Kolgrims's Deathwatch project

Kolgrim DeathHowl

Hey all I just got back in the hobby after nearly 20 years so I haven't touched a paint brush since then but I'm having alot of fun getting back into it. Been watching a bunch of videos, probably just takes practice more than anything. I feel like the Blackstar (aside from the front guns drying from being primed) and the Redeemer are finished, maybe need a couple more edges in places. The way I painted them I wanted to be different then what most of the cookie cutter ones are so I just ran with it.

Redeemer (side2)

Redeemer (side1)

Redeemer (front)

Blackstar (top)

Blackstar (side)

Blackstar (front)

Here is some of my Kill Team Cassius, feel like its about 95% done. Until I keep watching more videos or seeing other ways I can improve them.

Kill Team Cassius 3

Kill Team Cassius 2 (with A Chaplain In terminator armor)

Kill Team Cassius 1

Next is Artemis was experimenting with basing with cork board, and got some Astrogranite Debri for the base.

Artemis (back)

Artemis (front)

Space Wolves was my first real army I did, but all my models are down in FL at my aunts house but I'll be going down there after Thanksgiving to get them. I made this watch master from an extra Artemis I had and the SW upgrade sprue, also used a Xeno blade and storm bolter.

Watch Captain WIP (front)

Watch Captain WIP (back)

Watch Captain WIP (left)

Watch Captain WIP (right)

After reading Xenos and the first Eisenhorn book many years ago I fell in love with the whole Ordos Xenos idea and always said to myself if I ever came back that's the army I would come back with. Here is Eisenhorn, was experimenting with the base on this one too. Since I was going to run him in my army I wanted him to be a bit taller than the rest of the models.

Eisenhorn 2

I was experimenting with green stuff again wasn't very successfull at making this be what I wanted, who know's it might turn out better once I paint it, or I may end up covering the top of the green stuff. Was shooting for like something holding the tyranid on the bike like belts but I used too much.

Jetek Suberei

Any C&C is welcome as I'm pretty much learning brand new again and would appreciate tips.

Edited by Kolgrim DeathHowl

I think you have too much red panels on your land raider for them to look deathwatch. At a glance they look more like flesh tearers. The lighting in the photo make them look a bit pinkish so they remind me of 40k Emperors children.

I would suggest painting deathwatch predominantly black with very subtle purple or turquoise tones in the highlights.

Also one can see the edge highlighting has been done with too thick paint. I suggest that you thin the paint (tap water works fine) much more so that you get smoother gradients.

Also perhaps try out brushes with sharper points or even masking (masking off adjacent panels not to be painted), there is room for improving on painting within the panel edges.

Also consider applying a wash that darkens the recesses and make the contours of the panels and recesses to shoe. Either use ready made wash (GW calls them shades) or use heavily thinned inks or even black or brown paint diluted with water and a drop of flow improver.

Cheers!

Ya the lighting sucks I'm trying to figure out a decent lamp or maybe take pics in a different location. I was going for more of a Inquisitorial Land Raider since that's what I was gonna put Eisenhorn in. Alot of my brushes don't have a really small point so I ordered some new ones should come soon.

I use a daylight lamp and I'm quite happy with it. I can highly recommend then.

Ever looked into airbrushing? The result (per hour) with airbrush is amazing compared to do the same with a paint brush. Especially if you're painting Space marines.

Ok cool, I found a lamp I might order on amazon cause the one I have now I have like sitting on a box so its higher cause the neck is super short.

Edit I finished these 2 last night, the captains face came out pretty bad I dunno why it was giving me such a hard time to paint.

Watch Captain

Watch Master

Some nice models in here! The Blackstar looks grand, I'll get one eventually. The Artemis base looks really good so you should be pleased with that and consider the experiment a success :tu:

Faces are always difficult so don't worry too much about it, you can always strip the model and try again later! I find I have more success with faces when I use a small brush with a very good point on it... and when I have lots of spare patience :D

For lighting don't forget that white surfaces will reflect the light and improve things, so surrounding the posing models with even someting as simple as white paper does help.

Thanks guys, I'm building some more marines now got a few more tanks coming in the mail soon. Going to build a Terminus Ultra even if I can't use it right away it still looks super cool :smile.:

Edit: I've built 10 more marines with various different load outs( from the Start Bulding DW box), and a Terminus Ultra almost built just for fun, will post more pictures soon.

Due to it being dark and rainy out I decided it wasn't a good idea to start priming some things so all I have to show right now are unpainted models. Since I'm not playing right now I just gave them some loadout's I've read alot about for the time being. When I actually get to playing I'll make sure they're weapons are on point, I just really wanted to get back to painting. So here is 4 5-man teams each with a sergeant with a combi weapon. I find it easier to paint with out the backpack on so I can get the shoulderpads, and the bases are astrogranite debri I have drying right now (was able to get 15 done before I ran out of it but I got some ordered already in the mail).

Team 1

Kill Team 1

Team 2

Kill Team 2

Team 3

Kill Team 3

Team 4

Kill Team 4

Kind of off topic to DW but here is another project I'm working on also Terminus Ultra just missing some pieces and the side front pods being held on by tape eventually will be magnetized. Just saw this online fully built and was like "I have to make this thing!"

Terminus Ultra (front)

Terminus Ultra (side)

Edit: Soon as the sun comes out if it's not rainy out I'm going to start priming and get back to painting. 

Some nice models in here! The Blackstar looks grand, I'll get one eventually. The Artemis base looks really good so you should be pleased with that and consider the experiment a success :thumbsup:

Faces are always difficult so don't worry too much about it, you can always strip the model and try again later! I find I have more success with faces when I use a small brush with a very good point on it... and when I have lots of spare patience :biggrin.:

For lighting don't forget that white surfaces will reflect the light and improve things, so surrounding the posing models with even someting as simple as white paper does help.

What's the best product to use to strip models these days?

Detol if you live in the UK, normal Detol nothing fancy. Submerge the model in it and leave it a day. Repeat until you are happy.

I do love the Terminus Ultra but never had a use for it. I think they stopped selling the sprue?

Ya they got rid of it on the GW store I currently have everything I need but the twin linked lascannon that goes on the front above the doors. So I may need to buy a razorback or find some bits that include those pieces. I got lucky and won a 2 Land Raider lot on Ebay so I got everything I need to make it but that piece. I'll post a the pics I have so far to get you a general idea of where I am.

Terminus Ultra (front)

Terminus Ultra (side)

Edit: front pods being held on by tape til I get around to magnetizing them.

Nice work Kolgrim!

I can echo the recommendation for a white daylight lamp. I got one from my GF a few years back, and it really does make a huge difference both when painting and taking photos.

The best alternative to that is taking pictures in daylight, but that can be problematic in the winter months - I know we barely get any light here in DK.

I think I saw you mention you're in the US, and I've heard good things about Simple Green for stripping paint. I can't get either that or Dettol here, but isopropyl alcohol works as well, even if it takes a great deal of scrubbing sometimes.

Paintwise I'd say just keep on doing what you're doing - watch some videos and get back into it. I took a 6 month holiday from painting once and felt like a complete idiot when I got back into it, so I'd say you're doing well for a 20 year absence! :biggrin.:

Thank you the warm comments are inspiring! I just found one on Anazon typed in day light lamp and got one that you can position above what you're working on. I overslept so I didn't get the chance to open it up yet but I plan on setting it up tomorrow sometime. Was only like 25$ so hopefully it does the job. 

I was able to prime 10 more models and got to working on them currently only one finished but once I get a kill team or 2 together I'll post some pictures.

I think the lamp worked the lighting seems to be a bit better. Here are 2 5-man Kill Teams I've finished. I have 2 more to do will post pics when I finish. Just casually doing them don't want to run out of things to build/paint too quick lol

Kill Team 1

Kill Team 1

Kill Team 2

Kill Team 2

Thank you, ya I was looking at their boxes they have some cool molds for them. Like the claws especially are alot meaner looking than the basic marine claw or fist. That's what I love about this chapter is you can pretty much use any chapter model and with a little converting turn it into a DW one. 

Detol if you live in the UK, normal Detol nothing fancy. Submerge the model in it and leave it a day. Repeat until you are happy.

I do love the Terminus Ultra but never had a use for it. I think they stopped selling the sprue?

I believe they got rid of the sprue I don't see it on their site anymore, but I did find it on ebay for a decent price so I snagged it. Not sure what I should paint the TU when I do finish it, cause I think it's primarily Ultramarines. I could probably do the detachment thing and incorporate some Ultramarines just to use it, if that's how my understanding is. Really just in the hobby right now, I would like to play at some point whenever I get an army together and learn. Too bad it loses it's transport ability when I first saw it I was like yes my Inquisitor can use that lol

It looses its transport capacity and gains a nice big sign saying "Kill me first to win" so that's why you do not see it even though most people love the old Landraider. It is definitely one of the more iconic tanks for 40k. I have one to my left but I am one of those people that NEEDs to pain the internal parts so I haven't fully built it yet.

If I recall they stopped selling the sprue in the last 1-1.5 years, I remember the announcement. I personally like the Dark Angel one with the Dustbin cannon on the front.

Ya I put reinforced armour on it too to make it more crazy looking. I'm thinking about using magnets for the side pods I just need to find a way to drill the holes for some reason the hand one I have that drill bit keeps moving instead of staying still so that turns instead of actually drilling.

I ended up building and painting the 2nd Dread, and then I got some flaming skulls in the mail I had ordered cause I thought they would make a cool addition to the DW being from Legion of the Damned. Not being an amazing painter just yet not sure if I want to try to add flames to the chest in between the gold pillars. I saw someone did it on google and it looked really cool but I'm far from being that good of a painter right now. So it's still a little WIP going to pick up micropens so I can write on the seals and tabards. What do you guys think, can you tell the head is on fire?

Dreadnought 2

Good job on the model, though I STRONGLY doubt a Legion of the Damned member will get into the Deathwatch. A better explanation is a Blood Angels Librarian Dreadnought seconded to the Deathwatch, who uses a psychic power to make himself look intimidating as literal hell to enemies of the Imperium.