Kalidar Crusade

Crusader7

With PA2 on the horizon and the holidays coming up, ive doubled my efforts to get my crusade built and painted so I can justify buying more miniat... *ahem* i mean play games of 40k with a fully painted army...

Anyways, heres some shots.

cqzwBc0.jpg

XCjTuXq.jpg

tllO7Xo.jpg

I've taken the liberty of uploading only a few of the handful of actually painted minis... Its apparent I'm going to have to cut some corners if I want to finish the army sometime this century though. I did pickup some etched brass so I wont need to freehand the shoulder insignia anymore. Additionally on most of the foot soldiers I've decided to go with a simplified edge highlighting scheme. Coming from 4 shades of grey to 2 made edge highlighting a bit chunkier, but less time consuming.

Looking good so far!

I have a weak Spot for huge eviscerators. And the last guy has a great pose, just calmly capping some dude

Some I hope helpful criticism: I wouldnt do Red Plasma glow on Red gun Casings. In my opinion the Plasma is a good opportunity to kind of 'soften up' the paint Job. I went for the classic blue with mine. If you do Red Castings green, as a contrast to Red, might work well.

I am excited to see more.

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

Welcome Brother!

These are beautiful.

I’m a huge fan of clean paint jobs like this. Mainly because it is how I would like to paint myself if I had the patience and skill.

Your edge highlighting is next level, all three are awesome, but the subtle scratching and edges on the plasma marine in particularly are very well done.

Also very keen to see more of your Crusade.

Candle on the backpack is a great touch. I just bought some for that exact same purpose so hopefully they look as good as yours!!

I ´ve seen a tutorial about green stuff to build some candles. Just like those.

@Crusader7 - bitz or greenstuff?

Edited by Medjugorje

Looking good so far!

I have a weak Spot for huge eviscerators. And the last guy has a great pose, just calmly capping some dude

Some I hope helpful criticism: I wouldnt do Red Plasma glow on Red gun Casings. In my opinion the Plasma is a good opportunity to kind of 'soften up' the paint Job. I went for the classic blue with mine. If you do Red Castings green, as a contrast to Red, might work well.

I am excited to see more.

I was in the same boat of being a bit hesitant to go for the orange-red plasma with red gun casings. I completed a primaris castellan as well with a blue power sword I ended up not liking how "busy" he looked with red, blue, white, black and gold. I went for orange plasma to keep the color scheme a bit more cohesive but I agree I lose out on an opportunity to catch the eye.

Candle on the backpack is a great touch. I just bought some for that exact same purpose so hopefully they look as good as yours!!

I ´ve seen a tutorial about green stuff to build some candles. Just like those.

@Crusader7 - bitz or greenstuff?

Just ABS(plasticard) tube and greenstuff. I saw some great 3rd party candle bits, but couldn't justify international shipping + the pricetag for some candles.

Thanks for all the complements and input! It's definitely motivating me to keep at it and get everything looking sharp.

Now for some conversions straight from the local Forge World/Gene-Lab.

First up, a Chaplain Dreadnought based off of the redemptor kit. Looks much more menacing then a old-marine Dreadnought, so why not make him even more templar-y. Inspired by the Blood Ravens Chaplain dread from scriv.paints on Instagram. 

LmsC1RH.png

Next, some GS work on tabards. Still trying to find a way to get these done efficiently. My current method involves using a chunk of sculpey between the legs to hold the GS in place during sculpting, but leaves a clay residue that's hard to clean off. Anyone know how to quickly clean off polymer clay? 

GwNrTmF.png

Some Suppressor are also being added to the crusade. Spent some time fixing those horridly fragile bases.

1Eq8Q10.jpg

Last I'm working on some cenobyte servitors. Still needs lots of work, but just a basic mock up using bluetac

bluetac

R2gTP5Y.jpg

Gene Lab / Forgeworld... do you have a link? I love this angel wings.

Actually the angel wings for the Chaplain dread are from Astorath the Grim. With a little trimming and feather resculpting, they fit very well in place of the armor panels. As for the rest of Astorath, his free shoulderpad became the skull in the sarcophagus. I have the rest of him lying around waiting for purpose...

You could also try a pair of wings from the sanguinary guard kit as well, but it might be a little trickier to work with. Also the wings will not reach as far down as astoraths.

The rest of the conversions were done with greenstuff, plasticard and hobby chain.

• 4 weeks later...

Not much work on my Templars due to final exam szn, but lots of new grey plastic due to holiday sales szn... 1 more week and I'll be free to really get to work on getting the army put together and painted! In the mean time, here is a WIP picture of the one model I allowed myself to work on in between work and classes. Chaplain Torismund, of the Kalidar Crusade.

Some clean up still needs to happen, so no worries about that ugly line on the helmet. It wont be there for long!

vV5L5eJ.jpg

Edited by Crusader7

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on the crusade. Lots of building to catch up on. A couple things I'm trying to tackle first! This week I was able to put together 10 Incursors and start building the Land Raider Achilles. Super excited to get them on the tabletop, especially the Achilles even if it is a PITA to build. The Incursor squad got a much needed head swap. I can't stand the visor-forehead guys so I gave them all bare heads instead. 

Piff2EJ.jpg

Next is the refurbish a slew of models I got second hand for  good deal, including...

• 3 Agressors
  • 10 Hellblasters
  • Company Ancient
  • 2 Primaris Lts
  • Sicarian Punisher Assault Tank

These were painted up as Ultramarines so into the IPA they went. The Sicarian on the other hand had traded owners multiple times and had a few coats of paint on it. It was looking pretty rough as the original owner basically did not clean up before building and painting. Wish I had a pic of it when I picked it up to show.

First thing I did was throw it in the freezer for half an hour to weaken the superglue holding it together. This needed to be a full rebuild for sure. Luckily, everything came apart easily, though I did manage to get a nice gash in my finger when I got a little too gung-ho about prying off chunks of superglue. Speaking of superglue, it became apparent at this stage that the builder had seemingly dunked the model in the stuff and it wasn't paint that was clogging some detail around joints. :ermm:

Instead of soaking resin in the IPA, I put it through some short controlled baths between scrubs with a brush to prevent any softening of the resin. MAKE SURE TO TEST BEFORE YOU USE IPA ON RESIN, however short exposure shouldn't cause too many issues. Whatever you do, don't let the resin soak. A few hours later of scrubbing and chiseling at super glue I ended up with a respectable Sicarian. I definitely overpaid for this one given the amount of work I had to put into it but I enjoyed the process so no fret. The owner I bought it from was just as clueless about the superglue coating as I was.

9Y25puT.jpg

The rest of the models just soaked for a few hours in IPA which did an okay job of taking off the paint.

YWlzDDr.jpg

d5r7QBp.jpg

The cleanup is looking good!

Forgive me for being thick, but, IPA?

Isopropyl alcohol. It's a toxic chemical that is great at stripping paint. You usually have to thin it down. Definitely need gloves with the stuff, because it can be potentially lethal if it gets into your bloodstream in sufficient quantities. Edited by Marshal Laeroth

• 1 month later...

More progress over the past few months! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to focus as much on the Templars as I would have liked. I picked up a filthy Eldar army over the holidays to participate in an escalation league, so they have taken a large amount of my hobbying time. I decided to paint these guys in a different style to speed up the paint job. Highlighting every edge of the black power armor with enough layers to keep it looking good was mind-numbing and not very time efficient for basic troopers. This new style allows me to get the army on the tabletop and looking good without edge highlights, afterwards I can go back on my own time and touch up wach model with highlights as I see fit. I think they also are a bit more "grimdark" then my previous models.

I did manage to get about 30 models primed and basecoated this weekend. Hooray for batch painting.

nAZrGj3.jpeg

And some individual models I have been able to work on from the group.

J9MrQHD.jpeg

Lx9xX5p.jpeg

ubHvXZt.jpeg