Old SW art hints to new models?

Jarl Caldersson

Seeing as the new primaris and primaris characters models, and even SoB models, are using old art for the basis. I do not have any old art, however I know some of you grey beard do. So if you can post any old art, it may give us hints to what models we may get. Edited by Jarl Caldersson

Well, if we're going to go for a trip down memory lane, we might as well start at the beginning:

Leman Russ. (Rogue Trader Rulebook, 1987, p27)

vZbjA1n.jpg

Logan Grimnar. (2nd Edition Space Wolves Codex, 1994, p47)

XF1a4qv.jpg

Bjorn the Fell-handed. (2nd Edition Space Wolves Codex, 1994, p69)

XRi6V43.jpg

Ragnar Blackmane. (2nd Edition Space Wolves Codex, 1994, p63) 

yd0CQFe.jpg

Ulrik the Slayer. (2nd Edition Space Wolves Codex, 1994, p62)

Wec8GCS.jpg

Njal Stormcaller. (2nd Edition Space Wolves Codex, 1994, p64)

nGp7S8p.jpg

-Ran

The 3rd Edition 'Dex was pretty thin in terms of artwork, but it did feature Logan, Ragnar and Ulrik:

Logan Grimnar. (3rd Edition Space Wolves Codex, 2000, p26)

HNMVujo.jpg

Ragnar Blackmane. (3rd Edition Space Wolves Codex, 2000, p28)

xTajc5t.jpg

Ulrik the Slayer. (3rd Edition Space Wolves Codex, 2000, p29)

HQFJF0m.jpg

Codex: Eye of Terror didn't contain any new artwork regarding characters, just some rehashed general artwork from the 3rd ed Dex.

-Ran

Oh, I wasn't specifically thinking characters; or, for that matter, characters which actually have/had miniatures at the time. There's a rather excellent piece that I *think* was supposed to be Bran Redmaw - although it was a bit strange, because the insignia for the Marines around him was the Spirit Wolf. Also a few other pieces - which while I'm not sure they'd be likely to see models, were nevertheless really nice, like the wolf priest with the wolf-skin over his head and shoulders. Might have been some Wolf Scout art, too, now that I think about it. The 3rd Ed codex cover has also definitely played a role in conditioning what little we've seen of Primaris Wolf kits - the battle leader with the axe and boltrifle has a few design elements that are either direct lifts from it [like the diamond on the chest-plate], or more loosely inspired by same.

There were also an array of unit art pictures , which *looked* like they'd been re-cycled from the 2nd ed period. 

The EoT codex, I'm almost sure I remember Wulfen art being a thing - although as those have been re-done, both art-work and model wise, relatively recently, it's perhaps not of great probative value. [unless for some odd reason we got primaris wulfen - which, while it'd be a great way to go back towards the more armoured-marine-gone-savage aesthetic, rather than ... Hugh Jackman Meets Dr Moreau, would nevertheless both be incredibly unlikely and fluff questionable; although at the same time, there might be something in the aesthetic that could be used] I also suppose even if there *were* grey slayer art to be found, taht the aesthetic of a mish-mash of different armour mks and scavenged gear wouldn't be ideal for the shiny new Mk.X (further) (far) future we're presently in.

The Rune Priest that got done alongside that release, though, is an excellent miniature, with a nice pose, and quite solid 'wolfy' touches in both armament and other accouterments. I could easily see a Primaris style reinterpretation/update of that miniature being not only rather easy to do, but also well received. In fact, dangit, I'm now rather tempted to take a shot at doing just that ... 

I have a soft spot for the 2nd Ed artwork since that is when I started playing.. :blush.:  But the 3rd Ed actually had some decent ones too.

Surely Ragnar will get a new model at some point? he must be the oldest model in the whole range by now? That is what I am most interest into seeing actually. A new, dynamic Ragnar, maybe as a Primaris, leaping at the Epmeror´s enemies..

I do like the old model however, even how static it is..