Assault destroyers?

Beatnik cryptek

On the fb necron large someone raised the idea of an assault destroyer, a destroyer that favored close assault and combat. 

Basically a destroyer with maybe more close combat weapon options, like some sort of warscythe, possibly a new shooting weapon like a flamer or a particle beamer that would be a type of pistol that couild also be used in close combat. 

Anyone here think this is a good idea? 

Edited by Beatnik cryptek

I don't play Necrons, but I do like the idea of Assault destroyers - perhaps armed with some kind of lance or glaive? In fact, I think "Destroyer Cults" should be able to be fielded as a separate detachment (much like Drukhari Kabals, Wytch Cults and Haemonculus Covens can technically be seen as separate armies)

As a converse, I'd like more options for the Triarch sub-faction: perhaps a shooty unit, and a different kind of HQ.

I don't play Necrons, but I do like the idea of Assault destroyers - perhaps armed with some kind of lance or glaive? In fact, I think "Destroyer Cults" should be able to be fielded as a separate detachment (much like Drukhari Kabals, Wytch Cults and Haemonculus Covens can technically be seen as separate armies)

As a converse, I'd like more options for the Triarch sub-faction: perhaps a shooty unit, and a different kind of HQ.

I've wanted this for a long time.

I'd really like to see something like a unit of scythe wielding destroyers too. It's definitely not unthinkable. GW has created assault units out of shooty units in the past and vice versa. Mutilators and Obliterators as an example. Though, given how Necron close combat units are, they'll probably hit like they're armed with pool noodles and die like they're covered in cardboard armor :rolleyes: :lol: Maybe someone could come up with some homegrown rules and do some playtesting?

It even looks great when you slap a Lychguard torso and armament on a Destroyer chassis; if only GW still made rules for units they didn't explicitly make models for right? I wouldn't even mind if they were just Lychguard with 3w each and a 10" move, with the abilities of Destroyers instead. They could still have the bodyguard ability given there are Destroyer Lords to be protected.

I guess Praetorians are, at least stat wise, as close as we currently get.

Pariah's were equipped with a warscythe that had a built in gauss flayer (maybe had its own name and only a 12" range?), that would be a solid weapon style for a unit like this.

Edited by NTaW

I'm envisioning.

Necron Destroyers (Assault)
Squad Size (1 to 6)

Movement 10"
WS 3+
BS 3+

S 5
T 5
W 3
A 2
LD 10
Save 3+

You may add additional Destroyers to this squad, to a maximum of 6.
Each Destroyer +30 points

Weapons (Each Model May Choose From the Following Weapons)

Warscythe - 9 Points
VoidScythe - 20 Points
Void Blade and Particle Caster - 6 Points

Hyperphase Sword - 3 Points

Key Words
Destroyers, <Dynasty>, Faction: Necrons, Fly, Infantry, Fast Attack

Special Rules
Hard-Wired Hatred
Reanimation Protocols
Repulsor Platform

I came to the cost for the platform by looking at what a gauss cannon is considered to cost in the codex (20 points), and subtracting that from the destroyer profile. Result is a base 30 point model.

Is it great? Sort of? The Hard Wired Hatred makes them natively re-roll 1s to hit in melee, which is nice, but they have a very, very low number of attacks for an assault squad.

Since the staff of light is a badge of office in lore, I did not make that available to them. I gave them access to the other non-triarch weapons to give some flexibility regarding price range, and ideal targets.

Edited by BaconCouch

I'm envisioning.

Necron Destroyers (Assault)

Squad Size (1 to 6)

Movement 10"

WS 3+

BS 3+

S 5

T 5

W 3

A 2

LD 10

Save 3+

You may add additional Destroyers to this squad, to a maximum of 6.

Each Destroyer +30 points

Weapons (Each Model May Choose From the Following Weapons)

Warscythe - 9 Points

VoidScythe - 20 Points

Void Blade and Particle Caster - 6 Points

Hyperphase Sword - 3 Points

Key Words

Destroyers, <Dynasty>, Faction: Necrons, Fly, Infantry, Fast Attack

Special Rules

Hard-Wired Hatred

Reanimation Protocols

Repulsor Platform

I came to the cost for the platform by looking at what a gauss cannon is considered to cost in the codex (20 points), and subtracting that from the destroyer profile. Result is a base 30 point model.

Is it great? Sort of? The Hard Wired Hatred makes them natively re-roll 1s to hit in melee, which is nice, but they have a very, very low number of attacks for an assault squad.

Since the staff of light is a badge of office in lore, I did not make that available to them. I gave them access to the other non-triarch weapons to give some flexibility regarding price range, and ideal targets.

I really like it. Hopefully they do something like this in the near future

Edited by BattleKing

Not that the destroyer model is incredibly old, but you can tell GW wants necrons to get away from the green rods. Units like the monolith too. Having said that, GW could do a new duel kit for destroyers, one shooty one close combat. And if they do, you can guarantee there will be at least one new rule add on. 

New warriors, possibly duel kit with warriors that stand straighter. New monolith, new flayed ones...and barring a few characters that would bring the whole range up to date. And the green rods will be no more........