Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Siege of Terra - Saturnine by Dan Abnett

• Please log in to reply
900 replies to this topic

Petitioner's City

Petitioner's City

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,523 posts

@StrangerOrders I do not disagree with you, but I think that ship has sailed. Especially with Guilliman having returned in40k and more or less same person....that’s what we were gonna get.

i mean, it would have been neat to have had Russ be a St. Bernard, Sanguinius have been an imaginary friend and a Horus just be an imperial army commander who is one helluva leader able to convince half the imperium to turn rogue, and the Emperor is actually all too human whose “secret project” down in the “Imperial Dungeon” was in fact an all too human distraction. “It’s good to be the king...” ;)

...and then after 10,000 years it’s become these Greek gods each representing some virtue or vice and Horus is made out to be corrupted by unfathomable power because the idea of a mortal general almost conquering back the entire Imperium is far too dangerous an idea to get out to the masses.

.....but no, GW/FW/BL went a different route and we already have what we have so I don’t see the harm in the literal take on things continuing. Besides, the core truths of momentous events tend to stick around and even their most embellished retellings have the core premise right.

A wonderful idea! A shame there wasn't more of this ;)
  • Indefragable likes this
Cinema itself is a trick of time — still pictures passed through a focused beam of light at 24 frames per second. We are reminded of that in La Jetée...

Volt

Volt

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,878 posts
  • Faction: Anges de Vindication

Spoiler

• Ayatollah_of_Rock_n_Rolla likes this

+Quod vult valde vult+

Roomsky

Roomsky

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 907 posts

Spoiler

Presumably everyone at the meetings and the editors, as a single author would not be able to slip something that important in to their finished product like it was nothing.

The lore is changing, as it has been since the novel series began. It doesn't seem especially out of the ordinary at this point, IMO.

• mc warhammer, DarKnight, fire golem and 3 others like this

My webcomic, "Human," can be read here.

[THE LONGER THE ICON OF SIN IS ON EARTH, THE STRONGER HE WILL BECOME]

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,237 posts

Not really a fan of the premise of that change and its ramifications, truth be told, especially since it has some implications for one of the Siege prequel novellas and a Primarchs novel, but whether it will end up a boon for the Siege series or a cursed retcon remains to be seen in the following books; it's one of those elements that one author sets up for the next to follow up on, like Gav ending The First Wall with John Grammaticus so Dan could take up the baton running.

It could be a terrible addition, or it could fall into place neatly. We'll have to see what the next author in line does with it.

Spoiler

• Kelborn likes this

Volt

Volt

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,878 posts

Spoiler

Presumably everyone at the meetings and the editors, as a single author would not be able to slip something that important in to their finished product like it was nothing.

The lore is changing, as it has been since the novel series began. It doesn't seem especially out of the ordinary at this point, IMO.

There's changing, and then there's throwing random M. Night Shyamalan style twists like a hack that overturns decades of army book lore for no other reason than to weigh down the series with even more needless "changes" that serve to add nothing to the thematic arc of the Horus Heresy. Or even worse, completely erode it.

Spoiler

+Quod vult valde vult+

Fedor

Fedor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 255 posts
Spoiler

• DarkChaplain likes this

Roomsky

Roomsky

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 907 posts
Spoiler

Volt

Volt

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,878 posts

Spoiler

They

Spoiler

Edited by Volt, 05 April 2020 - 02:44 AM.

+Quod vult valde vult+

Roomsky

Roomsky

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 907 posts

They

Spoiler

Ah, touche. I had sort of assumed it happened so they could have more people to kill / there'll probably be very few of them. I'll be honest it doesn't bother me as the big boi himself won't be showing on time, but I can see the frustration.

Edited by Roomsky, 05 April 2020 - 02:48 AM.

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,394 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
Spoiler

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

fire golem

fire golem

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,790 posts
  • Faction: XVth Legion, Loyal Siege force

Spoiler

Spoiler

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,202 posts
  • Faction: Legio Magna

Spoiler

Spoiler

Rohr's point is that

Spoiler

edit: repeated word

Edited by Marshal Loss, 05 April 2020 - 12:08 PM.

• mc warhammer, Marshal Rohr, Loquille and 1 other like this

bl-logo.jpg

Sons of Horus 29th Company
ἐλεφαντάρχης

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,394 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
Spoiler

• LetsYouDown and Kelborn like this

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

fire golem

fire golem

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,790 posts
  • Faction: XVth Legion, Loyal Siege force

Gotcha. 

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,975 posts

Spoiler

• DarKnight, Fedor and Ubiquitous1984 like this

Roomsky

Roomsky

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 907 posts

Spoiler

I'm surprised you found it so plot-driven, I thought it was exceptionally pushed forward by character, especially in the segments surrounding Krole and the army. 

I think at this point we have to acknowledge that Sangy as we see him is how he's going to be. I certainly found him likable here, he's quite proactive despite his situation.

• fire golem likes this

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,983 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

I started getting mad at b1soul for not having read the previous two books before Saturnine and having the gall to comment on it....and then I remembered the whole "drive for canonicity can be toxic" debate on these very forums...and laughed at myself for being such a jerk. Is not the attitude of "my experience/way of approaching a hobby is the RIGHT WAY" one of the very problems that can lead to such bull - :cuss on the inter webs? I must be getting old. You damn kids and your loud Noise Marines...

++++++++

About the topic being discussed in Spoilers

Spoiler

I've said it before and will continue to say it until my words are carved in stone, wrapped around my neck, and used to drown me: it's not what you do in a story, but how you do it that matters. 

• mc warhammer, DarKnight, fire golem and 1 other like this

Call me Indy. It's less syllables.

gallery_93095_13980_27776.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Primus_Interpares_Astartes

Volt

Volt

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,878 posts

Spoiler

Spoiler

Rohr's point is that

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by Volt, 05 April 2020 - 11:39 PM.

+Quod vult valde vult+

Lord_Caerolion

Lord_Caerolion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,816 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Sobek

Spoiler

• mc warhammer and Marshal Loss like this

"And then Horus landed on the Moon, which looked like the moon. Funny that, isn't it?"

You're hired.

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,202 posts
  • Faction: Legio Magna

Spoiler

Spoiler

Rohr's point is that

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

This is actually a really good take!

Edited by Marshal Loss, 06 April 2020 - 12:07 AM.

• Lord Lorne Walkier, Loquille and LetsYouDown like this

bl-logo.jpg

Sons of Horus 29th Company
ἐλεφαντάρχης

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,469 posts

Spoiler
Spoiler

and i'm surprised about this  novel not being driven by character. even the spoilers i've read seem laden with character moments and deep understandings of their motivations. all the actions seem to be motivated. but then, i'm one of the ones that would argue KNF is as much a character piece as it is plot driven.

Edited by mc warhammer, 06 April 2020 - 12:21 AM.

'WHEN WE CONFRONTED THE CORRUPTED, HOMICIDAL HORUS WHO ONCE USED TO SHINE LIKE THE BRIGHTEST STAR, WHO USED TO BE OUR BELOVED FAVOURITE – WHEN THE FATE OF THE GALAXY HUNG BY A THREAD – WERE WE NOT COMPELLED TO EXPEL ALL COMPASSION? ALL LOVE? ALL JOY? THOSE WENT AWAY. HOW ELSE COULD WE HAVE ARMOURED OURSELVES? EXISTENCE IS TORMENT, A TORMENT THAT MUST NOURISH US. EVIDENTLY WE MUST STRIVE TO BE THE FIERCE REDEEMER OF MAN, YET WHAT WILL REDEEM US?’

Volt

Volt

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,878 posts
Spoiler

Spoiler

There isn't room. Contrary to popular belief 40k is actually barely removed by 30k in terms of generations due to the sheer lifespan of people. You can have as little as just 2 dreadnoughts removed from a Chapter knowing exact information about what happened in 30k due to one brother talking to another brother as dreadnoughts have lifespans measured in millennia. Considering that marines also tend to have eidetic memories, it'd be quite hard for information to be fudged up by M41 as the Chapter should have fairly fresh witness testimony from that time period. In a similar manner, the Mechanicus isn't that removed from the 30k era either.

Edited by Volt, 06 April 2020 - 12:30 AM.

• DarKnight likes this

+Quod vult valde vult+

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,469 posts

Spoiler

Spoiler

There isn't room. Contrary to popular belief 40k is actually barely removed by 30k in terms of generations due to the sheer lifespan of people. You can have as little as just 2 dreadnoughts removed from a Chapter knowing exact information about what happened in 30k due to one brother talking to another brother as dreadnoughts have lifespans measured in millennia. Considering that marines also tend to have eidetic memories, it'd be quite hard for information to be fudged up by M41 as the Chapter should have fairly fresh witness testimony from that time period. In a similar manner, the Mechanicus isn't that removed from the 30k era either.
one lifespan is enough for info to get muddled.

even within that one lifespan, we just have to look at all the misinformation afloat in our current society on modern events to see how unreliable things are.

and there's also the question of who has access to what information. dark angel dreadnought ancient brother lemielielaswain might know exactly what went down, but does the average dark angel marine have access to lemielielaswain's accounts? or a cousin marine of the iron hands legion who were in tatters during the siege and not exactly keeping immaculate records or in the soundest state of mind? does the average imperial citizen and so on.

on a related note, adb and spurrier have done a great job of showing how even astartes with eidetic memories who lived through the exact same scenarios come away with divergent interpretations of those events.

Edited by mc warhammer, 06 April 2020 - 07:12 AM.

• Lord_Caerolion, Marshal Loss and fire golem like this

'WHEN WE CONFRONTED THE CORRUPTED, HOMICIDAL HORUS WHO ONCE USED TO SHINE LIKE THE BRIGHTEST STAR, WHO USED TO BE OUR BELOVED FAVOURITE – WHEN THE FATE OF THE GALAXY HUNG BY A THREAD – WERE WE NOT COMPELLED TO EXPEL ALL COMPASSION? ALL LOVE? ALL JOY? THOSE WENT AWAY. HOW ELSE COULD WE HAVE ARMOURED OURSELVES? EXISTENCE IS TORMENT, A TORMENT THAT MUST NOURISH US. EVIDENTLY WE MUST STRIVE TO BE THE FIERCE REDEEMER OF MAN, YET WHAT WILL REDEEM US?’

Lord_Caerolion

Lord_Caerolion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,816 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Sobek

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

• mc warhammer and Silent Observant like this

"And then Horus landed on the Moon, which looked like the moon. Funny that, isn't it?"

You're hired.

Fedor

Fedor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 255 posts

Spoiler

Maybe i'm overthinking it, but it seems like the sort of binding up elements of actual old lore with the subsequent real world retcons that Dan would go for considering the way he's seemingly taking the Pius story.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users