2019/2020 B&C Dice Poll #4

Brother Tyler

"6" Face Design  

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Since these are B&C dice, we're going with a generic skull design for the Legio, rather than a design that might work for a specific faction/sub-faction. Yes, the Legio is the mascot [space Marine] Chapter of the site, but the skull itself is rather generic. Note that I've re-drawn the skull for use at varying sizes.

Note that all we're voting on is the basic arrangement of the skull (with or without circle/bones). We're not voting on an outline/silhouette concept (we'll vote on that next), nor are we voting on additional decorations (that will happen after the outline/silhouette poll).

Here are some examples to demonstrate the basic choices.

Skull only:

sml_gallery_26_6764_4585.png

Skull and crossed bones:

sml_gallery_26_6764_30324.png

(This is a re-imagining of our old logo)

Skull in circle with bones:

sml_gallery_26_6764_3874.png

(This is our current logo)

Once we figure out which of those three concepts we'll be using, we'll explore other aspects. These will include whether or not to have an outline or a silhouette, as well as whether or not to incorporate other design elements.

Strictly as an example, the skull design might have either an outline or silhouette concept:

sml_gallery_26_6764_1594.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifsml_gallery_26_6764_4585.png

Additionally, we might decide to incorporate other design elements such as a crux terminatus or shield (or whatever):

sml_gallery_26_6764_1416.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifsml_gallery_26_6764_26907.png

Interested members might check out this insignium if you want to start working on ideas.

Also note that the images shown above are only concepts. There might be some changes to them as I work through the design process with the manufacturer. For example, the servitude studs might have to move, or be enlarged, or be removed altogether. Similarly, we might include the "B" at the top of the X and the "C" at the bottom of the X (assuming we can make them of suitable size to work with the manufacturer's process).

We'll discuss that stuff later.

For now, all we're voting on/discussing is the skull/skull and crossed bones/skull in circle with bones options.

Wooooooo!!!! I want more BnC paraphernalia! Is the lanyard still something beind discussed or did that fall short of the necessary order? Can't wait for these dice! Going to order 10 of what ever design they end up being! 

Well, being really honest, I've been wondering how the polls have been breaking down, to see if there's any trends.

First thing I noticed - participation in the polls has been really small - 73 votes in the first poll, and then only mid-50s for polls two and three - I'm not sure if that will even get us to dice levels where they will be "worth it" for most people to purchase them.

Also noticed that in the first poll, 20 or 21 folks voted for plain pips, and 13 had voted for numbers, but in the orientation vote, 15 people said that if we didn't get dice in the orientation they voted for, they wouldn't buy. So we have a decent projection that approximately 27% of those voting may end up not buying dice if they don't like the results.

So considering the decrease and that projection, based on current votes, only about 40 people are actively interested in dice regardless of the outcome.

Granted, our current sample size doesn't reflect the greater board population in a significant way.

Well, being really honest, I've been wondering how the polls have been breaking down, to see if there's any trends.

First thing I noticed - participation in the polls has been really small - 73 votes in the first poll, and then only mid-50s for polls two and three - I'm not sure if that will even get us to dice levels where they will be "worth it" for most people to purchase them.

Also noticed that in the first poll, 20 or 21 folks voted for plain pips, and 13 had voted for numbers, but in the orientation vote, 15 people said that if we didn't get dice in the orientation they voted for, they wouldn't buy. So we have a decent projection that approximately 27% of those voting may end up not buying dice if they don't like the results.

So considering the decrease and that projection, based on current votes, only about 40 people are actively interested in dice regardless of the outcome.

Granted, our current sample size doesn't reflect the greater board population in a significant way.

I have completely missed one of the polls. I bet many people have no idea that it is in process. The front page should have a big sign "DICE POLL RUNNING". I would like to make a suggestion to re-run the poll and make it obvious to everyone who enters the website, that this is a thing.

The amount of participants is quite low, and I don't think that it is because people don't care, since even if you don't care, you usually will take part in the poll anyway.

Edited by Klod

This particular question is really hard to answer for me. You see, I much prefer the skull in circle with bones IF that is going to be the only decoration on the face. If however we do decide to add the crux terminatus or similar then I definitely think the lone skull would look better.

Decisions, decisions... :/

I have completely missed one of the polls. I bet many people have no idea that it is in process. The front page should have a big sign "DICE POLL RUNNING". I would like to make a suggestion to re-run the poll and make it obvious to everyone who enters the website, that this is a thing.

The amount of participants is quite low, and I don't think that it is because people don't care, since even if you don't care, you usually will take part in the poll anyway.

While I think that's a pretty good idea, it's up to Brother Tyler, he's the one coordinating all of this. He will probably read this thread, but you may want to consider PMing him with the suggestions and concerns - realize he may have his own reasons for not doing so or not going back to previous polls and he's a busy guy.

There is now a brief announcement that appears at the top of each forum. In addition, there is a full announcement in the News, Rumors, and Board Announcements forum; and that announcement will include the polls and their outcomes.

Still chance for these to look good, final product is always a different story from concepts. Personally I am one of the people who currently sits now in 2 camps of defeat for their preference (again, it is a poll and thus majority wins and that's fair and fine). I have participated in all polls so far and interested in seeing the end result, maybe final design will still enamour me as it might for some.

I will clarify I did vote no for buying if my preferred design doesn't win only because that is under the idea the final design isn't to my liking which even if results I vote for don't make it, I could still enjoy the final design regardless. Lets keep minds (and wallets ;)) open.

I think it's safe to say that once all is said and done, the majority of us will have voted for something that the majority has disagreed with. I can say that I've been surprised by some of the poll outcomes, and that things I would have voted for haven't necessarily won polls. And that's okay - it's a basic aspect of the democratization of the design process this time around. No matter the outcome, they'll look "good" (which is purely subjective anyways).

Past B&C dice designs were developed with the input of a much smaller pool of people (sometimes just a handful of people, sometimes among the mods and admins). All we're doing this time around is establishing the basic B&C dice, and for that I wanted the whole community to chime in. The dice with this design will be sold periodically. In any group of people, there are going to be dissenting opinions, so it's inevitable that we'll have different ideas about what we'd like in our dice. In addition to making this design available in future years, we'll have B&C dice with other designs (I'll probably alternate years - standard, special 1, standard, special 2, etc.).

At the end of the day, members will have custom B&C dice that they can throw on the table. Anything different from standard dice and those that GW produces has a way of sparking conversation. And hopefully they roll lots of sixes. :wink: