Building the XVIII Legion

SickSix

So I am all in now on my Heresy era Salamanders. Their first variation is probably going to be a Drop Assualt list as I have 5 plastic drop pods that will never be used in 40k now.

So what I have:

30x MkIV Tacticals (assembled)

10x MkIII flamer support (assembly in progress)

5x MkIII melts support (unbuilt)

10x MkIII breaches (assembly in progress)

5x Tartaros w/ lightning claws (assembled)

5x Cataphractii w/ heavy flamer (assembled)

5x Fire Drakes (unbuilt)

5x Pyroclasts (unbuilt)

1x Chaplian (built)

1x PA Praetor (built)

1x Terminator Praetor (built)

2x Contemptor Dreads (unbuilt)

5x drop pods (3 built)

The current plan is 20-30 Tacticals in pods, flamer/melts support in pods, Breachers in a dreadclaw, Dreads in dread pods, and Firedrakes in a Kharybdis.

I acquired more MkIII plastics and would like to build some heavy support guys with Multi-Melta and or Heavy Flamers as well. Are heavy weapon squads effective at 5 men or do you need 10 (seems expensive).

Also I really love the Caestus Ram. Would that me any less or more effective than a Kharybdis?

I understand I don't get the special rules with a generic Row but this list requires the fewest vehicle purchases I think right now. Later on I will work on getting tanks for a Covenant of Fire list.

What do you think?

Very flavorful Isstvan list if thats what you're angling for.

Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking. I don't like heavy weathering. So I was imagining these boys just dropping down on Isstvan V and marching towards their traitorous brothers. Was planning on fairly clean armor (some chipping) and muddy looking bases.

I also really liked the idea of orbital Assualt with space marines back in 5th edition. Now it's basically dead in 40k. So I do kinda want to play that way in 30k.

I think that you start out building/painting a smaller Zone Mortalis force at around 1000p. For example

Build and paint a Warmonger or any Generic character, for this I recommend you to check out the following very cool bits:

Build and paint your Firedrakes, they will be quite useful to deep strike in in order to reduce the effect of their reduced mobility

Build and heavy flamers, they are quite good in ZM (can shoot and assault/move and template weapons get buffs in ZM)

Build and paint tacticals, you'll need some troops choices too in the longer run. In ZM you can play with just one lites and one troops choice.

Yeah I am already heavily invested in bits from Spellcrow and PopGoesThemonkey.com.

1033419_sm-30k%2C%20Heresy%2C%20Salamand

With the new ZM rules drop I am sure that's what my first game will be once I get stuff painted. I think you have helped me decide on doing a 5 man Heavy Flamer squad. They would be really good in ZM.

• 3 months later...