Tricks to stay motivated in growing your collection?

War Angel

So I’ve got the models, I just can’t stay on top of building and painting them. There’s always some other distraction that pulls my attention away, or I cant decide what to start next, or I immediately decide to start a second thing before finishing the first. So what’s some things or tricks or advice you use/have to keep going.

Personally I don't play models that aren't fully painted, just so I'm staying on top of things. Also, I never have more than 3 unopened boxes at home at any moment. The pile of shame was such an issue in my youth that I've become quite strict with myself.

Honestly, it's a very nice feeling when your entire collection is either completely painted or could be within 14 days. Weight of the shoulders IMO

Honestly, I don't bother - if I don't absolutely need a unit finished for a game, then when my attention wanders to something else, I just go paint it. I make sure to keep a pretty extensive painting journal so that I remember where I was on different projects and what I had been using to paint the project so I don't end up with different colors on the same model, but ultimately if I end up blocked on completing something, I do something else until the interest returns.

I've just personally found that trying to force it leads to results on the models I'm not happy with.

It also helps that I have three different Marine Chapters I paint for, as well as at least four Xenos races and a Chaos faction, so I don't think I have ever not had something to do.

Personally I don't play models that aren't fully painted, just so I'm staying on top of things. Also, I never have more than 3 unopened boxes at home at any moment. The pile of shame was such an issue in my youth that I've become quite strict with myself.

Honestly, it's a very nice feeling when your entire collection is either completely painted or could be within 14 days. Weight of the shoulders IMO

So how many unfinished models do you have a time?

Maybe 10? Often times 0 models, then I buy a box or two of stuff I like. I just really dislike the feeling of a massive backlog so this method has saved me from copious amounts of stress and also saved me a fair bit of money on models I'd never get around to even build.

I can't recommend it enough, but it might not be for everyone. Bonus point is that if you do switch over to it you basically become a mythical being (I'm unsure if I've ever met anyone with a backlog as small as mine)

Do a tier + priority list spreadsheet based on things like if you use it often, how completed it is etc.As an example, something mostly complete compared to something less finished, but you use the relatively unfinished thing often- then the seldom used but almost finished thing should be finished first. Why? Because the goal is to get completed miniatures in the end. Also its better to keep things unopened and finish what is already started first. As time passes, you may change your mind and can sell/ gift the boxes easier than half done things. Also at that point, do one box at a time, no more than two MAYBE three different kits at once. Its actually more psychological than anything, mental discipline is key. At least you are doing things, I haven't picked up a brush in over a month due to how CSM are these days and that has even sapped the enthusiasm for another 40k project for either primaris, custodes or DE I was considering. 

Tricks to keep my going:

-Don't buy too many models before painting existing ones. The backlog builds up and it becomes harder to get motivated.

-Arranging games that encourage me to get everything ready as I don't use unpainted models.

-Painting the things I want to and not focusing on what's hot in the meta.

Tricks to keep my going:

-Don't buy too many models before painting existing ones. The backlog builds up and it becomes harder to get motivated.

This is the money right here... I gotta say, I'm the perfect example of why this is so key :)

I do to-do lists and essentially reward myself. I like painting characters and elite infantry models and often times find troops and vehicles taxing so my current Death Guard to do list is:

1) Paint 2 squads of 7 Plague marines

2) Paint Lord of Contagion (Reward)

3) Paint 1 5 man squad of Plague marines and Paint a Rhino

4) Paint 7 Plague marines with melee weapons (Reward)

etc.

I have relatively little self control but once I get into the routine of painting, I can really get going

I appreciate this probably doesn't help much when your pile of grey plastic has already grown quite large, but I'll add another voice in support of "only buy new stuff when everything else is painted".

It keeps me disciplined, it gives me time to think about whether I really do want to spend time on a model before I get it, and it postpones purchases so that sometimes, rather than just getting something to scratch that hobby itch, I'll have waited long enough that something which I think is outright cool to have released, and I'll get that instead.

I appreciate this probably doesn't help much when your pile of grey plastic has already grown quite large, but I'll add another voice in support of "only buy new stuff when everything else is painted".

The problem for me is the opportunity to buy more models than I need right now. Shadowspear as a prime example, you can easily complete one box completely. But then you get a second, as you need certain parts of it (Infils/Eliminators). Then the others remain on sprue as you don't have any use for them. And if you do that a few times, the pile grows despite objectively, you made a good deal - multipart Eliminators are only now released, and almost as expensive as an entire Shadowspear Astartes part at the local group.

And yes, listening to stuff to distract you while painting helps.

Podcasts and audio books are one way, the other (for us) is a 40k Discord channel for "gossipainting".

Except for that, artificial deadlines have helped me a lot - needing a certain unit for a game/tournament/Armies on Parade raised its priority far enough to displace the "latest hotness" units and other distractions.

Edited by MajorNese

Well, multiple things.

1. Force yourself to finish one thing before starting the next. Nothing is worse than having a bunch of different models/units in different states of WIP.

2. Take your time. It's fine if you need months to finish a unit, years to finish an army. Just because others push out a whole army within weeks doesn't mean you have to.

3. Use the models. Nothing gets the hobby juice flowing as much as actually having your stuff on the board painted. Just don't get used to using unpainted models.

If the painting process is too much of a chore search for something you can listen to in the background. Podcasts, audiobooks, pen&paper groups (Critical Roll is the most popular one but I also enjoy a lot of Geek&Sundry stuff like Callisto6 or Vampires), Let's Plays or just streams on TwitchTV.

Edited by sfPanzer

Great tips. I have to agree with the oft-repeated "don't be that guy who plays with unpainted models" bit. It is key to the hobby! When you put unpainted models on the board, you are putting 2 things out there. First, you are not willing to put the effort into the hobby that the rest of us are, and/or second you are just slapping models together to take advantage of new cheese. A lot of us have a love/hate relationship with painting. Especially when you have not added to your collection for awhile, and delude yourself into thinking getting the new stuff table ready won't be so bad.

I hate it when people bring unpainted models to the table! It should be banned at events. The worst part is the lame excuses on why it/they are not painted up.

I treat painting as “me time” where I can just focus on one thing and be alone with it. It’s a peaceful time for me.

If I have nothing else going on, school work is done for the day, house is clean, dogs are taken care of, then painting is the reward. I take a beer or a glass of whiskey, maybe out some music on, and paint however many models I have time for.

I've typically found if you are batch painting, to finish one model completely every while and again. Seeing a completed model does wonders to my motivation and also breaks up the monotony of painting the same thing over and over.

It's the only reason I've managed to get 120 Guardsmen done. :blink.:

Either have an area where you can paint and leave things out so its not a chore to get the painting things out /cleaned and put away every time - this means your more likely to do the 5 mins here... single model there.

Another option is to have a tray that you can have one or two models /unit on so you can paint whilst the TV is on so you are spending time with your other half/family*  & still getting painting done.

Well, I always buy stuff before my existing stuff is finished. But one thing I absolutely won't do is play games with unpainted models.

Sometimes that means my shiny new units stay on the shelf for another week, and other times it means I pull a massive painting shift to get things ready in time. Desire to field new models usually motivates me to paint them. 

Paint everything you have.

Don't buy anything new until everything you have has been painted.

It's brutal, but it works.

No, you can't make me! I won't do it!

*sobs dejectedly in pile of resin*

Edited by Marshal Rohr

I've ended up with multiple collections for multiple systems over the years and I do have pretty big backlogs in a few places, in part because I'm willing to pay less now for something I'll want eventually, but may not be available then at the price (I have the Deathwatch from DeathMasque sitting around as a future project as I've always fancied them), so feel free to ignore my advice :)

First - I only play with unpainted/unfinished models IF I can't field a full force of painted models for that faction/battle size AND I only play with each unpaiinted model once - after it's been on the table it's top of the queue, no excuses - this is because sometimes starting a new project I can end up not sure which way I want to go with something, so I'll want to play them to see what it feels like.

Second - I like to have two or more different batches on the go at once, so whatever I'm in the mood to paint I can make progress on, there's nothing worse hobby wise than being fired up to paint infantry and have nothing sprayed but a tank and it's raining! - for example at the moment I have a combat squad of Intercessors, a Plagueburst Crawler, a troop of Vickers light tanks and a section of tracked Rapier launchers on the go with a box of Skitarii waiting for a place to free up.

Third - I keep a spreadsheet of all my unpainted models (I did once forget I'd bought something and buy it again before I got round to it - never again) looking at the size of that list before buying something is quite a good restraint! (not perfect though, especially when there is a splash release that's buy now or pay much more later, but at least it's an enlightened decision.

I've got similar points that others have mentioned along with one I haven't seen. Have you considered a kanban board? It's also known as swim lanes but it's a great way to track progress. I've put one together and keep models I own in different lanes like purchased/built/primed/etc.

xMdsSQGh.png

I color code what units go to what army and I move things around as I work on them. I try to limit myself to a single unit of painting at a time. Previously I've had 3-4 WIP projects at a time and it was very stressful. I also limit myself to painting no more than 5 infantry models at a time so I can see actual progress with them. 3 models is my personal sweet spot because I feel like I get so much done in a short period of time.

As others have mentioned I limit myself to only playing with fully painted models. When I first started that wasn't the case but now that I've got ~1500 points painted I hold to that rule. I may do the occasional proxy to test a unit but that is rare. I'm in this hobby for the thematic experience on the table and I want it to look great.

Lastly - Clear the Machine. It's a phrase I heard on the ICs podcast a couple months ago. When you're done with your hobby clean your work area. When you let models or paint or bits just pile up and clutter your work space it makes it harder to get motivated and focus. I have a cubby in my desk that has a door over the front. My in-use paint and WIP models go there at the end of the night so when I'm done my hobby is put up until I'm ready to get it out again.

Having a bit of variety helps. I love painting my Imperial Fists but if you have a couple of aeronautica planes to break up the monotony or a shadespyre war band that is good. I also think contrast is a gift for batch painting. I hate painting beasts of all kinds and I've had a box of empire pistoliers in a box since fantasy blew up but I could never motivate myself to paint the horses. Come along contrast and they were a dream.