Returning Cultist questions

Sawtooth

Hello <waves three hands>. I've been out of the game for a bit due to real life drama, I last played Genestealer Cults in the Index days using some proxy models so I'm excited to get back in properly. I've also been watching a lot of Warhammer TV and am determined to paint my minis well enough to post pics of them and not be ashamed :P

Anyway, my questions. I fortunately have an unassembled Deathwatch Overkill box that I bought when they were still available. I know base sizes changed for a lot of things since this was released, just wondering what size base is now the norm for Neophytes, Acolytes, and the Primus and Magus? If I had to guess from pics of recent armies I'd say Neophytes 25mm but 32mm for heavy weapons, Acolytes/Aberrants/foot characters 32mm?

I'm also curious about Metamorphs and Purestrains. Looking at army lists I rarely see them. My assumption is they suffer from 'Acolytes do the same thing as troops and are cheaper' syndrome?

Thanks for clearing anything up for me. I'm practicing my painting on some old models I have before I put these guys together. Hopefully these abominations will turn out better than the not-intended abominations that are my past painting efforts :P

Your assessment of base sizes is spot on.

Metaphorphs aren't bad, it's that - as you say - Acolytes do the job just as well for cheaper and as Troop choice.

Purestrains have the problem that they're enormously overcosted, die to a stiff breeze (in an army that already dies if you breath a bit too harshly) and don't benefit from keyword bonuses. Sure they do damage, but it's nothing Acolytes/Aberrants can't do better for less. If people run them, it's usually as a separate Vanguard Detachment using the Tyranid 'Dex.

Edited by Lord Marshal

Indeed - quite ironically, our namesake unit is not as good as the tyranids version of the unit.

There are a few competetive lists that use a few metamorphs with whips (two units) as a screen killer and/or a counter to the mirror match, but outside of that fringe case scenario, metamorphs do not show up often. Most lists fill elite slots with other units.

Rule of thumb for GSC base sizes: humans (e.g. neophytes) on 25mm, nonhumans (eg. acolytes) on 32mm, except for characters & heavy weapons. And genestealers still come on 25mm slotted bases.

The current base size for all units can be found on the article description on the online shop btw.

Why GW doesn't just put out a PDF with a list of base sizes like for AoS is beyond me. *shrugs*

As for other things that may be useful to know:

• The gsc resource thread has some links to guides for GSC army building which give a nice overview over our plan generations in the making.
  • The Space Marine Infiltrator deepstrike deny bubble is something to be aware of as it hurts our ambush tactics a lot.

That aside, welcome back to the cults.

Welcome back! GSC Stealers are rare as mentioned due to the cost. A Kraken Nid aligned battalion is great however, esp with Broodlords.

Nothing wrong with Metamorphs - I include them from time to time but they do compete with other stronger elites. 10 man Talons/Whips mix can really mess up infantry.

Consider a Nexos and Demo Jackals if you expect to encounter Marine infiltrators.

Theyre a fun army to play, one tip i might suggest is make a quick reference sheet for the all GSC characters.

There are so many special abilities and phase specific auras its easy to lose track of them during a battle.

I made a good one I can share if interested.

Sure, that would be great, thank you. They have quite a variety of characters, I didn't realize it could get quite that complicated.