MekBoss Dread Klank's Waaagh

XIXWYRMEXIX

Hello fellow Boss's, long time ork player here. Just getting back into the game and wanted to start a thread to share a bit and have a build/paint thread/blog. Hoping it will keep me going on rebuilding my boyz and I definitely am hoping it to push me to do painting. ALOT of painting needs to be done. I have played off and on since 3rd edition yet never got around to painting my boyz for a few different reasons. Now I want my army all fully painted. Hoping a thread like this will keep me inspired and going. 

Most of my army needs a lot of rebuilding as well. I dropped out of the hobby because of medical reasons and my boyz got a bit messed up because of that. Because my army was started so long ago most of my troops are massively kit bashed from a lot of OOP bitz, which I think gives them some character, I have old fantasy, old ork troop kits from when they came in packs of 16, newer boyz, and assault on black reach orks (also kit bashed mildly). These are mostly ok build wise. 

I have always played them as Bad Moons, and so this is the painting scheme and klan I will be painting in. 

Currently my Waaagh consists of-

HQ

Big Mek with KFF (old MekBoss Dread Klank)

Big Mek that needs work

Ghazkull Thraka

Assault on Blackreach Warboss

a cut up Blackreach Warboss

a cut up OOP metal fantasy Boss

Kaptain Badruk

My new full codex boss (just started him, new MekBoss Dread Klank)

New Weird boy (just built him)

Troops

180 Ork Boyz, all having big shooter options, all having Nobs, 2 troops built as ard boyz

10 grots

Elites

50ish Nobs

3 Nobs in mega armor

2 runt herders

10 Burna boys with 1 spanner

15 tankbustas with Nob

Nob with Waaagh banner

Fast Attack

8 OOP stormboyz

Heavy Support

1 lobba with grot krew

3 dreadnaughts all with bigshooters

6 kans 3 with bigshooters, 3 with rokkits

6 lootas with a spanner

In addition to this I have 14 bikes in pieces, roughly another 30-35 unbuilt boyz, some old goblin regiment grots and tons of bitz. 

I also have played a ton of other armies and actually currently own 6 other armies (though I am getting rid of those). The Orks were my first 40k army though and are my main army. I will be posting and updating as I build and paint. Hopefully this thread will keep me going. 

Picture update- my newly built Weird Boy. Just wanted something functional that looked OK. I could have put a lot more work into him in regards to more bling but I wanted something quick to play with. I actually hate his finger and want to remake it, I think it looks terrible. But my greenstuff is 5 years old and hard to work with. Now that I have medical issues I no longer work so I am broke (so no new greenstuff right now). Still figuring out the forums so please forgive me if the pics do not come out. 

Weird Boy

Weird Boy

Weird Boy

Other than the finger I think he will work out. 

Here I am testing out skin tones using the new contrast system, never worked with the contrast paints before so I am still experimating.

Ork skin paint test

And just to show I actually CAN paint something here is an ork boy I painted ages ago. Once I get in practice I am sure I can do much better than this. 

Painted Ork

Painted Ork

Painted Ork

Painted Ork

Painted Ork

Last post for now... I will post more when I rebuild and paint. Thanks for looking.

Hello, and welcome to the Bolter and Chainsword! Those are some mighty nice gits you got there. I especially like the weirdboy, it's perfect! And while the finger does have that rough texture, I love the crone-ish bend and point to it. Like a witch, which is suitable for a weirdboy.

In fact, all your conversions are admirable. The cables on the KFF big mek, the little mech squig. I love it. And that painted ork looks stellar.

Again, welcome, and I can't wait to see more.

I don't know why but seeing metal and plastic Killa Kans and Deff Dredds mingling freely and sharing parts fills my heart with joy. But anyway, these are some cool conversions!

Thanks! Yeah I have older OOP models in my dread mobs as well as my boyz. One of those metal dreads is my first dread ever in the game, it is 20-21 years old. Even my new Warboss is filled with older nostalgia as some of his parts are from my very first warboss/conversion ever and they are also that old. I felt it appropriate to make those parts part of my new boss, a nod to the past in my newest endeavor of the game, full circle if you will. That first Boss was horrible hahaha, I converted him from an ogren because I couldn't find an actual boss model at the time, and I wanted a boss that was big. I didn't even have any Nobs then to try and upconvert, all the Nobs were metal. 

Hello, and welcome to the Bolter and Chainsword! Those are some mighty nice gits you got there. I especially like the weirdboy, it's perfect! And while the finger does have that rough texture, I love the crone-ish bend and point to it. Like a witch, which is suitable for a weirdboy.

In fact, all your conversions are admirable. The cables on the KFF big mek, the little mech squig. I love it. And that painted ork looks stellar.

Again, welcome, and I can't wait to see more.

Thanks toaae! I did not have a weirdboy before (they were not worth it in the previous editions in my opinion) however in 8th I see a need to have one. 8th seems to do a lot of character buffing, and with a dedicated psychic phase and with auto smite and anti psyker abilities seems worth it. I will probably build 2-3 more if they work out like I think they do/will. I suppose I dislike the finger because I tend to be a perfectionist and I know I can do better. I can sculpt it to look like an finger better than that. The older greenstuff is just harder to use.  I am glad though that you described it like that though because that is/was the theme and vibe I was trying to achieve. The aspect of him that I like is his exposed brain, I think it helps make him more weirdboy like.

I have to fix the KFF Big Mek, a few things got busted off. Like his wrench weapon. The painted ork is my ONLY painted ork hahahahaha. It is ridiculous I have played (and played as long as I have) but never painted them. It was a combination of factors that caused this terrible state of being. When a new codex or version of the game would come out GW would change what was optimal unit wise and point wise as well as changing the unit options themselves, add in different white dwarf codex/index stuff and the rules were shifting over time. So when something would change I would just break down my boyz and rebuild them. That's why they got so kitbashed. Over time all the pieces from all those different boyz kits got all mixed up. Also I began getting a lot of boyz, which when I would look at them would intimidate me when it came to painting. I do not have the largest ork army, but at 6 full troops plus another 50ish nobs it just looked like a lot to paint. But now I want them all painted permanently. Also time used to be a factor, I had a high tech job and was traveling a lot didn't have time to paint then. Now I have time. 

Thanks again and I will be making progress I will post more pics as I go.

• 4 weeks later...

So finally an update. Been busy sifting through parts and bitz, and stripping my other armies parts and bitz of paint. But I have not been totally idle on the boyz.

First off all my boyz that were base painted black and that were half painted are now taking a bath in stripper, stripping them of the black. I am going to base paint in white now because of the contrast paints (which I love so far). So they are all soaking. Probably around 70-80ish boyz being stripped.

Second off I have managed to finish my new MekBoss (warboss) DreadKlank. I am fairly happy with him, some things I wish I had done different, but then I am just getting back into modeling and my skills are all rusty. Getting back into the swing of things.

MekBoss DreadKlank

MekBoss DreadKlank

MekBoss DreadKlank

MekBoss DreadKlank

MekBoss DreadKlank

MekBoss DreadKlank

MekBoss DreadKlank

MekBoss DreadKlank

He is fully represented, wysiwyg, including his 2 sluggas. He is a Bad Moonz boss, so with dakka dakka and clan kulture he rerolls1's, always hits on 6's, rerolls 6's for extra attacks. He has the Bad Moonz warlord trait that gives him the 4+ invuln save. I have equipped him with da dead shiny shoota, ork shiny gubbinz, so he is assault 12, ap-1, str 4, 18" range. 67 points and 1 CP to field him. I am thinking of painting the shiny shoota bright gold and silver. I will not be painting him until I have more painting experience under my belt as I made him to be a centerpiece model so want him to look good. What do you think of my new boss?

• 3 months later...

Just an update of sorts... been busy with life, got really sick again for a while which knocked me out, been busy still sorting all my other armies. Also been slowly building up my paints again in preparation for painting my boyz. Did not have a large enough paint pallete until now. Picked up bad moonz yellow one of the few colors I still needed. All my previously black base coated boyz are out of the stripping bath and stripped down. Will be making repairs then finally base coat them white (within a couple days). Will post pics when I finally have a squad done. Now for the "bad" part of the update. Between Christmas and my bday (which was recent) I managed to ADD to my pile of gray shame. I received as gifts- da red gobbo, a squad of 10 grots to go with him and a battlewagon. Plus now with the new Ghazzy I will be buying him and/or whatever boxed set he comes with. 

As long as I do not get sick again, I should have some painted boyz within the week. 

Glad your getting well. No one wants to be miserable. Don't worry too much if your painting goes slow, it'll pick up. 
Best worse case scenario is you'll have mini's to pain during Da WAAAAGH! in May. (ETL) I'll be back for that this year from the look of things.
We've got a forum to thump after all. 

So, what's so bad about a few more models anyway? Just get them built and ready for paint! No pressure.

Another quick update-

So my boyz needed more work than I thought, been going over them since they came out of the paint stripping bath. Some arms came off, some heads, and I seem to have never taken off the flashing from them all. So I have gone over and redone and deflashed 29 slugga boyz and have base coated them. That mob is now ready to paint. Going to do this process for each complete mob. Going to begin painting today. Hopefully next post I make will have pics of finished boyz. I also went through EVERYTHING I have body wise. I have 37 nobs, 180 troops, and another 60+ extra bodies, not including my elites some of which need more bodies to complete units (I need another 4 bodies to complete my tankbustas, etc.). Some of the nobs will be going to complete units as well (6 to the troops, another couple weirdboyz, etc.). 

added thoughts on my current rebuild plan-

'ard boyz-

I have one unit of 'ard boyz, while in this current edition of the codex and game they are basically not worth it (if it was still a 4+ they would be worth it), I have had these guys since I started playing. They have done so much work for me over the years, I just love them. They are also literally the only unit I own I have never changed, they are fully original. I even have the original metal 'ard boyz kit spread amongst them. Originally I had 2 mobz of 20 as they were elites and had a squad limit of 20. Fast forward to now, I have another 20 'ard boy bodies and more jaws so I think I will build another mob of them. No, spending the CP is not worth it from an efficiency stand point. But I have tons of ork bodies, the actual armored ork 'ard boy bodies are difficult to come by now in mass, and they might be good again one day.  Plus I just really like the models. 

stormboyz-

As per some of my previous posts I have debated back and forth about stormboyz. I have 8 of the original metal stormboyz. I bought them very early on in the 3rd edition, used them once, had half of them die due to crashing and never used them again (in retrospect I was super new to the game and should have taken more. Eight just is not enough). I have decided to build a full mob of them. I will be building them in the original metal model style as opposed to the new models. I like the new models but want a more uniform look to the mob. I will be doing this after I get my troops redone, base coated, and a lot of them painted. AKA a future project.

Nobz-

I have 37 nob bodies. Six to seven will go to completing troop mobz. I need some for character units (need two more weirdboyz, a couple of painboyz, my waaagh banner nob). I should have enough left over for 2 squads of 10. I have no idea how I will be equipping them. One stripped down base squad and one hopped up? I don't know, if anyone has thoughts or suggestions let me know. I have time to think about it, as I want a lot of my troops done before I even start on them.