Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Question regarding Auspex Scan

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

Slasher956

Slasher956

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,398 posts
  • Faction: OoOML, Ulthwé
Let’s just kill the thread here...as the use of English differes between regions let alone countries (fwiw where I live after is that last thing not anything previous to that)

So a reality check..GWs rules writers are no where near the tightest writers...so a strict literal RAW doesn’t work ...Although to be fair to them if the rules where written that tightly the MRB would be over 100 pages of rules before you star looking at US English.....I mean look at the WM rule book....

Dyspraxic & Dyslexic  - So I might not write/explain what I think I have as clearly as intended to.... 

dode74

dode74

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 76 posts

(fwiw where I live after is that last thing not anything previous to that)

It's after all those things. It's *immediately* after that last thing. After means "in the time following an event" and that, and indeed this, is included in that definition.  So is this.  And this next bit, too.

So a reality check..GWs rules writers are no where near the tightest writers...so a strict literal RAW doesn’t work

There we are in agreement. I think they could be far, far tighter though. I am told MTG has a very tight ruleset (although I have not played it myself), and I know of other games which are very tight.  Some simple things like appropriate use of USRs (what keywords *could* have been) would go a long way towards it, for example.

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,802 posts
  • Faction: Blood Ravens

I'm going to disagree on the Auspex Scan answer. Here's the text:

Use this Stratagem after your opponent sets up a unit on the
battlefield within 12" of any ADEPTUS ASTARTES INFANTRY
units from your army. Select one of those units from your
army to shoot at that enemy unit as if it were your Shooting
phase; when resolving these attacks, subtract 1 from hit rolls.

Note that it does not state "immediately after". This suggests you can wait until all units are set up then choose to use the strat, selecting as a target any qualifying unit, i.e. any unit which is set up on the battlefield within 12" of an ADEPTUS ASTARTES INFANTRY unit.
Unfortunately, this isn't correct. The last line of the stratagem refers to "that enemy unit", which in this context can only be the last unit that was set up before you used the stratagem.
  • sfPanzer likes this
Active Projects: The Great Repaintening! - follow along on my journey to repaint a Blood Ravens army. | Adeptus Titanicis: Legio Metalica - a slow-grow plog of tiny titans and tinier knights.
Finished Projects: Brother Casman's Waaagh! - All of my Orks... for now. | Brother Casman's Terrain Extravaganza! - Getting the "Third Army" on the battlefield

In the operations of war, [...] the expenditure at home and at the front, including entertainment of guests, small items such as glue and paint, and sums spent on chariots and armor, will reach the total of a thousand ounces of silver per day. Such is the cost of raising an army ...

dode74

dode74

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 76 posts

Unfortunately, this isn't correct. The last line of the stratagem refers to "that enemy unit", which in this context can only be the last unit that was set up before you used the stratagem.

While it does refer to "that enemy unit", the unit in question can be *any* unit which the strat is being used after since the limitation on use is "Use this Stratagem after your opponent sets up a unit on the battlefield...".  If you set up a unit on the battlefield and I use the strat then I am using the strat after it has been set up regardless of what has happened between - "after" means "in the time following an event" and does not limit that period, whereas "immediately after" would.  I can therefore use the strat on "that enemy unit" and still be using it after it is set up.  So if you set up units A, B and C at the end of your movement phase and I say "I am using Auspex Scan" then I am using it after you've set up *each* of A, B and C, making any of those a valid target.

dode74

dode74

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 76 posts

FWIW, the wording has changed between the last codex (which did include "immediately", as do most other similar strats/abilities) and this one (which does not).  Perhaps this is a case of "that's how I've always played it"?  Or perhaps it's a mistake.  Either way, it says what it says atm.

Edited by dode74, 08 November 2019 - 11:55 PM.

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,951 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

As you can see you are very alone with your interpretation and I really don't think that it's leading to anywhere.

• Dam13n likes this

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Dam13n

Dam13n

++ CÆLATOR ALTRICES ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,391 posts
  • Faction: The Scions
This is done.

Propagating/continuing a circular argument is against the rules of the OR. In future if you are about to post something that is just you repeating something you've already said in the thread, or just reiterating that you're right and someone/everyone else is wrong, just don't.

This will be the result.

gallery_26_548_17394.gif

Edited by Dam13n, 09 November 2019 - 01:03 PM.

• sfPanzer and Slasher956 like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users