Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hydra vs Deathguard 1k

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

jbaeza94

jbaeza94

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,363 posts
I have a game coming up Friday vs a Deathguard player. Never played with him, dont know what hes bringing.

I have the following battalion list

Hq:
Flyrant with slimer maggot infestation (hydra relic), monstrous scything talons, and the horror
Broodlord with catalyst

Troops:
20 genestealers, rending claws, 5 flesh hooks, 5 acid maws
30 hormigaunts, adrenal glands
30 termagants, fleshboarers

Heavy:
Carnifex with 2x twin devourers, enhanced senses, spore cysts
OR
Mawloc with toxin sacs and toxin spikes

Overall strategy:
Genestealers/ broodlord rush towards the biggest threat with catalyst for an extra 5+++. Try to take advantage of swarming insects for rerolling failed hits and the 10+ model extra attack.

Flyrant in reserve and ready to attack where needed. 6 s7 AP-1 reroll failed wound shots seems ok as well

Termagants vs pox walkers and objectives
Hormigaunts for objectives and shooters. Again, trying to take advantage of rerolling hits and wounds

Mawloc would do what mawlocs do in the deathguard backfield
Alternatively, the dakafex will target armor and pox walker spam. 24 s6 at bs3 and a built in cover save seems ok.

Thoughts? Is max squads the way to go?
Alternative units I can swap out are tervigons, all tyranofex loadouts, warriors, swarmlord, any tyrant loadout, trygons, gargoyles, more termagants and more genestealers
  • IronDreddKnight likes this

"Honor the Legion" - Warcry and Motto of the Legion of the Iron Lions.
k0EYErV.pnggallery_26154_15777_7413.png

IronDreddKnight

IronDreddKnight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 202 posts
This is probably too late and you’ve already played your match against death guard. How did you get on?

But changes I would recommend for future battles would be..

Monstrous rending claws are widely preferred over scything talons on flyrants because they’re free and re roll failed wounds. At a cost of D3 damage, but meh, they’re free.

Dropping the adrenal glands on the hormies. T3 6+ save will die very quickly to light weaponry, don’t invest more points than you need to.

Drop the flesh hooks on the genestelaers, they won’t need them with the amount of attacks they put out.

I’d go with kraken instead of hydra, the extra speed form kraken will compensate for the loss of adrenal glands. This also unlocks chameleonic mutation relic which is very powerful on a flyrant. Give him the horror psychic power and she’s now -2 to be hit against 1 key enemy unit. (See those centurions targeting your flyrant? They’re not so scary now.)

Id stick with the carnifex over the mawloc. Consider spore cysts, monstrous acid maw and x2 twin devs. You drop back to BS4+ but you gain some melee potential, which you may well need with only 18” range.

Edited by IronDreddKnight, 26 November 2019 - 11:11 PM.

jbaeza94

jbaeza94

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,363 posts
My list changed quite a bit actually. I'll put it on the bottom. I did end up losing by 2 points, but it wasn't due to my list I think, I just had bad luck with objective cards.

The key player in the game was the trygon prime I brought with a devil bomb. The turn it arrived, i cleared 2 objectives from pox walkers and a tally man with shooting, and was able to make a 9 inch charge into typhus, killing him that turn. Next turn it took out 3 deathshroud terminators. Thank you ymgarl factor
My hormis didn't do much, they got hit pretty hard by a blight drone. I had a dakka tyrant with relic deathspitter and venom cannon which killed the blight drone, but other than that, it did nothing. I should have added a melee weapon.

Tyranid prime was useful, and even went toe to toe with that flame thrower character.

My list in the end:

Selections: Heavy Venom Cannon, Power: Catalyst, The Horror, Slimer Maggot Infestation, Two Deathspitters with Slimer Maggots, Warlord, Warlord Trait: Endless Regeneration, Wings

Tyranid Prime [6 PL, 81pts]
Selections: Boneswords, Deathspitter, Toxin Sacs

Troops
Hormagaunts [9 PL, 150pts]
Selections: 30x Hormagaunt

Termagants [9 PL, 120pts]
30x Termagant (Fleshborer)
Termagants [9 PL, 240pts]
30x Termagant (Devourer)
Selections: 30x Devourer

Heavy Support
Trygon Prime [10 PL, 187pts]
Selections: 3x Massive Scything Talons, The Ymgarl Factor, Toxin Sacs, Toxinspike

Edited by jbaeza94, 27 November 2019 - 01:02 PM.

• IronDreddKnight and Spacecow like this

IronDreddKnight

IronDreddKnight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 202 posts
The devilgant bomb is real! Especially with single minded annihilation, the only issue I have is trying to make charge with the trygon. You did very well to make the 9”. I would always take adrenal glands to make an 8” charge, but even then it’s not reliable enough. Glorious when you pull it off though! Even more so when she goes on to kill Typhus, love that!

jbaeza94

jbaeza94

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,363 posts
Yeah, it was very lucky but it turned out well! I wasnt worried about his overwatch, and luckily no hits! I will consider adrenal glands from now on though! I was really pleased with how it performed, more so than the mawloc
  • IronDreddKnight likes this

IronDreddKnight

IronDreddKnight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 202 posts
Mawlocs haven’t apealed to me, we have other methods of mortal wounds, which can be used turn 1 and won’t be left a sitting duck when it arrives. Shame because the model is fantastic, like so many other monstrous creatures we have *sigh*
  • jbaeza94 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users