Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My two strongest Space Marine Lists @2k

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

Marauder112

Marauder112

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts
Okey, little update.

I played again against the dark angel player and he used one of his hardest lists. He wanted to play against the first list to see if he could destroy it this time.

He had:
Sammael on land speeder.
2 talonmasters with relics
1 librarian
3x scouts
3 dreadnoughts
9 black knights in 2 units
3x ravenwing bikers
Stormtalon
Ship that gave -1 to hit bubble

Again I got the first turn and got some charges. Because of this I was able to kill a few strong units making his counter attack softer. In the end I won and tabled him.

I also played against an orc list with 3x 30 orcs with 2 bubbles (5++ and 6+++ bubbles). He also had 2 airplanes, 6 cannons, 10 lootas and some more units. I used a semi-comp list against him and got destroyed. I want to test one of these lists against it. Do you think it's a fair fight or will I completely destroy him then? (Against the orc player I don't want to use super hard tourney lists).

antique_nova

antique_nova

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,989 posts

How much did you win by against the Dark Angel player? What did the dreadnoughts have? Any hiccups from you and him? How long was the game? Can purposely do games where you go second? Let your opponent know, so you can practice how to play when going second.

The way I see it, if you don't make mistakes, the Dark Angel player won't be able to pull off a win, because they lack the tools to reliably do so.

As for a fair fight against the Orks. It depends. Are you guys playing a pure narrative or practising and having fun, before a grand tournament? You can always ask as well. Are they okay with you bringing your best list? But based on what I've seen, aside from the planes, he's going pretty competitive. Again, at the end of the day, find out what kind of game you and your opponent wants.

Edited by antique_nova, 06 January 2020 - 11:26 PM.

Competitive list builder who lives, breathes and plays in Grand Tournaments.

My current strongest lists:

http://www.bolterand...arine-lists-2k/

Marauder112

Marauder112

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts

Yeah the list is brutal against some lists whenyou go first. Going second is indeed a good idee for learning other things. His dreadhoughts were all equipped with twin lascannons and a missile launcher. This time we did try the hard lists. This was one of his hardest lists he has so far. His other list looks similar but has 3 assassins (2 vindicare and 1 Culexus) instead of a dreadnought and a talonmaster.

The Orc player is difficult. This battle he complained the whole time about how cheap the Space Marine rules are even though I used a sub-par list and he won easily. When I told him about this and that he ruined the fun he sort of apologized and stopped. He uses hard/good lists but when you do so as well he finds that you play an overpowered army.

Example: The whole time he complained about the re-rolls Space Marines have even though we cost way more points that an orc. In our battle I almost killed an unit of 30 Orcs. I needed A LOT of firepower in my turn to do so with his 5++ and 6+++ bubbles. Next turn he simply used the stratagem were he could heal that unit up to the full 30 orc unit strenght and could also deep strike it on the battlefield. When I began about how hard this rule was, especially against my sub-par list he just said: "Well, that's just how the Orcs are. They come in an unending horde. It's just the fluff".

Next time I'm planning to step up my list against him but he's not the type of player I use my best lists against. We play with the rules that we don't use named characters and no forgeworld units. 

antique_nova

antique_nova

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,989 posts

Yeah, if I were you. I wouldn't play him. If you're going to complain more than once, I'd rather not play. Especially if it's about the same thing. Everyone complains, but as long as it's minimal. Then it's okay, but it sounds like he took it too far IMO. Not sure when you called him out, but at least he apologised and stopped. So, I guess all's good.

But yeah, looking forward to hearing about your future games.

jpwyrm

jpwyrm

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 639 posts
Wow, that list #2 is nasty. Though it looks a little light on screens. Have you ever had problems with people tagging you're Artillery base before your deepstrike units got in?

gallery_87434_12256_5320.png

antique_nova

antique_nova

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,989 posts

The screens are actually fine. Since, I have very good anti-ds screens. Plus 3 TFCs, any of who can shoot twice and half the distance of practically any super fast units. The chances of them getting past that before my centurions arrive is extremely rare and unreliable.

Would I call it a problem when my arty gets tagged before my centurions get in? No, because the centurions targets are normally the enemy's anti-artillery targets and I can easily get close enough. All my arty units can shoot OOLOS. Which makes it even more difficult to remove and I can use the stratagem that gives them cover if I go second for the first turn.

Marauder112

Marauder112

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts
He is one of my main opponents. Our gaming group is very small. So I guess we have to find a way that's working for us. That's why we use some rules. For example, I have to tweak your lists in order to play them in my group. 1 unit of centurions and 1 unit of aggressors normally is already stretching it. But his last two lists were harder then normal so now I can go a little further as well.

How do you play your second list normally? Which units do you deep strike (incl characters)? Which units do you deploy nearby each other?

And I don't have the imperial fist codex. Why do you prefer them instead of raven guard so you get the bonus +1 to hit and wound?

antique_nova

antique_nova

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,989 posts

He is one of my main opponents. Our gaming group is very small. So I guess we have to find a way that's working for us. That's why we use some rules. For example, I have to tweak your lists in order to play them in my group. 1 unit of centurions and 1 unit of aggressors normally is already stretching it. But his last two lists were harder then normal so now I can go a little further as well.

How do you play your second list normally? Which units do you deep strike (incl characters)? Which units do you deploy nearby each other?

And I don't have the imperial fist codex. Why do you prefer them instead of raven guard so you get the bonus +1 to hit and wound?

Did you read the mini tactica below the list? Because I get the feeling you haven't yet.

The Imperial Fists, because they ignore cover, which is vital for my 6 artillery units.

The 3rd detachment, I chose, Imperial Fist successors, because of the +1 to wound vehicles stratagem that they can use. Although, I could switch the last detachment to raven guard successors, so I can infiltrate the captain there, but not much else. The last detachment doesn't matter so much, but the reroll a miss hit, wound and damage roll per turn for eliminators is too good to pass up. Also, that chapter power you mentioned, only works if you have a pure Raven Guard or Raven Guard successor army. It doesn't work if you mix them with anything else. Not even part a part Raven Guard and part Raven Guard successor army. The army must be pure one or the other.

Marauder112

Marauder112

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts
Yeah I did read it but wanted to know some deeper thoughts. Like which characters and smash captains you also would set in deep strike and which you deploy on the battlefield (except the bike captain ofcourse).

I also asked for the things on statagems like the +1 to hit you mentioned. That sort of things can make a big difference that weren't noted in the mini tactical explanation but helps me to get a better understanding of how the list is supposed to work. Cause till now I've only used full raven guard successor armies for the +1 to hit and wound bonus.

Haven't had time to play lately but hoping next week I can try this.

antique_nova

antique_nova

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,989 posts

Ah okay, it really depends on the situation. Those jump pack characters are free to go where ever they please depending on the situation and no matter where they are, they are hard to ignore targets.

There's nothing special about the stratagems. I mean, you can use the tremor shells and shoot twice with the TFCs, but apart from that. You'll only use the RGs infiltrate and the RG deepstrike shenanigans for the centurions. You may use the stratagem that allows a dead character to strike back for 2CP. But every stratagem that is vital to each list has already been mentioned. I left nothing out. smile.png

The +1 to hit and wound only applies to targets that are characters and even then, it's hard to make full use of it against a very smart and competitive opponent. Because they'll bring less characters or by luck have good terrain placement in accordance with the mission goals. Sacrificing that for an upgrade to Imperial Fist artillery and everything else included is worth far more.

In short. The core is your Imperial Fists, the middle layer is either your scouts or your eliminators and your outer layer is either the scouts or eliminators and whoever else wants to either hug the enemy to death or serve up hot coco! ^^

Good to know and I look forward to hearing about it soon!

Edited by antique_nova, 11 January 2020 - 12:19 AM.

Marauder112

Marauder112

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts
Yeah the +1 to hit/wound would be nice on the eliminators since they can also shoot them without line of sight. But i guess your right about the ignore cover and extra stratagems the imperial fists brings to the table being better. I didn't read there rules jet but will do so soon.

One last question since I hope the battle next monday: do you mostly field the eliminators in or out of line of sight? Both have their advantages.

antique_nova

antique_nova

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,989 posts
Again, it depends. Whatever yields the most advantages that game. I would prefer not to hide them, since 2 of their 3 ammo types require LOS.

But if I must, I will. Sometimes, I'll deploy them in the opponent's LOS for target saturation, but that's pretty rare since almost everything else of mine is nice really OOLOS or out of their range.

Marauder112

Marauder112

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts
Yeah that's why I asked. I'm thinking it would be better for the first turn to put them out of line of sight if you can deploy the rest also out of his line of sight. Otherwise the opponent would just kill them because they are the only units he can see. Tomorrow probably against the dark Angel's again.

antique_nova

antique_nova

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,989 posts

Okay, but yeah. Remember though, that even though they can be seen, the enemy has to get within range to shoot them and i only hide them if they are going to get killed. Not if they'll get wounded. So, just depends. Will you be using the list model for model?

Marauder112

Marauder112

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts

Yeah I will use all the models and Chapters in the list. I only changed some relics here and there. My biggest change was on the Chaplain. I want him to have the litany of hate so my deep striking units get +2 to the charge. I also didn't gave him his relic to save a CP. Otherwise the list will be very light on CP.

antique_nova

antique_nova

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,989 posts

Bear in mind, that litany only works if the Chaplin was already on the table, before the deepstrikes on the same turn. You can't use it on the turn the chaplin deepstrikes. Depending on the game, you will want to use it, but yeah. Sounds good so far.

Marauder112

Marauder112

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts

I just finished the battle. The list did very good and it was a one sided massacre. I tabled him on turn 3. In total I lost my chaplain, 1 smashcaptain, almost all the scouts, 1 whirlwind, 1 centurion model and 7 of the 9 eliminators.

The first 2 turns I used to clear his screens (scouts, bikers) and destroyed 14 of the 16 hellblasters. I made a whirlwind shoot twice. I needed an extra turn because on turn 1 I tried to destroy his darkshroud but my whirlwinds failed to do so (He didn't had the 4++ jet so I thought it would be nice to try). That was a stupid mistake I learned from. The eliminators killed the banner character on turn 1 so I didn't have to worry about him shooting me while dying and also took 3 wounds off of azrael. The rest of the game the eliminators failed to kill Azrael because he passed around 10+ 4 invulnerable saves. On turn 3 my Raven Guard arrived killing his dreadnoughts, 4 aggressors and Azrael in the shooting and combat fase.

At this point he only had one Talonmaster left which he, for glory, charged/suïcided into my captain and chaplain. He killed the chaplain but was killed by the captain in return.

I didn't took pictures because I had to proxy some models. Basically I made 2 or 3 firebases out of his line of sight so he couldn't really shoot much in return. I do wonder how the list fares against armies with a lot of flyers and/or super fast combat units like some eldar lists. But I liked the list more then I had expected.

antique_nova

antique_nova

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,989 posts

Congrats on the massacre!

Just so I recall correctly, did he use the list below?

Azreal
Techmarine
2 talonmasters (1 with relic sword)
Banner guy for shooting/melee when models die on a 4+.
3 dreadnoughts with lascannons and missile launchers
2x 8 hellblasters
4 aggressors
3x 5 scouts
3 ravenwing bikers

Who went first? Also, that Azreal must have been one lucky SOB. It took until turn 3 for your RG to arrive? Sounds like you went second.

Haha. Good on the guy, going for the morale win, most people would be completely distraught and I'm not sure if he was, but it's always nice to encourage the losing player to do that, so that they can get some kind of win from it.

Against flyers it's not a problem, because you have melta spam from the deepstriking centurions. If the enemy ignores them, they'll regret it heavily. Against fast units, they're normally pretty vulnerable and get fudged once the RG arrive and from then, you'll normally control most of the board.

I'm curious, what did you like more than you expected and what do you like most about this being an original Khorne player yourself?

Also, this was nice since it was your first game with this list and your losses were very light, since you only lost about 600 pts and most of them weren't even important or late game units. It also sounds like you could have done much better if the dice were more average for you regarding Azreal and had you ignored the shroud speeder.

Keep it coming!

Marauder112

Marauder112

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts
So recalled correctly. Only the techmarine should be the darkshroud. He rolled higher but I stole the initiative so went first. Since he were not yet in charge range on turn 2 and had some of his screens left I chose the keep my raven guard in deep strike. Because he was able to still screen a few important units. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to kill what I now killed on turn 3. This could let to him making a harder counterattack then he did now on turn 3.

I liked the fact that I could bombs him out of line of sight with him not being able to punch back. He could only see one whirlwind but the rest was save from his army. And my raven guard fighters, smash captains were able to fulfill my khorne needs.

Because of the deepstike threat he still needed to turtle up a bit, making him less likely to run straight up and go for my artillery. 9 centurion models and 1 smash captain with the +2 to the charge from my mobile chaplain is quit the force.

I want to try this list against the grey knights with 3 knights, 3 Razorbacks and 3 dreadnoughts. And also against the better lists from the dark angel player. I can also play against a dreadnought army from the iron hands. He uses 5 dreads (mortis and normal), 3 redemptor dreads and 1 relic leviathan dread. It sounds very nasty to play against.

Marauder112

Marauder112

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts
Just finished playing the iron hands dreadnought army (I'm squeezing in battle atm). He had the 9 dreadnoughts I noted in addition to 6 scouts with bolsters, thunderfire canon, 2 lieutenants, 1 warlord tech with the +1 to hit bubble and he was a master tech. He also had 1 captain with the teeth of terra.

Again I had the first turn (lucky me). I failed to kill all the 6 scout units even with the extra shots stratagem (rolled so many 1 and 2s). But the snipers did wonders and killed his warlord tech on a bike!
In return he killed 2 eliminator units and all my scouts.

In turn 2 my last eliminator unit sought vengeance and rolled hot again, killing the lieutenant holding the iron stone. I deep struck one unit centurions which killed, with a little help, 2 dreadnoughts. Because I jumped forward with 1 captain I was now able to charge his redemptor and also managed to tie the leviathan in combat. The captain almost destroyed the redemptor leaving him with a wound left.

In his turn 2 he killed my captain (but he did his job), killed the last of the eliminators and failed to kill my 3 centurions. I had luck because the remaining 2 got charged by a redemptor. He decided to roll only ones and twos this time, even with a cp reroll. Therefore 2 my 2 centurions models thought this was there moment en killed the redemptor in the same round of combat.

At this point he still had 5 dreadnoughts left (1 with only 1 wound). On my turn 3 the other 2 centurion units entered the battlefield killing a redemptor and a normal dreadnought. My thunderfire cannons took of the last wound of the 3th redemptor while my whirlwinds combined fire to destroy a mortis dreadnought. His thunderfire canon and last lieutenant were destroyed by the shooting and combat of my 2 remaining centurion models that survived the previous onslaught.
In his turn 3 his leviathan showed his power for the first time and destroyed one full centurion unit. His last normal dreadnought killed the centurion unit that the redemptor failed to kill. I believe this turn his captain also counterpunshed my the jetpack captain and killed my 2th captain.

Turn 4 a whipped him of the board.
I lost 2 captains, 3 units scouts, 2 units of centurions and 3 units of eliminators.

Afterthoughts:
- I underestimated whirlwinds. They took out a normal dreadnought a turn with their combined shots. The extra -1 to armour really helped.
- eliminators killed his most important characters in the first 2 turns with made a very big difference.
- centurions are very very capable with the raven guard deep strike stratagem.
- I loved his dreadnought army and they were terrifying. I do think he needed some support. But Iron hands are very though to say the least.
- I need to get me some thunderfire cannons. Don't own the models yet (had to proxy them so far). But these are great. Now I can spent some money one them and know it's not wasted.

antique_nova

antique_nova

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,989 posts

Just finished playing the iron hands dreadnought army (I'm squeezing in battle atm). He had the 9 dreadnoughts I noted in addition to 6 scouts with bolsters, thunderfire canon, 2 lieutenants, 1 warlord tech with the +1 to hit bubble and he was a master tech. He also had 1 captain with the teeth of terra.

Again I had the first turn (lucky me). I failed to kill all the 6 scout units even with the extra shots stratagem (rolled so many 1 and 2s). But the snipers did wonders and killed his warlord tech on a bike!
In return he killed 2 eliminator units and all my scouts.

In turn 2 my last eliminator unit sought vengeance and rolled hot again, killing the lieutenant holding the iron stone. I deep struck one unit centurions which killed, with a little help, 2 dreadnoughts. Because I jumped forward with 1 captain I was now able to charge his redemptor and also managed to tie the leviathan in combat. The captain almost destroyed the redemptor leaving him with a wound left.

In his turn 2 he killed my captain (but he did his job), killed the last of the eliminators and failed to kill my 3 centurions. I had luck because the remaining 2 got charged by a redemptor. He decided to roll only ones and twos this time, even with a cp reroll. Therefore 2 my 2 centurions models thought this was there moment en killed the redemptor in the same round of combat.

At this point he still had 5 dreadnoughts left (1 with only 1 wound). On my turn 3 the other 2 centurion units entered the battlefield killing a redemptor and a normal dreadnought. My thunderfire cannons took of the last wound of the 3th redemptor while my whirlwinds combined fire to destroy a mortis dreadnought. His thunderfire canon and last lieutenant were destroyed by the shooting and combat of my 2 remaining centurion models that survived the previous onslaught.
In his turn 3 his leviathan showed his power for the first time and destroyed one full centurion unit. His last normal dreadnought killed the centurion unit that the redemptor failed to kill. I believe this turn his captain also counterpunshed my the jetpack captain and killed my 2th captain.

Turn 4 a whipped him of the board.
I lost 2 captains, 3 units scouts, 2 units of centurions and 3 units of eliminators.

Afterthoughts:
- I underestimated whirlwinds. They took out a normal dreadnought a turn with their combined shots. The extra -1 to armour really helped.
- eliminators killed his most important characters in the first 2 turns with made a very big difference.
- centurions are very very capable with the raven guard deep strike stratagem.
- I loved his dreadnought army and they were terrifying. I do think he needed some support. But Iron hands are very though to say the least.
- I need to get me some thunderfire cannons. Don't own the models yet (had to proxy them so far). But these are great. Now I can spent some money one them and know it's not wasted.

I'm assuming the characters had jump packs?

I wonder, did the warlord biker have a stormshield? Because if he did, then you got very very lucky to have done that in the first turn. How did he kill all your scouts? I'm assuming one squad had LOS to an enemy, otherwise the TFC can't have killed them all by itself even with a stratagem.

Good kill with the eliminators again. So, if I get this correctly, your smash captain failed to kill the leviathan? If I had to choose between which to smash in combat. I'd normally go for the leviathan instead since he flings out far more damage than a redemptor ever could.

In future batreps, could you give me a quick total of how much you lost in points? It helps to keep track of your army handling. If you're being too reckless etc. By my count, you lost 1075 pts. But against such a list you seem to have done well. You did get lucky in some areas and I wander how things could have gone if you went 2nd, but you're still new to the list. So, it'll take some getting used to.

Also, remember that your whirlwinds ignore cover, so with the heavy doctrines, they're always AP2

Yeah Iron Hands are tough, but nowhere near the best. I'd say top 5 army combos and say they're placed 5th.

So recalled correctly. Only the techmarine should be the darkshroud. He rolled higher but I stole the initiative so went first. Since he were not yet in charge range on turn 2 and had some of his screens left I chose the keep my raven guard in deep strike. Because he was able to still screen a few important units. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to kill what I now killed on turn 3. This could let to him making a harder counterattack then he did now on turn 3.

I liked the fact that I could bombs him out of line of sight with him not being able to punch back. He could only see one whirlwind but the rest was save from his army. And my raven guard fighters, smash captains were able to fulfill my khorne needs.

Because of the deepstike threat he still needed to turtle up a bit, making him less likely to run straight up and go for my artillery. 9 centurion models and 1 smash captain with the +2 to the charge from my mobile chaplain is quit the force.

I want to try this list against the grey knights with 3 knights, 3 Razorbacks and 3 dreadnoughts. And also against the better lists from the dark angel player. I can also play against a dreadnought army from the iron hands. He uses 5 dreads (mortis and normal), 3 redemptor dreads and 1 relic leviathan dread. It sounds very nasty to play against.

Okay, that makes quite a difference. And that's great to hear that your khorneflake requirements are met! :P

I know you're still getting used to things, but I think you should start playing 2nd now. Because the list excels most when going first. I mean it does better than literally every other list out there when going second IMO, but you need to practice how to handle that.

Apart from all that I'm really happy to see you enjoying this list and are doing well. Keep going! Looking forward to hearing more batreps from you!

Marauder112

Marauder112

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts
His warlord was a master techmarine on a bike so "only" a 2+ armour save, t5 and 5 wounds. My characters had jumppacks and his didn't.
His army had line of sight on my scout because I used them the attack his scouts to wipe them (shooting and 1 combat followed but I rolled poorly again failing to kill the last 2 scout models in the unit).

Your right about playing second. I use a lot of scenery were you can hide reasonably good behind. But if I had to play a battle without good scenery it would he much harder. I will start going second to practise that as well. It should be good for my gaming experience even though I'm not new to this game. A new list always takes a while to know.

I attacked the redemptor instead of the leviathan because I had a change to kill it. And because I was able to tie the leviathan in combat he could shoot next turn, giving me an extra turn of shooting and combat. That was my thinking behind it. Perhaps I'm able to play another game this week. Thanks for the advice and the great list.

antique_nova

antique_nova

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,989 posts

Ah okay, makes sense and no worries.

The strongest part of this list, is practically every part of the second list can reach you no matter where you are on the board at any point in the game. It can completely adapt to any battlefield, better than any other army out there. So in short, you get to choose how you want to engage more often than the opponent ever will in both shooting and close combat.

Also, I'd keep an eye open on the Las Vegas Open Tournament sometime next week or the week after. Whatever comes out of that tournament will be very interesting and something you want to keep an eye on in terms of what to expect to face in the competitive scene as that's where many of the best players and lists will be revealed.

Edited by antique_nova, 14 January 2020 - 11:41 PM.

Marauder112

Marauder112

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts

Since you said you wanted to hear how battles were going here another one I just finished. Since it's my vacation I have time to play more battles then normal.

We played 2.000 Pts and my opponent played the Grey Knights.

He had:

-3 Grand masters in dreadknight armour with hvy Psycannons and incinerators.

-3 units of 5 strike squads as troops

-2 units of 10 interceptors, the sergeant carried a thunder hammer in each squad.

-2 dreadnoughts and 1 venerable dreadnought. All equiped with lascannons and missile launchers

-2 Razorbacks with assault cannons (1 had a hunter missile).

My centurions waited in deep strike and he put half his army in deep strike (1 unit of interceptors, 2 grand master dreadknights, 3 units of strikers)

I won the roll off to start first but took your advice and let him begin. In his first turn he killed one whirlwind and 2 units of my scouts. His goal was also to wipe my screening line off the board. I could hide one unit of scouts but the rest were gone with his gateway and interceptor teleport actions.

In my first turn I used to units of eliminators for a replacement screen to counter his deep strikers. Since there weren't any characters on foot in his army this would be the best choice since half of my screens were gone. My artillery killed his venerable dreadnought, 1 unit of 10 interceptors and brought one Razorback down to 3 wounds. I did shoot twice with a whirlwind.

In his 2th turn most of his deep strikes came in (all except his warlord dreadknight and his last unit of interceptors). He deployed 3 units of 5 strikers in the middel of the field and also one of his dreadknight nearby for support. He killed one unit of eliminators that I used as a screen and killed the last unit of scouts. He also wounded another whirlwind but since his venerable dreadnought was gone he could't finish it (his venerable had the spell that he didn't need line of sight to shoot me). He did use Gateway to teleport one dreadnought forward to gain line of sight but he forgot about my flying smash captain hiding behind a big rock. 

So in my turn I let the Raven Guard captain go forward to kill his dreadnought and make an anti deep strike screen for the rest of my army. I gave him another suicide mission.

I also wounded his other dreadnought but failed to kill it. My last 2 units of eliminators moved forward for a last deep strike screen and shot, with the thunderfire cannons, almost all 3 units of strike squads off the board. I rolled so bad that he had a few models left.

In turn 3 his warlord and interceptors came in taking 7 wounds of the 3th whirlwind with only shooting. Of the 9 armour saves I rolled 7 ones and twos. His last dreadnought destroyed the already wounded whirlwind. So at this point only one wounded whirlwind left. He killed the smash captain that I charged in and also killed 5 out of 6 eliminators.

In my turn 3 all the centurions came in and what a sight was that. They shot down 2 Grant Master dreadknights, killed his last wounded dreadnougth and destroyed a razorback. There were no charged left for them to make. Another smash captain thought it was now his moment and charged his warlord giving him 3 wounds. But the dicegods thought I had enough luck this round en decided to let me fail my 3+ saves. It meant that his warlord killed me in one go. Hmmm, not what I wanted to achieve. At this points he only had his warlord dreadknight left and one razorback with only a few wounds.

He wanted to play on and his warlord went for a unit of 3 centurions. wounded one with shooting and charged them to finish them off. I rolled for overwatch and 3 out of 6 melta's hit, 2 wounded. He had his 3++ the whole time but rolled two 1's. Even with a CP re-roll he rolled a two again. Overwatch took another 6 wound of so now he only had 3 left. In combat he did kill 2 centurions with only 3 attack (because he now was wounded very badly). But the remaining centurion killed him in return. His last razorback with 3 wounds left was destroyed in my turn 4.

He had nothing left and I had 1060 points left.

antique_nova

antique_nova

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,989 posts

Haha. That sounded like a fun game and damn, I would have loved to have seen you just plonk down those 9 centurions. Even if he knew it was coming, damn. Seeing people's faces when you do that, never and I mean NEVER gets old! XD Especially when you remind them that they have 18 melta's between them with rerolls. lol

Sounds like you had some crap luck with some of your dice, but you did okay when going second. Depending on how well he could see your artillery, I would have just ignored the dreadnoughts and razorbacks and focused on everything else first.

But yeah, the Grey Knight player never stood a chance. I'm curious, what do your opponent's normally think of the fight and the list afterwards? And what did the GK player think?

And with you gaining so many victories in such a fashion. How is your club viewing you? Do they know that you're getting help from me? I ask, because I'm just genuinely curious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users