Craftworld attributes for Wraithwing

Emicus

I'm working on a Wraithwing army w/ 3 units in serpents, a wraithseer and 2 wraithlords. Prior to Psychic Awakening Ilyanden was "the only choice" primarily because of the stratagem and relic. But now...

I'm leaning towards Diviners of Fate (6++) and Wrath of the Dead (rr1s to wound for <WRAITH CONSTRUCT>).

Invuln save is never wrong and it also affects the Serpents, combined with spirit stones 6+++ they'll be even harder to crack. While a 6 is a snowflakes chance in hell for a save, having it army wide gives ample oppertunity to roll enough dice for it to matter.

Wrath of the Dead had a lot of contenders. I settled on this because again it works for nearly all my units, all of the time. No disembarking, no charging and it works for both shooting and melee. With high strength units I practically can't fail to wound with this.

But am I wrong? What would you do differently? Is it morally heinous to tear souls out of the afterlife and place them in war constructs? How badly do you want to break the theme by adding a CP battery? Where are the Farseers?

Agreed, Expert Crafters is really strong on a units that rely on a small number of high strength attacks to deal damage. Personally I would combine it with the Alaitoc-lite trait for defense. A 2+ save on most units against attacks from >12" is pretty good defense in most cases.

We are talking about a wraith army though. i.e they NEED to be within less than 12" or their guns can't reach.

So having the in cover trait is pretty useless as the serpents are probably turbo boosting up the board.

I think the 6++ from diviners of fate is the only logical go-too trait for a wraith only army.

But I wouldn't go with the wrath of the dead re-rolls of 1s. Simply because all their guns are strength 10, so are wounding on 2s most the time anyway, but you're only hitting on 3's (4's if your wraithlord moves with heavy/degraded). So id go expert crafters, getting the extra single re-roll to hit per squad is actually a huge modifier when you consider they only have 1 shot each anyway and only have 5 or 6 in the unit, AND you get a single re-roll to would as well, so best of both worlds. (unless you go all wraith scythes or CC, because then you're better off re-rolling ones instead with wrath of the dead).

Unfortunately expert crafters is going to be the trait everyone chooses all the time as its just farrr better than the rest as a force multiplier.

The only people who won't be choosing it all the time will be non heavy infantry type armies.

Edited by Captain Coolpants

We are talking about a wraith army though. i.e they NEED to be within less than 12" or their guns can't reach.

So having the in cover trait is pretty useless as the serpents are probably turbo boosting up the board.

They need to be within 12" of their target but there will probably be quite a lot of the enemy army outside 12". Heavy weapon squads further back or units on the other side of the battlefield if you make a flanking attack. Remember the trait only ceases to provide protection against attackers within 12". It still works perfectly well against the rest of the opponent's army.

The reason I do not rate the 6++ very highly is that Wraith units and Serpents already have a 3+ save. That trait will do nothing against autocannons, missile launchers or even lascannons. It will only provide protection when you get right up to AP-4 which is mostly melta guns and Hellblasters. The trait providing cover will provide protection against every until it gets close.

And if your opponent is trying to get within 12", that is exactly where your Wraithtroops want them anyway. :wink:

I'm thinking 1 wraith guard with cannons and 2 wraithblades. Salamanders trait is nice but only one dice.. Hmm.. Guess it helps a lot on wraithlord shooting.

And yes there is a lot of hellblasters around here ;)

Do I put the spiritseer with blades or guard?

Edited by Emicus