Blood Angels Project - Rogue Trader (1989) - 16Dec19

Legiocustodes

After the fun that I had with my test model last week I decided to take the plunge and paint up a full squad of 1989 era Terminators for use in the classic first edition of Space Hulk.

Ov93XhS.jpg

As per the test model I stuck with the bright red heraldry of the noble Blood Angels chapter of the Adeptus Astartes!

As these fellas appeared on the front cover of the Space Hulk box and both versions of the Space Crusade box art I felt they were the poster boys of the period (before the Ultramarines took over!)

MB2kfho.jpg

I stuck as closely as I could to the colours and iconography shown in the available art work of the period that I consistently used as reference material.

This included painstakingly painting hazard stripes on all of the Power Fists Gloves and the Heavy Flamer.

Additionally I sourced a set of the original 1989 Blood Angels decal sheets to apply the Chapter badge to each of the marines shoulder pads.

nlJIxnp.jpg

Load-out wise I stuck with the basic armaments for a Space Hulk Terminator Squad. This consists of a sergeant with a Storm Bolter and Power Sword, three marines with Storm Bolters and Power Gloves and a heavy weapon marine equipped with a Heavy Flamer and Power Glove.

T3rUMeE.jpg

In order to pay homage to their era of origin and to distinguish the bright red of their Tactical Dreadnought Armour I painted their bases in the traditional Goblin Green!! Ahhhhh .... Nostalgia!

f8MmxQU.jpg

I really, really enjoyed painting these models!

1fzyl7P.jpg

They just have such great detail to them and are absolutely bursting with character! Also there is something satisfying about the weight of having a metal model in your hand when painting!!

Now that I’m in the swing of retro painting I have already sourced a second Terminator Squad from eBay that I need to start working on!!

There’s more hobby related activity on my blog at:

http://classicastartes.blogspot.com/2019/11/blog-post.html?m=1

Edited by Legiocustodes

It's surprising how many space hulks had lovely grassy interiors (Don't worry, mine did, too!). I really like these guys. The new Mephiston teaser has given me a Blood Angels nostalgia trip. 

Lovely to see such venerable models given a modern and fancy (except the bases of course!) paint scheme :wub: Excellent work! You got any more old models loafing around you could paint up? ;)

Cheers guys!! Check my latest post... I’ve done a whole Genestealer Cult!

• 3 weeks later...

These are great!  I have a bit of oldhammer stuff that I always consider starting up as a project, and seeing work like this always makes it more tempting!  I also lucked into one of those old Blood Angels transfer sheets and I'm still considering what to use them for. 

• 2 weeks later...