Kolgrims's Deathwatch project

Kolgrim DeathHowl

The force is looking to be off to a good start dude.

I agree on the over use of the red on the armour for the lr and corvus, it's worth looking online for some modellers tape so you can paint them exact without bleed, lets you do finer work easier and faster.

I like the idea with the cork, if you glue them to the height you want before shaping for the model you can make them look like more natural rock formations easier and if you mix fine slate with sand for wear it joins the base it looks like a natural change so the separation becomes invisible.

Faces are the hardest part to do, I have a habit of making all my guys look suprised, in my defence considering what they are fighting I can't blame them.

Loving the new LR as well, that's a serious dedicated anti armour unit right there.

GW drills do that sadly, the only up side is because they don't sell the drill bits separate you will always have 5 or 6 hobby drills. :p

With the doors you could just fill the internal gap with enough sprue so that you can attach a magnet that will reach for contact which would be easy enough, not pretty but never visible so depends if it bothers you.

Some of my first led set ups for my knights were true Frankenstein creations that worked as well as any Truely temperamental machine spirit would. Lol

Ya I was going for more of an Inquisitorial LR when I painted it and kind of went over board a bit but I like how it turned out so I think worst case scenario if it turned out to be a problem (play wise, when I eventually get to playing) I would paint another one. Which I'll have just nearly a full LR in bits probably missing a few minor things, since I found a killer 2 LR deal on ebay for about the price of a new one. 

I can see where there extra red on the corvus looks to be too much I just wanted to be different rather than be the same as everyone. That one I would repaint if I really had too, I actually found some bids on ebay for super cheap on some already built corvus' haven't won them yet but I figure I might as well try. Ebay is like a Warhammer 40k best friend with the insane prices. At the very least you get a discount and once in a blue moon you find a hell of a deal lol.

I didn't do any research on if the LoD guys would even want to be in the army I just assumed they would. But I have 4 more heads which I can just throw in the bits box til I get better at painting/converting to make a really cool model. I have the Sergeant LoD guy where he's holding the head in the air down in storage at my aunts house. Looking forward to picking that up always loved the sculpt of that model. Last time I left it was sealed in the blister.

Newest project is the start collecting DW came in today, and I finished a Rhino with Reinforced Armour (will be a razorback, just waiting for the bit to come in). Alot of my stuff might not be super great for playing but I don't currently play at the moment. But I am enjoying getting back into the hobby painting and modeling. My grandfather has bad Alzheimers and I'm his caregiver it's pretty depressing illness to be apart of. But getting back into the hobby has really helped with the anxiety of it all so that's what brought me back.

Ebayand group selling deals are my kriptonite, I would say some advice though, try and buy around the army your planning, I have allot of models on the back burner because of good deals that I couldn't resist.

For instance I have 4 Corvus...

Seemed like a good idea at the time. Lol

Don't agonise over your first models, you always improve and learn tricks, some armies I go back to after years to add more heavy weapons and armour but they end up standing out like a sore thumb but that's because of improving over the years, if nothing else it shows you how far you have come.

If your hunting eBay the best lots tend to be where they are listed wrong, allot of DW stuff end up under inquisition, know lore wise it makes sense but from an eBay stand point it means cheap but I would say have a look at the FB selling groups for 40k as well.

Rare prizes there, I got my stern off a group years ago, full kits with inquisitor hand, a bit beat up but that's why we have paint stripper/brown detol. :p

Good choice on the extra armour as well, I do the same, just makes them look so much meaner and stands out next to stock Razorbacks as well.

I understand it can be hard, I used to work in cancer and stoma care, allot of people who suffer loose vitamin b12 and it causes early onset, it's depressing but you are doing the right thing, there is no substitute for a loved one.

It's good to hear you have found an outlet though, it's the little hobbies that we look forward to that get us through the day sometimes.

I got this Inquisitor on ebay always loved the sculpt with the pointing finger got a good deal on it. I think I'm about 90% done 5% is probably on painting touch ups shading and edging mostly but I wanted to post something I was working on. And the other 5% is a base all my 'character' models have a base that makes them taller than the rest of the army. So I'm thinking maybe cork board making rocks since the rest of my army has an Astrogranite Debri and greyish rock theme. But I still haven't decided, I'll post another when I finally finish. I got a tyranid box I wanted to use to cut up to add to bases, but this Inquisitor sounds more like a witch hunter rather than xenos.

Gideon Lorr

Also was curious how do I add tags to this thread was going to put DW and Inquisition on it but when I tried to edit my post but I didn't see an option for it.

Edit: I decided to start painting this Razorback, this is all the red I'm going to put on it to try to stay true to the DW colors.

Razorback 1

Edited by Kolgrim DeathHowl

With out going overboard on the red I was able to complete this pretty quickly, actually first Razorback I ever owned. Back when I was playing SW I just had a few Rhinos and LR's. 

Razorback 1 finished

Got about 10 more  marines I can paint, a full get started DW to build and many more goodies coming in every day from ebay I'm addicted to it lol. I got the Terminus Ultra kit in the mail today too so that's on the table. I ordered some cool DW shields from Shapeways and some SB so I kind of want to wait for those to get here to start building the DW box. I also picked up a Cadre Fireblade and Prince Yriel cause I looked at them on the sprue and they looked pretty easy to customize so I was thinking about possibly converting them into some kind of Inquisition thing. But I don't want to start if I'm not totally sure on the way to do it. Made that mistake on the biker from the Kill Team Cassius box lol. Anyways will post my next project when I figure out which direction I want to go.

Edit: I got some questions for you guys about the Prince Yriel and Fireblade conversions. Do you think an Ordos Xenos Inquisitor would have an alien helping him as in his retinue? I'm thinking no, since it's going against the DW theme. But seeing as how the DW use the Xeno blade maybe I can convert them into acolytes wearing the armor and like cutting their markings and replacing them with the Inquisition ones.

Looking good so far Kolgrim! Keep it up.

With regard your question. Obviously anything goes in 40k as it's so varied you can come up with a plausible story for almost anything. However, I think a order xenos inquisitor would have a hard time from his buddies trying to explain why they are working with a xenos scum. You could get away with it for instance if you say they have been captured and slaved to work with them. Like how a daemon host would work.

I kinda like the idea of a tau being forced to fight against tau. Its like a big FU to the opposition!

I'm interested to see what you come up with.

Sounds good ya I ordered a couple Necromunda gangs to help with the conversions so once I get them I'll really work on it, should come in by next week. But I got some terminators in the meantime to do so probably work on those in the next couple days.

I talked to some people on a facebook group for the Inquisition and they said if the Inquisitor is radical enough it would use them. So I was thinking even if I don't actually play with them I could create something cool. So maybe have Eisenhorn and a more puritan retinue with him and maybe say another more radical Inquisitor for the  more creative things.

I finished the base and touching up on the Gideon Lorr model here's a picture.

Gideon Lorr

Will post some more stuff I end up doing soon, thanks all for the support!

Edit: I got a wet pallet on Amazon for pretty cheap think it was like 29.99 for a set with a bunch of extra stuff. Was a masterson, not a big one but it's a decent size for me. This thing is amazing, if anyone is having problems where they're paint is drying up too fast or want to expand the paint you use. Should definitely check this thing out!

I ended up putting together some Terminators, did 3 double LC and 2 shield/hammer for right now. I'll probably put 2 in a kill team when I finally set up squads. At least that's what I've seen most people do. Nothing too special the far right one has a SW head from the upgrade sprue, couldn't find a decent pad to fit the other side so I'll just paint something hope it looks ok lol. First actual squad of Termies I've bought or built aside from the one I got in the Cassius box.

Terminator WIP

The DW shield or the Terminator one? The terminator one has always seemed too small, I love the DW one though and would use it on a Terminator.

The Terminator  box came with a rather larger shield and then yes a few smaller ones. But they're not DW'y enough, they're more for something like Ultramarines. But like a week or so ago I ordered 16 (left and right) hand DW specific shields. They all have different variations of the symbol and sizes. Here's the one's I'm talking about I picked up 1 of each of the set so I would have some for now and then some to save for later. I also picked up SB's and a missile launcher arm for my dreads.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/AQBN646EQ/deathvigil-veteran-storm-shields-set-29?li=ostatus&optionId=103579640

https://www.shapeways.com/product/95KR5QNJ4/deathvigil-veteran-storm-shields-set-19?li=ostatus&optionId=92628420

Sorry to hear about your granddad, Kolgrim. That's never easy. My grandmom had Alzheimers too, so I can understand how difficult that is.

On a more positive note, the shields you've picked out for the termies are quite nice, your termies should look great with them. I'd also throw in a vote in favour of the Inqusitor with a xeno in his entourage - a radical Inquisitor using some form of torture / mind control / brain washing / borderline daemonic possession and subsequent binding, in order to use an asset against his or her former faction is, in my mind, precisely the kind of horrific pet project a radical Xenos Inq might pick up to while away the long days spent in warp travel.

Maybe the asset is the one who marked the landing zone, shut off the defense grid or simply confirmed the presence of the target? It'd also be neat for more covert assassinations - the only thing better than killing all the aliens, is starting a war between two factions and then killing the few survivors. The lives of the God-Emperors Imperial Guard may be cheap, but lasguns and artillery shells both have price tags, after all.

Sounds like some cool ideas, was thinking about maybe using some necromunda bits to make an acolyte wearing the fireblade armor and then another thought was if I could convert or paint it so it looked like he had the Inquisitor I on him like burned into his skin would be pretty cool. I found a bunch of necromunda gangs on ebay for a decent price so I snagged a few different boxes. I snagged a couple different Deamonhosts too to make something also. Not sure how well the stuff fairs in the actual game but for the most part I just like creating things. In like 2 weeks I'm heading back down to FL to pick up some stuff out of my aunts house, namely all my 40k stuff I had from around the early 2000's. Was considering since DW kind of lack close combat units it might be worth doing a DW detatchment and then some of the SW in another detatchment. I've got like a 2k point army down there half painted half primed, a few tanks too. Think I even have one of those old era tanks before they got the body upgrade like the LR's. Pretty sure it's painted as Ultramarines before I really had a set army I was going for. Just excited to get all my stuff again :smile.:

Edit here is the Missile Launcher arm I got from Shapeways, got 2 more to do they're primed. I still have to build the last dread though. Would of preferred the actual one from GW but they're so hard to find, ebay had some but they were too expensive for me.

Dreadnought Missile Launcher Arm

Instead of starting a new reply just throwing some WIP of what I'm doing now. I just built this razorback, I've got the reinforced armor for it. But I want to try to copy them with platicard before I put them on so I can just make some myself try to save some money.

Razorback 2

Razorback 2 WIP

I got those shields in the mail today so when I plan on painting them soon, probably wait for the sun to come out to prime lol. More to come, couldn't sleep so I started chipping away at the stuff I got recently.

I pretty much finished the razorback just need to add the extra armor, but I wanted to finish the termy test model to show you guys the shields in case you're interested in getting them. They all are pretty decent some are bigger than others, there are some smaller ones but they all have the DW symbol or something like it on them. I posted a picture for you to see of the ones I've got. The termy was really testing some stuff out I tried to make the space wolf shoulder pad I used a blue ish grey and yellow but it didn't turn out so well, and red on his shin. I should of used red on the shoulder pad I think that would of looked better. But I have 4 more termies to do and another box of 5 on the list.

Termy SS TH Wip

Termy SS TH Wip 2

shields

I forgot the most important part. The base!

Termie with SH SS

I built a couple marines with SB and SS, will have more done soon. Just haven't been feeling well lately.

Looking good, I would say though don't be afraid of cutting into the arm joints at the shoulders and posing them closer to their bodies, they look good but similar is all.

With the old Keith's if you have any spare vanguard legs or fancy a swap you can get allot more movement in the model and really gain a little snippet of the battle zone in the base.

Ya I was trying to get them to where I could use the base to hold it, but I'll try that on the next few. For some reason this plastic marines were giving me a super tough time to put together. I made a smash captain and it literally took me all day to get it glued. When I built the first ones with hammers I don't remember having that hard of a time putting them together, was strange. But I wanted to make sure the shields were kind of level and not sitting at different angles. I had to pin the SB's to the forearm, and then the smash captain since it gave me so much trouble I had to pin the arm in 2 places lol.

Edit: I finished building the SS/SB marines here's the latest few plus a group shot and a smash captain. Once I get my guys painted I'll figure out what their groups for the list will be for now just some WIP. I like to paint the backpacks separate from the models so that's why they're off right now. I wanted to save the shields I got from Shapeways for the Termies, since their shields are kind of lame looking. And the shields for DW aren't bad I actually had enough between the 2 get started boxes I've gotten. Just needed to use 1 Shapeways shield. I've got 9 more Termies to do, they're primed but I just need to do some modeling and replace the shields with the ones I ordered. Going down to FL next week to pick up some stuff from my aunts house mainly my old 40k stuff, but I'll be gone for about a week so I might not get much done before then.

IMG 3466 (2)

IMG 3467 (2)

IMG 3468 (2)

So I posted my above pics in this DW Facebook group I'm in and a few guys told me I should get some bikes. What's cool is I won 2 3pack bikers for the price of 1 on ebay a few weeks ago. So they kind of lit the fire under my ass to start them. So I started out with the 2 Sergeants first they have SB/SS i'll have 2 groups of 3. Working on my 3rd regular now but the 2 Sergeants are done.

biker sergeants

I didn't have any chainswords so I ordered 20 of them for future projects, so when they get in ill redo the regular marines with chainswords. Here's both bike squads WIP:

biker squads

Finished building off the termies I had a few SS/TH and a few LC's, for once my hands weren't shaking so bad was able to actually get some work done.

termies

Got alot of painting to go now!

Finally got some painting done for DW, 2 5-man kill teams. Once I finish all my DW I may change their groups for the sake of how they are armed but for right now they're a group for the picture. Have a Sergeant in each with a combi-plasma gun, Black Shield in each group and the rest are just armed with stuff before I knew about making them all SS/SB and such. Kind of rush them a little bit cause I just wanted them to be tabletop rather than focus on all the details. I just want to play the game and I got alot of stuff on the table to finish.

Kill Team 1

Kill Team 4

Kill Team 2

Kill Team 3

Edit: Going out of town this week, but hopefully I'll get back in the groove when I get back and get some more models painted. Going down to pick up my old 40k models I have in storage so hopefully I'll have more of a selection to build/paint.

Minor update  before I go out of town, Tor Garadon came in the mail today and I got some super glue so I was able to build it with some DW flare to it. Some poor xenos souls resting at his feet. Still WIP I may add more skulls and other stuff to the base but this is what I got so far! Might not actually play with him in my army but I thought the sculpt was cool and could convert it to DW.

Tor project 1

Tor project 2

I'm considering putting a storm bolter in his left hand and then using the other hand as a powerfist might work to play with him. Would you guys let it pass off as a terminator if you were casually playing? Or maybe I could make him a Sergeant...

Edit: So I added a storm bolter cause I had one I broke the hand off so it worked out, it's probably not ideal but I could use him as a Sergeant with a power fist and a storm bolter if I wanted to play with him.

Tor project 3

Tor project 4

Also added a new smash captain might make some others with other weapon load outs but I'll save that for when I get back from the trip

smash captain

smash captain shield

Can't sleep lol so I'm up building things so I made this base for the smash captain, I'm actually really happy with how it came out. I got a pin in the middle of it so when I paint it I can take the model off the base to get in those spots that will be hard to reach.

smash captain base 2

smash captain base 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey friends been a while since I posted  went out of town, and then I got sick but I'm feeling better now to actually get up and paint some stuff. I found this guy in a box of bits I had that I had found among other stuff. Actually found some stuff in the boxes I didn't even know I had was a good surprise. Just waiting for the astrogranite debri to dry before finishing the base. 

Watch Sergeant bolter melta And power Axe