I'm not against primaris marines but...

Kolgrim DeathHowl

They seem to be the new meta going around these days. Should I look into getting some in the near future. My current army consists of 20 marines, 1 Inquisitor with a Land Raider Redeemer and a Corvus Blackstar. Just trying to get an idea of if I should look into  buy some of them to add to my army.

Edited by Kolgrim DeathHowl

Old models still have a roll, infact if you do not have one pack of the killteam then I would suggest getting one for the bits inside it. Primaris are becoming stronger and stronger every time they look at the rules so eventually they will be better. The only old kits I want now is a second Venerable Dreadnought and a Drop pod. Everything else is Primaris but I am getting them via the Conquest Magazine releases.

Old Marines are getting phased out. Slowly. It’s still worth building and fielding them, and they still have good kill teams, but eventually support will stop for them. Could be 2020, could be 2022.

Primaris have really good durability. My opponent did 14 MWs to an intergressor squad(5 intercessors, 3 Aggressors and 2 Inceptors) and it only killed 5 models. That pretty much wipes an old marine Kill Team.

I like to utilize both because they have different strengths and bring different utility.

Plus the new guys look pretty awesome painted in black and silver.

I would like primaris more for DW if they had more options. That’s what I like about Veteran squads, you can kit them out for specific rolls, and to have survivability via cheap storm shields.

I frequently face DE haemo lists with ravage support that has lots of multi damage weaponry that shreds primaris.

Also, the HQ options are very limited, IMO, no terminator equivalent, no jump pack, basically just get a power fist or power sword.

Until they start opening up what primaris can take as far as upgrades I’m not gonna bother with them.

Probably what I'll do is just keep painting the old models I have, since I'm still getting back into the hobby after so long the practice helps. My aunt found another get started box on ebay for alot cheaper than the store and she got it for me as a surprise. So I guess after I finish painting those I'll move to just getting primaris from now on. Being as I'm not currently playing as of right now it doesn't really matter but once I get to playing I'll save up and start getting the new ones.

The DW boxes are stupidly hard to locate now, best bet is get normal boxes and grab an upgrade sprue, apart from the Kill team box that's whats in the DW Terminator/Vanguard Vet boxes anyway. I have been able to get a kill team box for about £18 on average, but it is ebay so can be iffy.

Normal prices that I consider buying upgrade sprues at are anything below £6 all included. You can buy them from £6.50+ from online stores if you have a bigger order.

I was about to link some online stores but you're in the US? I have no idea whats good outside of UK/Europe sorry.

Edited by Black_Knight

I've actually ordered from some overseas places before they always arrived on time and there were no problems. I found a couple squads of Hellblasters and Intercessors on ebay already built and either bare or primed. I would much rather build them cause that's whats fun about it is building things yourself, but they're pretty cheap so I threw a bid on there and gave myself a top I would stop so if I win I win if not no biggy.

I got a couple Necromunda gangs though I ordered to expand my Inquisition stuff, not really worried about how well things play right now. I'm just having alot of fun building converting and painting. It's like a super stress and anxiety relief dealing with my grandfathers Alzheimer's disease, so that's all that  matters really. I do want to eventually play it once I get a full force together I'll head up to the shops most of them have like Warhammer Sat/Sun events for people to come and play, maybe I can meet some people somewhat closer to where I live.