Question regarding Auspex Scan

Thee85

Let’s just kill the thread here...as the use of English differes between regions let alone countries (fwiw where I live after is that last thing not anything previous to that)

So a reality check..GWs rules writers are no where near the tightest writers...so a strict literal RAW doesn’t work ...Although to be fair to them if the rules where written that tightly the MRB would be over 100 pages of rules before you star looking at US English.....I mean look at the WM rule book....

(fwiw where I live after is that last thing not anything previous to that)

It's after all those things. It's *immediately* after that last thing. After means "in the time following an event" and that, and indeed this, is included in that definition.  So is this.  And this next bit, too.

So a reality check..GWs rules writers are no where near the tightest writers...so a strict literal RAW doesn’t work

There we are in agreement. I think they could be far, far tighter though. I am told MTG has a very tight ruleset (although I have not played it myself), and I know of other games which are very tight.  Some simple things like appropriate use of USRs (what keywords *could* have been) would go a long way towards it, for example.

I'm going to disagree on the Auspex Scan answer. Here's the text:

Use this Stratagem after your opponent sets up a unit on the

battlefield within 12" of any ADEPTUS ASTARTES INFANTRY

units from your army. Select one of those units from your

army to shoot at that enemy unit as if it were your Shooting

phase; when resolving these attacks, subtract 1 from hit rolls.

Note that it does not state "immediately after". This suggests you can wait until all units are set up then choose to use the strat, selecting as a target any qualifying unit, i.e. any unit which is set up on the battlefield within 12" of an ADEPTUS ASTARTES INFANTRY unit.

Unfortunately, this isn't correct. The last line of the stratagem refers to "that enemy unit", which in this context can only be the last unit that was set up before you used the stratagem.

Unfortunately, this isn't correct. The last line of the stratagem refers to "that enemy unit", which in this context can only be the last unit that was set up before you used the stratagem.

While it does refer to "that enemy unit", the unit in question can be *any* unit which the strat is being used after since the limitation on use is "Use this Stratagem after your opponent sets up a unit on the battlefield...".  If you set up a unit on the battlefield and I use the strat then I am using the strat after it has been set up regardless of what has happened between - "after" means "in the time following an event" and does not limit that period, whereas "immediately after" would.  I can therefore use the strat on "that enemy unit" and still be using it after it is set up.  So if you set up units A, B and C at the end of your movement phase and I say "I am using Auspex Scan" then I am using it after you've set up *each* of A, B and C, making any of those a valid target.

FWIW, the wording has changed between the last codex (which did include "immediately", as do most other similar strats/abilities) and this one (which does not).  Perhaps this is a case of "that's how I've always played it"?  Or perhaps it's a mistake.  Either way, it says what it says atm.

Edited by dode74

This is done.

Propagating/continuing a circular argument is against the rules of the OR. In future if you are about to post something that is just you repeating something you've already said in the thread, or just reiterating that you're right and someone/everyone else is wrong, just don't.

This will be the result.

gallery_26_548_17394.gif

Edited by Dam13n