Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Siege of Terra - Saturnine by Dan Abnett

• Please log in to reply
900 replies to this topic

Shovellovin

Shovellovin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 239 posts

Is anyone else surprised to hear that Dan Abnett is writing the fourth book in the Siege of Terra series? I would have bet that he would have written the last book since he started the Horus Heresy series. He is only writing one book in the series, right? If I remember correctly, Guy Haley is writing two books in the series and everyone else is writing one book each. Has the Black Library started who will be writing the last book?

https://youtu.be/jy7OYA6jqA0

Edited by Shovellovin, 10 November 2019 - 05:44 PM.

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,394 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
He’s writing two.

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Shovellovin

Shovellovin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 239 posts

He’s writing two.

That makes sense. I incorrectly remembered that Haley was writing two books. 

Son of Carnelian

Son of Carnelian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,530 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels
Dan Abnett better be writing the last book. He started this incarnation of the Heresy, he should be the one to end it.
  • Pacific81, Black Blow Fly, lionofjudah and 8 others like this

Lexington

Lexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,486 posts
  • Faction: Orks!
I believe A D-B has said pretty definitively, that Abnett’s writing the last book, yeah.
  • Medjugorje likes this

gallery_23421_16101_14266.png

fire golem

fire golem

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,790 posts
  • Faction: XVth Legion, Loyal Siege force

He’s writing two.

That makes sense. I incorrectly remembered that Haley was writing two books. 

There’s 6 authors and 8 books, so two are writing two. Haley is a good bet for the other, seeing how quick he writes. I hope it’s John French though. 

• RedFurioso likes this

Lord Marshal

Lord Marshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,510 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Guard
I just think there's something amusingly ironic that an author notorious for his terrible, rushed endings should close out the series.

The Emperor will kill Horus, then on the next, last page he'll be interred on the Throne and that will be that.

I'm exaggerating and I say this as somebody who puts Abnett as his second favourite Black Library author (behind Peter Fehervari), but hey.

Edited by Lord Marshal, 10 November 2019 - 07:14 PM.

• Antarius likes this
gallery_30308_9518_1272.jpggallery_30308_9518_1551.png

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,394 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
He is probably using Saturnine to set up the last book separate from the others so he doesn’t have to rush the end.

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Noserenda

Noserenda

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,733 posts
  • Faction: Scythes of the Emperor

Yeah im hoping the others help him with the ending, hes not been good at them for a while... Not gonna complain about two Abnett books in the series though! 

The title is an odd one though, maybe the Solar war aint over yet? 

rookie40K

rookie40K

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 139 posts
I have faith Abnett will do it justice. I’m sure it is very important to him that it is done right and he will do his best to not allow his other work interfere. Super happy he’s doing 2 books.
  • Black Blow Fly likes this

DukeLeto69

DukeLeto69

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 842 posts

Where does this "Abnett cannot write endings" urban myth come from. Without doubt he rushed/bumbled the ending of Unremembered Empire and it could be argued the ending of Titanicus really needed another 20-30 pages BUT that us just two books out of tonnes so other than that which other novels has he written have rushed/bumbled endings?

• Black Blow Fly likes this

Kenzaburo

Kenzaburo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 328 posts
  • Faction: Adeptus Custodes

I'm also not 100 percent on board with that Abnett moniker. There have been tons of books by him, where I was left wanting more in the end, sure. Where I wanted to see more of character X, the consequences of Y and so forth. But only a few novels felt really rushed. It's more that his pacing is so fast takes you for a ride that you feel, you've suddenly hit the end. 

Unremembered Empire was a book, on the other hand, that didn't so much suffer from a rushed ending but from several rather weird plot points. It could have used a closer character study by Abnett on Guilliman and the other instigators of the UR and less superhero movie. 

Edited by Kenzaburo, 11 November 2019 - 09:13 PM.

• DukeLeto69 and StrangerOrders like this

Visit my painter profile on Instagram: https://www.instagra...gfused.painter/

gallery_48988_15465_14148.png gallery_48988_15465_5251.png gallery_48988_16045_16337.png

My Titanicus Plog  My Ultramarines Primaris Plog

Khalan

Khalan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 168 posts

I mean the eisenhorn trilogy is arguably one of the best out there so I dont get the Abnett hate.

Noserenda

Noserenda

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,733 posts
  • Faction: Scythes of the Emperor

Where does this "Abnett cannot write endings" urban myth come from. Without doubt he rushed/bumbled the ending of Unremembered Empire and it could be argued the ending of Titanicus really needed another 20-30 pages BUT that us just two books out of tonnes so other than that which other novels has he written have rushed/bumbled endings?

Off the top of my head most of the recent Ghosts books have the problem too, i mean its a first world problem because the rest of the books are ace but most of his recent work just ends abruptly, sometimes forgetting or skipping through stuff. Which is why im worried about him finishing a big series, especially something as monumental as the withdrawal from Terra which could easily be a whole book in itself.

• DarkChaplain likes this

Khalan

Khalan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 168 posts

I would also assume they will milk the scouring for all it's worth and we get a whole new series post throne room fight showing the 7+ year withdrawl/fight off the traitor legions as they run.

Edited by Khalan, 11 November 2019 - 04:47 PM.

DukeLeto69

DukeLeto69

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 842 posts

Off the top of my head most of the recent Ghosts books have the problem too, i mean its a first world problem because the rest of the books are ace but most of his recent work just ends abruptly, sometimes forgetting or skipping through stuff. Which is why im worried about him finishing a big series, especially something as monumental as the withdrawal from Terra which could easily be a whole book in itself.

Respect your opinion brother but have to disagree. Abnett has been clear that he considers Blood Pact, Salvation's Reach, Warmaster and Anarch as a huge single book. With that in mind Warmaster's climax (which I think is the only one of the four that this abrupt ending thing could be levelled at) is actually only the end of Act 2 in a three act structure.

As you say though, first world problems lol

• Phoebus likes this

rookie40K

rookie40K

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 139 posts
Dan Abnett is such a great writer that no one ever wants his books to end. He’s a victim of his own great writing. The Salamander books I couldn’t wait for to end (not always the same author).

Know No Fear and Horus Rising are my ultimate favorite Books. I liked a lot of Unremembered Empire, but hated the Vulkan parts as it was over the top Incredible Hulk like ridiculous. I never read Abnett‘a Ghost books or any of his guard books. To me Abnett and ADB are the top two authors, but I think it is fitting for Abnett to finish this thing.

Edited by rookie40K, 11 November 2019 - 05:46 PM.

• RedFurioso likes this

Lord Marshal

Lord Marshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,510 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Guard

Most of the Gaunt's Ghosts books.

And I say this reluctantly, because they're my favourite Black Library series, but the amount of times something major happens, only for us to see pretty much zero reaction from the characters due to the book ending one page later is common enough to be irritating. Sabbat Martyr and Armour of contempt are probably the worst for it, but Necropolis, Honour Guard and arguably His Last Command were quite obnoxious for "Deus Gotta Wrap This Up Ex!", Honour Guard especially ("every Chaos soldier on the planet spontaneously combusts, the end").

It feels like he's nearing the end, then realises "Oh crap the page count!" and then hastily slams the book closed.

The Victory arc gets a pass, since he's always been upfront about it being more akin to one large book split into several chunks.

Edited by Lord Marshal, 11 November 2019 - 09:04 PM.

• Noserenda, Urauloth, DarkChaplain and 3 others like this
gallery_30308_9518_1272.jpggallery_30308_9518_1551.png

DukeLeto69

DukeLeto69

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 842 posts

Most of the Gaunt's Ghosts books.

And I say this reluctantly, because they're my favourite Black Library series, but the amount of times something major happens, only for us to see pretty much zero reaction from the characters due to the book ending one page later is common enough to be irritating. Sabbat Martyr and Armour of contempt are probably the worst for it, but Necropolis, Honour Guard and arguably His Last Command were quite obnoxious for "Deus Gotta Wrap This Up Ex!", Honour Guard especially ("every Chaos soldier on the planet spontaneously combusts, the end").

It feels like he's nearing the end, then realises "Oh crap the page count!" and then hastily slams the book closed.

The Victory arc gets a pass, since he's always been upfront about it being more akin to one large book split into several chunks.

Interesting and just goes to show folks n strokes. In prep for Warmaster release in 2017 I re-read the whole GG series novels and short stories (and also Double Eagle & Titanicus) in chronological order. The endings never bothered me.

• Phoebus likes this

karden00

karden00

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 784 posts
I’m guessing this will tackle the Grey Knights/maybe Knights Errant? Saturnine May reference the old fleets stationer there, but my money is on its link to Titan.

'Lorgar has his own battles to fight, Erebus,' replied Horus sharply. 'Should he fail at Calth, all this will be for nothing if Guilliman's Legion is allowed to intervene.
You can always ally the Dark Angels to your current ultramarine force.
Never.
My Ultramarines aren't taking the field with traitors.
That's what Dark Vengeance is. A box of traitors.

"Now I have a plasma cannon. LOGISTICS LOGISTICS LOGISTICS."

Grey Angel

Grey Angel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 167 posts

I’m guessing this will tackle the Grey Knights/maybe Knights Errant? Saturnine May reference the old fleets stationer there, but my money is on its link to Titan.

Didn’t the lost and the Damned deal Grey Knights?
I don’t think we’ll see anything else about grey knights in saturnine.

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,237 posts

Abnett's had issues writing endings for a long time. He goes so in-depth on everything before the end, it feels rushed almost every time. From those last timeskip chapters in Eisenhorn: Hereticus over the way the battle of Prospero got rushed in Prospero Burns, after immense amounts of buildup, the Ghosts, recently The Magos, where again it feels like a chunk of writing is missing at the climax, let alone The Unremembered Empire, which is still one of the shortest books in the series and dealt with Sanguinius for a whole two pages before being over. And then you have The Beast Arises, which makes sense to end abruptly as part of a series, but still felt like he dropped everything on short notice and there was more book to come.

It's something that may be the result of him going all in on the meat of the books before the end and then running out of commissioned words, though Abnett is the last author who would get his books rejected or edited down to size if he said he needed more room, but sometimes it comes across more as if he doesn't want his characters to react to the climax on page, at least not fully, or shortcuts deliberately between the end of the penultimate act and the very end. Has been kind of frustrating over the years, because when I read Abnett, I know the contents will most assuredly be exceptional, but the end will leave me at least partially hanging and wondering why there weren't a few pages more to wrap it up more smoothly.

• Lord_Caerolion, mc warhammer, Loquille and 3 others like this

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,469 posts

Abnett's had issues writing endings for a long time. He goes so in-depth on everything before the end, it feels rushed almost every time. From those last timeskip chapters in Eisenhorn: Hereticus over the way the battle of Prospero got rushed in Prospero Burns, after immense amounts of buildup, the Ghosts, recently The Magos, where again it feels like a chunk of writing is missing at the climax, let alone The Unremembered Empire, which is still one of the shortest books in the series and dealt with Sanguinius for a whole two pages before being over. And then you have The Beast Arises, which makes sense to end abruptly as part of a series, but still felt like he dropped everything on short notice and there was more book to come.

It's something that may be the result of him going all in on the meat of the books before the end and then running out of commissioned words, though Abnett is the last author who would get his books rejected or edited down to size if he said he needed more room, but sometimes it comes across more as if he doesn't want his characters to react to the climax on page, at least not fully, or shortcuts deliberately between the end of the penultimate act and the very end. Has been kind of frustrating over the years, because when I read Abnett, I know the contents will most assuredly be exceptional, but the end will leave me at least partially hanging and wondering why there weren't a few pages more to wrap it up more smoothly.

this.

the good always outweighs the bad for me (yeah, even for "unremembered..") but the endings are generally what stops his work from hitting that next level for me. 

'WHEN WE CONFRONTED THE CORRUPTED, HOMICIDAL HORUS WHO ONCE USED TO SHINE LIKE THE BRIGHTEST STAR, WHO USED TO BE OUR BELOVED FAVOURITE – WHEN THE FATE OF THE GALAXY HUNG BY A THREAD – WERE WE NOT COMPELLED TO EXPEL ALL COMPASSION? ALL LOVE? ALL JOY? THOSE WENT AWAY. HOW ELSE COULD WE HAVE ARMOURED OURSELVES? EXISTENCE IS TORMENT, A TORMENT THAT MUST NOURISH US. EVIDENTLY WE MUST STRIVE TO BE THE FIERCE REDEEMER OF MAN, YET WHAT WILL REDEEM US?’

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,983 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Maybe the series was going to be 7 books and they gave Abnett an extra book to make sure he has the breathing room needed to get his ideas fleshed out? <shrug>

I have full faith in Abnett knocking it out of the park. Someone like him doesn’t write Horus Rising without knowing how they would end the series if given the chance. And he’s had his many years to stew over things and work out how he wants it to all go down? As if that’s not enough, the final book is basically every BL writer’s dream gig. No one would mess it up. Trust me, it’s gonna be a 9/10 at the absolute worst.

Call me Indy. It's less syllables.

gallery_93095_13980_27776.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Primus_Interpares_Astartes

DukeLeto69

DukeLeto69

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 842 posts
Book 8 is I reckon a poison chalice. Hardcore fans have had nearly 30yrs of head cannoning and fluff pieces about how the HH ends and SoT. No matter who is writing it there will be some people who just won’t be happy.

However, IMHO the best author for the job is Abnett given adequate time and wordcount (and no competing gigs for Marvel or DC etc)
  • Phoebus, cheywood, RedFurioso and 1 other like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users