Likely desert yellow for the two latter either army green or urban grey for the former. Definitely will make it the same as the Xiphons. It’s my take on the idea Reasonable Marines adapt to match their environment, but using the army green on the shoulder pads and backpacks as a unifying color on all patterns.

My Space Badgers chapter is all brown and black except for one squad of easy-build flamer aggressors which are painted “firebat red” as an homage to Starcraft. They’re not the most competitive build but seeing that one odd colored squad seems to psyche some of my opponents out. They can’t help but diverting an unnecessary amount of firepower towards them. I’ve taken to saying they are my elite “Flaming Mad Badgers”. Forge the narrative!!

• 2 weeks later...

BT are all about individualization of their armor, though in the fluff their armor is always black.

Isn't there some properly old John Blanche artwork with an Ancient in red and a plasma gunner in white?

Yep. Hence:

med_gallery_100735_13648_364477.jpg
Edited by Brother Adelard