Tricks to stay motivated in growing your collection?

War Angel

Paint everything you have.

Don't buy anything new until everything you have has been painted.

It's brutal, but it works.

No, you can't make me! I won't do it!

*sobs dejectedly in pile of resin*

Ahh, another poor soul lost to the scourge of a resin crack addiction! *cry*

:biggrin.:

Me: Hey that looks like a nice kit, I could buy just a few more kits to convert it....

M0nolith: No. You already have enough miniatures at home. 

Hard truths and big facts. 

:teehee:

Switching between vehicle and infantry units can help prevent building/painting from becoming monotone.

The same goes for different armies and color schemes.

Having a dedicated place/corner for the hobby enables one to work on projects whenever - having to rummage through storage for tools/glue/paint beforehand and having to put stuff away afterwards is a hurdle compared to being able to just sit down and build/paint.

Keeping unstarted/unfinished things out of sight helps prevent demotivation, e.g. I only ever take out one squad of 10 guardsmen at once for painting and the rest of the gray horde is kept well out of sight.

Also, every once in a while it helps to look at what has been done/finished - looking at what you've accomplished can be quite motivating.

Learning new techniques can be motivating, but can also be a huge time sink. Results may be worth it though.

I don't play with unpainted models, so that is my incentive for building and painting them.  That said I tend to follow a very rigid structure.

Army -> Sub Organization -> Line Units / Alternate between characters.

In other words, I am currently working on my space marine army.  Focus on Battle Company and their troops.  Complete 6 x Tacticals, 2 x Devastators, 2 x Assault, 1 x Command Squad.  Every squad I complete, I will work on a character to "lead" them. 

After I complete the 2nd company, then I move on to the 1st Veterans, Scout Company etc....

How I de-motivate myself from buying new models is to tell myself that every cent I save here = a delicious meal somewhere else....

Edit: I forgot to mention that I joined a painting challenge.  Participants pick an army and commits themselves to paint 2000 points of that army within a year.  So there is a start date and an end date.   After the end date, all participants gather to dine together at a restaurant.   Those who failed to paint up 2000 points must pay for the dinner.  Those who succeed only pays for their own share.

Edited by Aurica