New AoD player, old player returning to GW - VIth Legion?

Hi,

I recently returned to the hobby, about 2 months ago or so. I left before 5th Ed was released and had some busy years and then went back to become a student and pushed GW out of my head, playing stupid MMOs instead (War Thunder) of modelling and painting, almost forgetting GW..

I started to play just when 2nd Ed was released and was first and foremost a Space Wolf player since even though I have had some secondary forces.

I found Shadow War: Armageddon and I love it, painting several small teams seemed perfect for me but soon I wanted an army again and started to look at 8th Ed for real. The rules felt very different but after testing some I can live with it but it took quite some time to try to catch up with the recent background and the Primaris. I like the models and the rules seems okay but they do not mix that well, to me, with my favourite Spce Wolves.

So I started to make some Crimson Fists and Flesh Tearers instead, saving bitz for when I feel like rebuilding my Space Wolves again.

And then I found Horus Heresy: Age of Darkness..:happy.:  Wow..

I had the first artbooks from Black Library before leaving the hobby those many years ago and there were some novels.. But I did not know it had kicked off like this. That was something i wanted all that time but I was away from it when it happened.

Suddenly it felt like the right place to rebuild my Space Wolves!

Sorry if that was long already..

I have started to work my head around it all. I have the rulebook and understan it is kinda 7th Ed? So maybe closer to 4th Ed than in some aspects than the current 8th Ed I have for the last month been trying to get into?

I do have Inferno but yet to read much. I have however checked over the units and have a feeling, I think, how Space Wolves look and so on. I feel very happy about Grey Slayers and I would not mind doing loads of those guys.

And after a quick look it seems as if I quite easy can buy the plastic Mk. IIIs and make them into Grey Slayers with bolters, chainswords and add as much plastic Space Wolf bitz as aI can?

I am still a student so will have to wait until i can order loads of the more pricey FW stuff (but I can´t wait to do that!) But I can start out that way?

Seems like a decent start?

I have gotten those books I think I need and started to listen to the Audio Books (Horus Rising still) while at the gym or on the bus, totally buying into 30k instead of 40k right now.

Well, any tips on that..?:blush.: I think that is what I wanted to ask.. Any general tips on Space Wolves, what to read to get into the setting or links to galleries is welcome. 

Glad I found this and I have not feelt this hyped about anything GW for a long time!

Welcome brother...to....THE AGE OF DARKNESS! (In my head there was suitably Hans Zimmer like dramatic music with that...)

Pull your furs tight about you young wolf, move closer to the fire pits of your ancestors...for the dark of night holds bloodshed & little warmth...

....-cough- anyway! My first piece of advice would be this: Think of it purely as Age of Darkness Version 1.0. Yes, it shares much with previous editions of the game but also differs a lot too. That way it'll be a true fresh start in your head. :biggrin.:

You can start where ever you wish. There are certain boxe sets that make sense obviously purely from a gaming perspective, however some units are just plain awesome and you may just want to get it for the hell of it! The most important thing is you enjoy your hobby and Age of Darkness how you want to. :biggrin.:

Luckily for you the Horus Heresy is very well catered for on the Bolter and Chainsword and plenty of advice and constructive fun to be had!

BCC

Edited by battle captain corpus

I think I heard the music too, even more Epic than in Armageddon! And even more slow motion..! :wink: 

Thanks for the Welcome!

It feels a bit that I might even put anything 8th Ed. on hold for now, I feel so much more hyped for this. Shadow War: Armageddon can be where I get other fractions painted anyways, from the 40k era.

Yeah I must say I am much more into the modelling and painting than worrying too much about getting an optimized force. The background and the modellig aspect is the biggest appeal to me. I like the look of FWs stuff for the ´Wolves and I will probably over time try to get the infantry units. But I love converting too.

What is the usual points values people play though? And what is the lowest you can expect people to wanna play?

Oh - by the way. Seems like alot of stuff is OOP? Like Space Wolf torsos and so on? Do stuff like that ever come back (moulds worn out?)

I kinda liked the look of them, no biggie but annoying if stuff keeps disappearing all the time..

Some sad news for you, Wolf Brother - the Forge World, who supplied these armanents is in material shortage, didn't except anything like theese in the future. (And it is NOT the doing of the Warmaster! I refuse these accusings. He is such a nice fellow, just wants to give a hug - with his lightning claws out! :biggrin.: )

I think it was last year, when the great culling (aka Last Chance to Buy) hit everyone, and all those nice torsos, MkII units, and much-much more disappeared from the FW store. It is a real shame, and I don't think that these thing will come back :( I still hope that we might see some plastic MkII figures one day.

But the Wolves have those nice Grey Slayer upgrades. And the "regular" plastic Grey Hunter boxes have many usable parts, I really would do some crossovers with them.

lol, he seems like a decent chap in Horus Rising (listening to it when on the gym, in part III right now) - hell he even likes dogs eh? ;)

Yeah I have been looking the kits over just today actually. I think i can do decent ones with the Mk. IIIs and some Grey Hunter bitz. That works. And all is plastic. But I did like the look of those FW bitz..

Welcome back to the hobby! :)

The Mk III box is really nice, and the plastic makes the models more convertable and poseable! I have been using it a lot for my super friendly Thousand Sons... :D

Have you joined the 30k Sweden FB group yet? Whereabout in Sweden are you at? We are always having events all over the place, and even in Denmark *gasp*, the land of cheese and real-time campaigns (Raltac shoutout, wohoo)!

Welcome back to the hobby! :smile.:

The Mk III box is really nice, and the plastic makes the models more convertable and poseable! I have been using it a lot for my super friendly Thousand Sons... :biggrin.:

Have you joined the 30k Sweden FB group yet? Whereabout in Sweden are you at? We are always having events all over the place, and even in Denmark *gasp*, the land of cheese and real-time campaigns (Raltac shoutout, wohoo)!

Thanks! Oh yes I have! I live in Solna sp should have some people around me, but I do not have anything playable yet so have not really focussed on that. I will, soon.

lol, trickery TS! ;)

You aren't returning to GW my friend, your soul is now pledged to FW. Part of the ship, part of the crew. :wink:

lol, oh I was the FW-wh0re in my group back in the days.. 3 SW Land Raiders with Reinforced Armour, Doors, 4 Rhinos ditto etc.. Waay too much money went there, but then i had  ajob.. ;)