Has anyone seen an attempt to bring 30k into 8th edition?

The Unseen

Just curious.

I don't want to debate the relative merits or flaws in doing so, I just wonder if anyone else has had the idea and actually done it yet.

I mean, you could knock out a legion home brew codex easy after the new space marine codex.

The hard part would be all the legion specific rules and units.

I'm tempted anyway though, it might make a great base for a narrative campaign I've had brewing in my head.

Just curious.

I don't want to debate the relative merits or flaws in doing so, I just wonder if anyone else has had the idea and actually done it yet.

I mean, you could knock out a legion home brew codex easy after the new space marine codex.

The hard part would be all the legion specific rules and units.

I'm tempted anyway though, it might make a great base for a narrative campaign I've had brewing in my head.

What's the narrative campaign idea?

A dawn of war style campaign for control of a system.

Currently trying to decide if it should be faction based (so you pick Imperium, Chaos, Xenos/unaligned) or a complete player free for all.

I like the faction idea better though.

And having it be right at the start of the Heresy would be kinda neat.

A mixed crusade force is stranded when the Ruinstorm happens, and suddenly all the imperials splinter into loyalist and traitor forces, while the xenos empire they were fighting, well, isn't dead yet.

More detailed stuff would have to wait till I could get solid info on what people would be playing.

And thanks monolith, I'll check that out

I have had a go at porting a few of the Mechanicum Taghmata units so that I could play my 30k stuff at the local gaming group as none there played 30k. The ones that have made it past the second draft and used in a few games where Thallax and Ursarax plus a new HQ choice I made that was based on my Arch Magos Malagra to be a on theme Thallax captain (and not the monster he is as the Malagra).

gallery_29932_12734_67992.jpg

I have played several 500p to 1000p games with them and the porting seems to have been ok at they were all close games and nothing was overly powerful/overly weak.

I have drafts in various stages for the various Battle Automata but I have not field tested them in game.

You can guesstimate Power Level for 30k by taking the Matched Play value of a unit in 8th and the Age of Darkness points from the rule books. For instance say an upgraded Thallax Squad is 300points in AoD, you'd see how much 300 points of a unit in the Mechanicus Codex is, and use that unit's power level. 

I'm in the other boat where I would very much welcome an 8th Edition 30k.

The loss of Armor Facings doesn't phase me one bit. Sure, it was nice to outmaneuver an opponent and get good shots off on the Enemy Rear armor but its something I can easily live without since it, in my experience at least, never really came into play. 

The change to Toughness for Vehicles also made it so that MCs and GMCs (not that there were any in 30k) were not just superior in every conceivable way the easiest example to make for this being Vehicles (that werent super heavy) having a much higher change of being 1-shot by stuff vs MCs that only ever having to worry about Instant Death (not that widespread).

For 30k Specifically, this means that Mechanicum Robots and Legion Dreadnoughts are on a much more even playing field.

Sure, vehicles had an immunity to some weapons straight up due to the <weapon STR> + D6 = AV to determine No Damage, Glance or Pen but the apocalyptic "LASGUNS ARE KILLING LAND RAIDERS" wealing and woeing that was rather prevalent up to the release of 8th has, pretty much, never come to pass.

If anything, the ability for a lasgun to wound a LR on a 6 and the LR fail its 2+ save, to me, means that its one hell of a lucky shot that struck a view port in just the right way to cause *some* damage. 

I also dont see the arguments for "Depth and Feel" vs "Movie Trailer" since, to me, a game is a game. As long as theres a reduction in "feels bad" game mechanics or interactions and the game is balanced and fair with no glaring cognitive dissonance moments (my aforementioned Mechanicum Automata vs Dreadnoughts example), then I don't care as long as its fun.

Could just make Dreads MC and solve the majority of those issues straight away. If the upcoming Forge World announcement isn’t that they’re binning the Heresy and telling all its fans to go die in a fire, I think the next iteration of the AoD ruleset will actually start incorporating the changes people wanted the main studio to do for 3rd through 7th that they never did because of all the different factions to balance. I wouldn’t be surprised if glancing vehicles to death, dreads being MCs, tighter firing arc and template rules, and psychic phase abuse all get fixed.

Come on folks, dont start edition wars again, nobody ever changes their mind or makes any particularly interesting points the same balance of narrative/vet/floating players it all just comes down to how clunky you like your rules ;)  

Come on folks, dont start edition wars again, nobody ever changes their mind or makes any particularly interesting points the same balance of narrative/vet/floating players it all just comes down to how clunky you like your rules ;)

I like my rules having the tactical depth of a wargame, not the limiting simplicity of a board game. Edited by m0nolith

I respect all views but I would say that I think it is nice that folks that want a simpler approach like 40k and that those of us that like the way 30k work get to keep our game while having it supported. 

There is no need to demand everyone do the same thing.

That being said, I sort of wish that some of the units did have 40k rules for the simple reason that I dislike how same-y 40k chapters are now in comparison. More egregiously since they are supposed to be a far more diverse diaspora and with each new edition we see more chapters flipping the bird to the UM way of doing things. 

I kinda like the idea that while adopting the codex, progenitors still kept some of their special traditions and units. 

I respect all views but I would say that I think it is nice that folks that want a simpler approach like 40k and that those of us that like the way 30k work get to keep our game while having it supported.

There is no need to demand everyone do the same thing.

That being said, I sort of wish that some of the units did have 40k rules for the simple reason that I dislike how same-y 40k chapters are now in comparison. More egregiously since they are supposed to be a far more diverse diaspora and with each new edition we see more chapters flipping the bird to the UM way of doing things.

I kinda like the idea that while adopting the codex, progenitors still kept some of their special traditions and units.

These community made 8th Ed rules are great for those who want to play 8th with their HH modes.

What I can’t stand is how self centred and entitled some people can be with their insistence that 30k be officially ported over to 8th because it’s the system they prefer, leaving 30k players that prefer AoD rules with nothing.

Even though they already have a 8th Ed based game that is many times bigger...but still that’s not enough for them.

But speaking of selfishness, although I admit I like being the special snowflake with all the cool 30k Legion units, I wouldn’t mind it if 40k players would get access to those same awesome models. Yeah it would reduce the novelty and....”specialness” of my units if a regular 40k army HD access to them, but I would have to be a jerk to insist on keeping all these cool toys to myself.

Edited by m0nolith