Kalidar Crusade

Crusader7

It's fairly simple, but you do need an airbrush. Starting from a black basecoat, highlight areas where light would catch with a midtone grey. I then go ahead an paint most of the other major colors in by hand afterward like the joints and the bolter. After that, wash the whole model with Nuln Oil being care to not let it pool and working one panel at a time.

The idea is to bring the grey back down to a dark grey to give the armor definition without edge highlighting. I opted to come back with a light grey and drop in some edge highlights where I saw fit to really make him pop. You can also add scratches and other battle damage. Lastly, I think this style of painting really benefits from pigments and other weathering techniques. I used both Umber and Dark Red weathering pigments. Concentrate around the feet, but you can think it down heavily and add it in spots all over the miniature. This gives you some subtle color variations and the appearance of dirt/grime. You can also use some thinned typhus corrosion on select areas.

For the white pauldrons just work your way up to Corax White, then shade with Agrax Earthshade and a small bit of Typhus Corrosion in the corners.