Boltstorm Aggressors

L30n1d4s

Naturally, most people are focused on Flamestorm Gauntlet Aggressors with the new Salamander's supplement, given both the fluff and rules that make Salamanders armies "tilt" toward massed flamer weapons.

That said, I think a "dark horse" competitive unit for Salamanders is actually Aggressors with the Boltstorm Gauntlet loadout. Not only can they engage targets out to 18" (unlike the Flamestorm Gauntlets, which are limited to 8") but, thanks to the "Relentless Determination" Stratagem, they can still move and shoot twice.... this means that a squad of 5 Boltstorm Aggressors can disembark from a Repulsor 3", move an additional 5", and then shoot 18" .... that gives an effective engagement range/threat radius of 26", which means that you can be "double-tapping" with an average of 90 x S4 shots as early as Turn 1.

On top of this, Salamanders can use the combination of the "Crucible of Battle" Strat and a Chapter Master/Lieutenant/Chaplain (with "Catechism of Fire" Litany) HQs to give the Aggressors an average of 80 hits and the following wounds averages:

-Against T3/T4 models --> 77 wounds (so 64 dead Orks or 52 dead Guardsmen or 25 dead MEQs)

-Against T7 models --> 62 wounds (so two dead Rhino-equivalents or "one-shotting" Magnus with his 3++ Invul)

-Against T8 models --> 46 wounds (so one dead Repulsor, or 16 wounds on a Knight)

As you can see, this makes them deadly against the entire range of threats, even able to threaten Eldar Flyers reliably (i.e. they average 12 unsaved wounds versus a T6 3+ save Alaitoc Flyer with -2 to Hit). On top of this, Salamanders can make the Aggressors quite durable, with the option to give them -1 to Hit (from the Promethean Psychic powers), a 6+++ FNP (from the Obsidian Aquila Relic), ignoring AP-1 (from the Salamander Chapter Tactic), and the ability to add +2 to their armor saves (+1 if they are in cover and another +1 versus Dmg 1 attacks via the "Stand Your Ground" Strat). Finally, they can of course use Transhuman Physiology to reduce the wounding effectiveness of S6+ weapons, making them even harder to kill with high strength weapons like Lascannons, Plasma, etc.

In the event that an enemy unit arrives from reserve, Da Jump, Wings of Fire, Dark Matter Crystal, etc within 12", then you can use "Auspex Scan" to light them up with 90 shots and an average of 67 x S4 hits (75% chance to hit with the -1, but also the Chapter Master re-rolls). Also, if you need to counter-attack, or just plain assault, Salamanders can give them a onetime +1A buff (so 26 attacks on the charge) with a nearby "Vulkan's Sigil" Relic and also +1 Strength with the use of the "Strength of the Primarch" Stratagem (i.e. making them hit with S10 Power Fists).

Finally, you can use them with devastating results with the "Born Protectors" stratagem to be able to fire Overwatch in support of a nearby friendly Salamanders unit that is being charged and then Heroically Intervene to support that unit in close combat with all their PF attacks. Add in the appropriate Combat Doctrine (i.e. Tactical for shooting and Assault for close combat) and Salamander Boltstorm Aggressors become even deadlier than described above, thanks to 16% reduced enemy armor saves.

Edited by L30n1d4s

I used Boltstorm Aggressors before the new supplement came out and I fell in love with them right away. I think one way that I’d like to try them in a Sallies list is walking alongside squads of flamestorm aggressors. With their extra range they can actually cover for the flamestorms while they all walk into the enemy lines together. If you tac on the -1 to hit power, maybe the extra T, and Self Sacrifice I think you could get a couple of turns out of them before they’re all dead, by which point your opponent has to stare down your 12 Flamestorm Aggressors with The Fires of Battle. It could be interesting

Yeah, boltstorm aggressors are good. I just imagine that a lot of salamander players are like me, struggled to use flamestorm aggressors all through the old codex when they were more expensive and utter crap compared to their bolter brethren so we're just happy they actually work now. Your point is well taken however, although to be fair a singular unit of almost any type can be made super potent by the salamanders due to the "crucible of battle" strat.

I agree. I have actually never used flamers since I started playing two years ago with 8th. I always hate random shot weapons, so much potential to bite you at a critical moment. But with everything available im giving them a fair shake.

I feel like they should be cheaper than they are. They’re only 5? points cheaper than the boltstorm version, for more nuanced shooting.