LIBER ASTARTES SWAP CHALLENGE 2019 - WIPs

This is the master thread for the works in progresss for the LIBER ASTARTES SWAP CHALLENGE 2019 (LASC 2019), where participants in The Liber have written an article about their Astartes Chapter/Chaos Warband and have been swapped with another participants' own creation to create a single miniature before the end of January 1st at 23:59 GMT

The participants and swapped chapters/warbands assigned are as follows:

Participant Swaps:

So stay tuned, peeps, we will have plenty of activity here soon. Please do feel free to provide feedback and encouragement to these superb Fraters who have taken part. :smile.:

Cambrius

Edited by Brother Cambrius

So while I was just going to do 'a marine' from each faction I've been assigned to, I've decided instead to go for something a little grander.

Given that the models I make here will be regularly featured Guest Star Ally/Enemy in my Space Crusade games, I've opted to make a full-blown character for both the Asperos Astra (coming soon) and the Angels of Decay.

So I was missing a decent torso for a Chaos marine, until I dug up an old Chaos-Warrior-cloaked-back-blended-with-Chaos-Marine-front abomination I'd attempted about a decade ago. With a bit more filing work, I made it fit alright on Space Marine legs.

It'd be a bit overkill for a line marine, thought I, but for a Sorcerer....
I had a rummage around and found a suitably Nurgley hat, and a spare pair of legs from my old Hatecrowned, threw in some weapons I had lying around, and...

gallery_46204_9220_65446.jpg

Some potential there, I thought. Excuse the low quality pic - I only had my old phone to hand, and the urge to paint was rising.

So much so, in fact, that I've spent the last two hours battering the base colours for this model.

BEHOLD:

gallery_46204_9220_197642.jpg

Torso Front View:

gallery_46204_9220_81929.jpg

And so begins the legend of Falrust, Lord of Corpses - Angel of Decay and emissary to the Glastheim Rifts.

Death and Salvation!

I've made a start on a 10th Company Reiver for my assignment, the Ashen Blades.

gallery_103206_15945_169615.jpg

Nothing particularly radical about the Reiver build, but I wanted to make sure he had plenty of storage for any dataslates or tomes he'd already retrieved.

gallery_103206_15945_77762.jpg

I put a bit more work into his base though. I've imagined him fighting his way through a dimly-lit data repository, candles flickering in the darkness and stray parchment littered across the floor. I still need to build up the base of the candles to make them look like they're sitting in a puddle of old wax - the PVA glue didn't do as good a job as I'd hoped - and seal on the rogue piece of parchment, but I should be getting basecoats down by the weekend hopefully.

And so, let it be known that the Angels of Decay claim first blood in the race to completion! :devil:

gallery_46204_9220_61294.jpg

Not all poisons are slow-acting. :biggrin.:

Falrust, Lord of Corpses, rises to bring ruin and decay to all who oppose the will of the Plaguefather!

...I have just spotted that monster mould line on Falrust's left fist.

Ugh. :facepalm:

Looking good Ace. Hit me up with some fluff and I'll include him in the character section of the IT.

I'll throw some into the Completed Miniatures thread in the Hall of Honour - let me just figure out a few details, and I'll get right on it! :turned:

Well, about time I added my miniature into the mix, having finally taken the plastic off my box of Reivers I bought ages ago, I decided it would be apt to have a Reiver Sergeant for golfdeltafoxtrot's Grey Ravens chapter of Primaris.

Ace's posed Reiver for his White Hawks inspired me to try a similar pose for this mini, only with an added Bolt Carbine for more punch as I intend to have this guy act as a Sergeant in my 10 man Reiver Squad of Vanquishers, serving as a training adviser to the Chapter on void warfare complimenting their urban warfare skills:

Thus we have Brother Sergeant Kyvrann of the Grey Ravens, seconded to the 4th "Resilient" Company of the Vanquishers:

med_gallery_26154_4148_433336.jpg med_gallery_26154_4148_286348.jpg

I intend to put him on a much more worthy base later on, as those Reiver legs were a frustrating challenge to glue and hold in place. :wallbash:

But here's to some more progress in the LASC!

Cambrius

Looking good there Ace.  Well, in a Nurgle good kind of way.  Not an invite over to meet your parents kinda way.

Glad you approve, brother! I kept with the "blood and rot" sort of visual you had with your Lord of Contagion.

Very, very fun to paint!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far, brothers!

My easy-to-build Intercessor squad just arrived. All I need now is a day off or two, with time to (maybe) dig up some fancy bitz and get some paint on these new lads...

...And then we'll have some law in these here parts. :happy.:

I've made plenty of progress over the last few days, and I'm heading towards completion.

gallery_103206_15945_203686.jpg

gallery_103206_15945_101701.jpg

gallery_103206_15945_20733.jpg

gallery_103206_15945_141388.jpg

I'm pleased with the rune on the purity seal, I've imagined it as showing that his webbing has been sanctified for carriage of retrieved lore.

The Chapter badge isn't as smooth as I'd like, it's been warm in the living room and the paint was drying faster than I wanted. I'm fairly pleased with my freehand work though, I've never done that much before. I'd appreciate any tips on highlighting it though, it all looks a bit flat.

The base is also pretty much done.

gallery_103206_15945_14323.jpg

gallery_103206_15945_119771.jpg

gallery_103206_15945_55758.jpg

This is probably the most work I've ever done on one base, and I have to say I'm fairly pleased with the results. I'm satisfied with how the candles and the parchment have turned out, and I've tried to make it look like some of the cobbles are covered in lichen or slimy moss with a few layers of Athonian Camoshade. Again, the freehand 'text' on the parchment could have turned out better, but it conveys what I wanted to about where the Reiver is fighting.

Next to do will be the decals, and maybe another freehand rune or two.

Comments and criticism are most welcome.

That Ashen Blade is absolutely incredible. :biggrin.:
I can't really offer any freehand tips - that's my major weakness when it comes to painting, unfortunately. :sweat:

If you ain't building and painting to The Clash's "I Fought the Law", Ace, you are doing it wrong.:tongue.:

Cambrius

Nah.
Wild west soundtracks all day, brother. :happy.:

And I must be doing something right, otherwise there wouldn't be this:

gallery_46204_9220_70442.jpg

Starting with the body first - get the base colours in, then it's time to build me a longcoat.
It'll be a sleeveless coat, probably - my attempts at sleeves have so far been awful. :ermm:

Progress!

Let's add some blues to these reds:

gallery_46204_9220_32962.jpg

Happy with the body of my lawbringer so far, but he's missing something...

Oh yeah, a proper western-style longcoat. :biggrin.:

Been a few years since I tried the old capes-made-from-tissue technique, but here goes nothing:

gallery_46204_9220_52424.jpg

gallery_46204_9220_122095.jpg

Ah, that's the stuff!:happy.:

If I had more hands, I'd take a preview of how he'll look with his (still unpainted) arms on - honestly not too bad! I attempted to make sleeves for his arms, but that worked out terribly - so I scrubbed all the tissue off, and he'll have to make do with a sleeveless coat.

I don't think I'll get chance to work on this guy for the rest of the week, though. But still, progress! :laugh.:

(I've just spotted the happy easter chicken in the background - I guess I have a mascot now :tongue.: )

Sooooo I had the morning off since work decided to change my shifts up a bit.
As a result, I'm also going to claim first blood for the loyalists - nobody's quicker on the draw than the Asperos Astra!

gallery_46204_9220_69530.jpg

This plucky gunslinger's ready to bring these lawless lands some law and order. :happy.:

There'll be more pics (and some backstory) in the Completed Miniatures thread! :biggrin.:

Finished up my model for Brother Argent's Iron Heralds! This guy is going to be painted up as a Veteran Sergeant. Let the PAINTING COMMENCE!!!! :cool.: :drool:

(I haven't been able to figure out how to upload a full photo, so if need be you can check my Gallery! I've tried resizing (800x600) and minimizing the file size but it keeps coming out as a thumbnail)

Finished up my model for Brother Argent's Iron Heralds! This guy is going to be painted up as a Veteran Sergeant. Let the PAINTING COMMENCE!!!! :cool.: :drool:

(I haven't been able to figure out how to upload a full photo, so if need be you can check my Gallery! I've tried resizing (800x600) and minimizing the file size but it keeps coming out as a thumbnail)

gallery_177745_15864_121199.jpg

looks good, might want to work on that thigh/knee a bit more before painting though.

Edited by Cadius

Finished up my model for Brother Argent's Iron Heralds! This guy is going to be painted up as a Veteran Sergeant. Let the PAINTING COMMENCE!!!! :cool.: :drool:

Go into your album, open up the picture you want to link to, right-click the picture and select "Direct link to this image file" in the small pop-up window, copy the URL and paste it in the "Image" box in your post. :)

Finished up my model for Brother Argent's Iron Heralds! This guy is going to be painted up as a Veteran Sergeant. Let the PAINTING COMMENCE!!!! :cool.: :drool:

gallery_177745_15864_121199.jpg

looks good, might want to work on that thigh/knee a bit more before painting though.

Definitley, the putty got a little scratched so it looks kind of messy, its been smoothed out now.

Go into your album, open up the picture you want to link to, right-click the picture and select "Direct link to this image file" in the small pop-up window, copy the URL and paste it in the "Image" box in your post. :smile.:

Thank you! Knew I was missing a huge step :sweat: :biggrin.: