Raven Guard with Salamanders 3000pt

Ultramarinebo

Been working on a semi-cheesy loyalist list for an up coming tournament with the fellas. I've made this list with the ''meat grinder" special rule in mind (all troops respawn into ongoing reserves if destroyed). VP's are awarded each turn for how many units (Troop/Elite) you have in the opponent's half of the table. These rules are taken from Book 2.

Raven Guard - Recon Company

Allied Salamanders- Pride of the Legion

HQ

Strike Captain Alvarex Maun – Re-roll Reserves on Flyers and Drop Pods – Artificer/Power Sword – 18” Deep Strike No Scatter – 140

Salamanders Praetor - Terminator Armour – Storm Shield – Artificer Paragon Blade (Master Crafted) - Mantle of the Elder Drake (Eternal Warrior) -(Storm Eagle) -190

TROOPS

5x Legion Recon Team – Camo – Fleet/Infiltrate – Melta Bombs - Shroud Bombs – Combi Melta Sarge – 155

Rhino – Combi Melta - 45

5x Legion Recon Team – Camo – Fleet/Infiltrate – Melta Bombs – Shroud Bombs – Combi Melta Sarge – 155

Rhino – Combi Melta - 45

5x Legion Recon Team – Camo – Fleet/Infiltrate – Melta Bombs – Shroud Bombs – Combi Melta Sarge – 155

Rhino – Combi Melta – 45

15x Legion Breachers – Fleet/Infiltrate – 3x Graviton Guns – Boarding Shields – Hardened Armour – Melta Bombs – Legion Vexilla – Apothecary – Strike Captain - 340

8x Salamander Legion Terminators – Power Fists – 2x Chain Fist – Storm Shields – Praetor – Apothecary - (Storm Eagle) 355

ELITES

1x Raven Guard Apothecary – Artificer - 55

1x Salamanders Apothecary – Artificer - (Storm Eagle)- 55

FAST ATTACK

9x Dark Fury Assault Squad – Duel Raven Claws (Master Crafted/Shred/Ap 3 Rending) - +1 Int and Str when Charging – 5+ Cover on DS Arrival – Deep Strike (No Scatter) – 265

Salamanders Legion Storm Eagle Assault Gunship – Twin Linked Heavy Bolter – Vengeance Launcher – 2x Twin Linked Las Cannons - Deepstrike (Re Rollable/No Scatter) – Assault Vehicle – Machine Spirit - 250

HEAVY SUPPORT

8x Salamanders Legion Heavy Support Squad – Augury Scanner – Volkite Culverins – 280

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought – Grav Flux Bombard – Ceramite – 2x Flamers – Melta Gun – Additional D3 wounds for each unsaved – 4++ - 2x Hammer of Wrath - +1 Int on Charge - 310

Dreadnought Drop Pod – 65

The plan is to infiltrate all Recon teams in their rhinos as well as the breacher blob. Strike captain will rerollable guide the deep striking Salamander Praetor/Terminators in their storm eagle to ruin everything. All this will be bolstered by the Lev vomit dread. Still open to how I'll use the dark fury unit, will likely deep strike with no scatter too.

Glhf

Greetings,

fluffwise, I really like this list. Looks cool and you can say whether unit belong to XVIII or XIX Legion. However, I'd worry about a few things:

- First of all, you CAN'T have the Apothecary join Terminator squad. He's not Independent Character and have a limited list of units he can join. He can join Dark Fury squad though, which further complements this excellent unit.

- You suffer from few ranged anti-armour choices which may prove fatal - at 3000 points it's pretty common for super heavies and spartans to show up. A TL Lascannons, a few combi-meltas and 3 Gravguns is not enough imo (I don't count Volkite as anti-tank), though it's a good start.  You do have melta bombs and two chainfists, so maybe it will be enough. But I'd advise something more powerful. Perhaps swap Leviathan's gear to Drill and Melta or take some other dedicated tank hunter.

- Now, I don't mean to discourage you from taking what you want, but your troops are very expensive and not that efficient point-wise. Recon Squads are needed for your Rite of War, but Breachers are just lackluster in my opinion.  For the same price you can have twice as many Tacticals which will outperform them any day. But a large Assault Squad might be more appealing to Raven Guard. Alternatively you could take second troops choice for Salamanders, Veterans or Terminators. Right now if the Terminators die, you lose 2 Victory Points. Ouch!

- Lastly, I suggest a small tweak concerning the Praetor. He's tough as hell and can easily tank most opponents. He'd be better suited with a Hammer or Chainfist to make sure whatever he hits is dead after a singular wound.

I believe these changes would be beneficial for you but obviously you should roll with whatever strike your fancy.

Thanks man, the campaign we are playing is based around Istvaan III so I see this as an early phase loyalist assault. The Ravenguard are forward sentries marking out drop zones for the Sally's to make planetfall. I'll be taking on EC, SoH and mechanicum opponents.

Thanks for pointing out the apothecary issue, will throw him a jump pack and place with the Furys. You are definitely right about the breachers, I would go with Assault marines except they don't benefit from infiltrate. I'm tempted to swap them out for a 20 man tactical blob and save some points.

I have neglected long range AV such as Las because I figured I'd be in the opponent's grill very early due to drop pods + infiltrating the Raven's. The early pressure would overwhelm any LoW or heavy support using the Leviathan and swarming cheap melta rhinos. Keep in mind I'm expecting to lose the Recon squads, in this game type they will respawn (due to meat grinder), outflank and replenish their combimeltas.

I was going for high initiative on the Praetor but you are definitely right in regards to double strength instant death, another chainfist won't hurt.

Hopefully I can scrounge together a few points for a Mortis dread, Predator or Lightning to fill out the ranged anti-tank.

Cheers for the feedback mate, much appreciated

In line with the Breacher feed back + fluff, I've dropped the big squad and used to points to throw down two small Mor Deythan Squads. It aligns with the army-wide Stealth that the Recon teams bring. It makes the Raven Guard detachment far more killy and also adds a multiple-small-unit feel to the list. The opponent will be dealing with 5 rhinos in their grill turn one. Really keen to play this, cheers. Comes out at 10pts over I believe, will likely drop some melta bombs.

Raven Guard - Recon Company

Allied Salamanders- Pride of the Legion

HQ

Strike Captain Alvarex Maun – Re-roll Reserves on Flyers and Drop Pods – Artificer/Power Sword – 18” Deep Strike No Scatter – 140

Salamanders Praetor - Terminator Armour – Storm Shield – Artificer Paragon Blade (Master Crafted) - Mantle of the Elder Drake (Eternal Warrior) -(Storm Eagle) -190

TROOPS

5x Legion Recon Team – Camo – Fleet/Infiltrate – Melta Bombs - Shroud Bombs – Combi Melta Sarge – 155

Rhino – Combi Melta - 45

Rhino – Combi Melta - 45

Rhino – Combi Melta – 45

9x Salamander Legion Terminators – Power Fists – 2x Chain Fist – Storm Shields – Praetor – (Storm Eagle) - 400

ELITES

5x Mor Deythan Strike Squad - Camo - infiltrate/fleet/scout - BS 5 + Fatal Strike - shroud bombs - Combi Plasma - 170

Rhino - 35

5x Mor Deythan Strike Squad - Camo - infiltrate/fleet/scout - BS 5 + Fatal Strike - shroud bombs - Combi Plasma - 170

Rhino - 35

FAST ATTACK

9x Dark Fury Assault Squad – Duel Raven Claws (Master Crafted/Shred/Ap 3 Rending) - +1 Int and Str when Charging – 5+ Cover on DS Arrival – Deep Strike (No Scatter) – 265

Salamanders Legion Storm Eagle Assault Gunship – Twin Linked Heavy Bolter – Vengeance Launcher – 2x Twin Linked Las Cannons - Deepstrike (Re Rollable/No Scatter) – Assault Vehicle – Machine Spirit - 250

HEAVY SUPPORT

8x Salamanders Legion Heavy Support Squad – Augury Scanner – Volkite Culverins – 280

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought - Melta Lance – Ceramite – 2x Flamers – Melta Gun – Additional D3 wounds for each unsaved – 4++ - 2x Hammer of Wrath - +1 Int on Charge - 310

Dreadnought Drop Pod – 65

Respawning combi-meltas are some sneaky tactics I haven't thought about! Let's just hope the opponent doesn't bring Armoured Ceramite. ;)

Love the new list - Mor Deythan is effective, mobile and fluffy; shame you don't have those gravguns from Breachers anymore but I think it's better off this way as that unit was just too expensive for what it had to offer.

I'd still suggest a fluffy hammer over paragon blade, especially against Emperor's Children (and their Praetors with Iniative of 7), but frankly the blade might just pay for itself against Mechanicum - it wounds their T6,7,8 monsters less reliably but can slay them outright.