Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Siege of Terra - Saturnine by Dan Abnett

• Please log in to reply
756 replies to this topic

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,041 posts
  • Faction: Legio Magna

There isn't room.

Opinions are one thing, but this is categorically wrong. Ignoring for a moment the fact that from a practical standpoint there will always be as much room as the authors desire for something like this to occur, 40k is quite literally a setting that revolves around forgotten knowledge; it's a core tenet of the universe. Speaking as a historian, you'd be shocked at how easily information is corrupted and how quickly narratives go awry without any purposeful malevolence or negligence on the part of primary sources. I experience this as readily working with Herodotus as my colleagues do sifting through reports written by WW2-era soldiers the very day of a major engagement.

I'm guessing you may not be pleased at this development but there's little point in waving your hands around and saying it can't happen. As of right now, barring a twist of unprecedented

Spoiler
proportions, it clearly can and does happen. All that remains is to wait and see how it plays out.

Edited by Marshal Loss, Yesterday, 02:16 AM.

• mc warhammer, fire golem, Loquille and 2 others like this

bl-logo.jpg

Sons of Horus 29th Company
ἐλεφαντάρχης

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,751 posts
@ Roomsky
Apart from Krole, could you please eleborate? Would like to hear your take, as mine is far from the gold standard.

I guess almost none of the characters really resonated with me or seemed to advance in their arcs (or even have arcs). My connection with the characters was based on my prior knowledge of them and their deeds in other BL works.

It could just be a case of me, the reader, being mired too much in Saturnine's liberal helpings of action.

@ Indefrafable
Yup, so some of my questions or issues with Saturnine are probably answered by the prior two books. I definitely lack that context. I did start the prior two books but gave up as I didn't enjoy the writing. This was more true of The First Wall. Just not my cup of tea. I ended up reading online spoilers but spoilers can't capture a full two novels' worth of material.

Spoiler

Edited by b1soul, Yesterday, 03:07 AM.

Lord Lorne Walkier

Lord Lorne Walkier

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,450 posts
  • Faction: Enlightened Sons

Spoiler

Spoiler

Rohr's point is that

Spoiler

edit: repeated word

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

This is actually a really good take!

Spoiler

• Marshal Loss likes this

"Death comes in many forms, but i would count aerial bombardment amongst the most satisfyingly efficient."

gallery_70393_10089_14705.png

Roomsky

Roomsky

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 786 posts

@ Roomsky
Apart from Krole, could you please eleborate? Would like to hear your take, as mine is far from the gold standard.

Spoiler

• mc warhammer likes this

My webcomic, "Human," can be read here.

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,751 posts
Spoiler

DukeLeto69

DukeLeto69

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 810 posts
Possibly/probably better to post this in the “...canonicity...” thread but why do some folks get SO upset when new things are added or changes made to previous lore descriptions?

Why is a piece of lore written 20-30 yrs ago (eg William King’s SoT piece) inviolable?

The cannon evolves as the story evolves. Often because the writers (through story group conferences) realise that some of the old lore actually MADE NO SENSE! The HH lore in the Collected Visions is a right royal mess (sorry Alan Merrett).

The major story/plot decisions each author involved in the SoT books writes into their respective novel will have been agreed by the story group (all six authors + editors + GW IP guys). The authors have been clear on that and how they are all sharing ideas.

When the HH novel series and Forgeworld Black Books are finished then THAT will be the cannon due to the sheer effort and person hours put in to developing it.

So you might expect to see a knock on in lore sections in some Codexes in future.

Some folks might prefer the old lore but sadly for them they need to accept that the new lore is changing some aspects for whatever reason. So either go with the new canon lore or retreat to head canon as that is totally valid (for you) too!

Eg. For years we all thought the UMs just sat out the HH. But that lore evolved first with (card game) Collected Visions then further with novels and FW BB. The new lore has actually provided far more credible reasons for where they were.

Edited by DukeLeto69, Yesterday, 07:28 AM.

• Lord Lorne Walkier and Vazzy like this

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,751 posts
As a general rule, I only get annoyed when the old fluff is replaced by something I personally dislike. If the old fluff is being replaced by something better, I am all for it
  • Ayatollah_of_Rock_n_Rolla likes this

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users