Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Old SW art hints to new models?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Jarl Caldersson

Jarl Caldersson

++ OCCISOR CANUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,529 posts
  • Faction: Allfathers Einherjar, DG
Seeing as the new primaris and primaris characters models, and even SoB models, are using old art for the basis. I do not have any old art, however I know some of you grey beard do. So if you can post any old art, it may give us hints to what models we may get.

Edited by Jarl Caldersson, 08 November 2019 - 04:42 AM.

• Triszin likes this
sml_gallery_69091_12729_6611.jpggallery_4664_11830_1029.jpeg
If you want your army paint scheme made in Impcat just send me a message.

Lord Ranulf

Lord Ranulf

++ EQUESTER CANEO ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,825 posts

Well, if we're going to go for a trip down memory lane, we might as well start at the beginning:

Leman Russ. (Rogue Trader Rulebook, 1987, p27)

vZbjA1n.jpg

Logan Grimnar. (2nd Edition Space Wolves Codex, 1994, p47)

XF1a4qv.jpg

Bjorn the Fell-handed. (2nd Edition Space Wolves Codex, 1994, p69)

XRi6V43.jpg

Ragnar Blackmane. (2nd Edition Space Wolves Codex, 1994, p63) 

yd0CQFe.jpg

Ulrik the Slayer. (2nd Edition Space Wolves Codex, 1994, p62)

Wec8GCS.jpg

Njal Stormcaller. (2nd Edition Space Wolves Codex, 1994, p64)

nGp7S8p.jpg

-Ran

• Wolf Lord Duregar, Huggtand, Kierdale and 4 others like this

gallery_48988_15465_712.png ZIbfbQY.jpg L_T_4_2019_Medal.gif

Ryltar Thamior

Ryltar Thamior

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 587 posts

Might be worth taking a look at some of the relatively more recent stuff from the 3rd ed codex, as well, and for that matter the subsequent Eye of Terror codex Wolf-related material. 

Vox Stellarum efforts:
The Unyielding Adamanticores [truescale Astartes, auxilia, and sectorial AdMech; M37/38]
The Haunting Harii of Hvergelmir [truescale Astartes ... and associates] 
The Unification Wars [truescale Thunder Warriors, (Proto-)Astartes, Army of Unification, Aegyptian-style Proto-Mechanicus raiders, etc.] 
Combat Archaeology [Tomb Raiding for Fun & Prophet] 
Horus Heresy [truescale loyalist IVth, VIIIth; Agents of the Sigillite; VIth; and so much more; and Umbral's amazing Traitors] 
The Worlds-Wide Webway [(Dark) Eldar, Imperial Inquisition, an a-maze-ing realmweave of fear and wondermeant]
Thorian Inquisition [some rather different Inquisitorial Storm Troopers, true-scale Fire Hawks, Black Dragon, Inquisitor and associates, etc.] 
For Whom The Great Bell Tolls Thrice [attempts to put the 'priest' back in 'tech-priest' with more-medieval mechanicus] 
InquisiNecronMunda [the log that incepted it all - at least two Inquisitors, truescale Deathwatch, local enforcers, cultists, etc.] 

Lord Ranulf

Lord Ranulf

++ EQUESTER CANEO ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,825 posts

The 3rd Edition 'Dex was pretty thin in terms of artwork, but it did feature Logan, Ragnar and Ulrik:

Logan Grimnar. (3rd Edition Space Wolves Codex, 2000, p26)

HNMVujo.jpg

Ragnar Blackmane. (3rd Edition Space Wolves Codex, 2000, p28)

xTajc5t.jpg

Ulrik the Slayer. (3rd Edition Space Wolves Codex, 2000, p29)

HQFJF0m.jpg

Codex: Eye of Terror didn't contain any new artwork regarding characters, just some rehashed general artwork from the 3rd ed Dex.

-Ran

• Wolf Lord Duregar and NightHowler like this

gallery_48988_15465_712.png ZIbfbQY.jpg L_T_4_2019_Medal.gif

ranulf the revenant

ranulf the revenant

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 282 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves

Ragnar Blackmane. (2nd Edition Space Wolves Codex, 1994, p63)

yd0CQFe.jpg

-Ran

I like how Ragnar is just randomly firing his bolt pistol into the sky like some pistolero jackass 😂
  • Lord Ranulf and NightHowler like this

Your friendly neighbourhood murder husky happy.png.

NightHowler

NightHowler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 880 posts
  • Faction: The Hand at the Gate

I like how Ragnar is just randomly firing his bolt pistol into the sky like some pistolero jackass 😂

Just outside the frame of the picture is an ork leaping over the fray with a big choppa’ but Ragnar knows he’s coming and doesn’t even have to look to shoot him out of the air. Instead he maintains eye-contact with the warboss to show dominance and holds up his frost sword so the warboss can see it’s bigger than his powerklaw.
  • HvitrValdyr, Karhedron, Ryltar Thamior and 1 other like this

"By the River fettered Fenrir will lie till draws nigh the doom of the Gods." - Frey, Lokasenna: 41

Ryltar Thamior

Ryltar Thamior

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 587 posts

Oh, I wasn't specifically thinking characters; or, for that matter, characters which actually have/had miniatures at the time. There's a rather excellent piece that I *think* was supposed to be Bran Redmaw - although it was a bit strange, because the insignia for the Marines around him was the Spirit Wolf. Also a few other pieces - which while I'm not sure they'd be likely to see models, were nevertheless really nice, like the wolf priest with the wolf-skin over his head and shoulders. Might have been some Wolf Scout art, too, now that I think about it. The 3rd Ed codex cover has also definitely played a role in conditioning what little we've seen of Primaris Wolf kits - the battle leader with the axe and boltrifle has a few design elements that are either direct lifts from it [like the diamond on the chest-plate], or more loosely inspired by same.

There were also an array of unit art pictures , which *looked* like they'd been re-cycled from the 2nd ed period. 

The EoT codex, I'm almost sure I remember Wulfen art being a thing - although as those have been re-done, both art-work and model wise, relatively recently, it's perhaps not of great probative value. [unless for some odd reason we got primaris wulfen - which, while it'd be a great way to go back towards the more armoured-marine-gone-savage aesthetic, rather than ... Hugh Jackman Meets Dr Moreau, would nevertheless both be incredibly unlikely and fluff questionable; although at the same time, there might be something in the aesthetic that could be used] I also suppose even if there *were* grey slayer art to be found, taht the aesthetic of a mish-mash of different armour mks and scavenged gear wouldn't be ideal for the shiny new Mk.X (further) (far) future we're presently in.

The Rune Priest that got done alongside that release, though, is an excellent miniature, with a nice pose, and quite solid 'wolfy' touches in both armament and other accouterments. I could easily see a Primaris style reinterpretation/update of that miniature being not only rather easy to do, but also well received. In fact, dangit, I'm now rather tempted to take a shot at doing just that ... 

Vox Stellarum efforts:
The Unyielding Adamanticores [truescale Astartes, auxilia, and sectorial AdMech; M37/38]
The Haunting Harii of Hvergelmir [truescale Astartes ... and associates] 
The Unification Wars [truescale Thunder Warriors, (Proto-)Astartes, Army of Unification, Aegyptian-style Proto-Mechanicus raiders, etc.] 
Combat Archaeology [Tomb Raiding for Fun & Prophet] 
Horus Heresy [truescale loyalist IVth, VIIIth; Agents of the Sigillite; VIth; and so much more; and Umbral's amazing Traitors] 
The Worlds-Wide Webway [(Dark) Eldar, Imperial Inquisition, an a-maze-ing realmweave of fear and wondermeant]
Thorian Inquisition [some rather different Inquisitorial Storm Troopers, true-scale Fire Hawks, Black Dragon, Inquisitor and associates, etc.] 
For Whom The Great Bell Tolls Thrice [attempts to put the 'priest' back in 'tech-priest' with more-medieval mechanicus] 
InquisiNecronMunda [the log that incepted it all - at least two Inquisitors, truescale Deathwatch, local enforcers, cultists, etc.] 

Triszin

Triszin

++ MODERATI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,123 posts
For space wolves I actually hope that use the newer art from 7th. It really is amazing.
banana

Wolf Lord Duregar

Wolf Lord Duregar

++ SECURIS VINCO ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,733 posts
  • Faction: VIth Legion. SWs, Orks..

I have a soft spot for the 2nd Ed artwork since that is when I started playing.. blush.png  But the 3rd Ed actually had some decent ones too.

Surely Ragnar will get a new model at some point? he must be the oldest model in the whole range by now? That is what I am most interest into seeing actually. A new, dynamic Ragnar, maybe as a Primaris, leaping at the Epmeror´s enemies..

I do like the old model however, even how static it is..

"Harden your soul against decadence. But do not despise it, for the soft appearance of the decadent may be deceptive. One need only consider the Harlequin dancers of the Eldar to see the truth of this proposition."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users