Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Siege of Terra - Saturnine by Dan Abnett

• Please log in to reply
901 replies to this topic

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,210 posts
  • Faction: Legio Magna

There isn't room.

Opinions are one thing, but this is categorically wrong. Ignoring for a moment the fact that from a practical standpoint there will always be as much room as the authors desire for something like this to occur, 40k is quite literally a setting that revolves around forgotten knowledge; it's a core tenet of the universe. Speaking as a historian, you'd be shocked at how easily information is corrupted and how quickly narratives go awry without any purposeful malevolence or negligence on the part of primary sources. I experience this as readily working with Herodotus as my colleagues do sifting through reports written by WW2-era soldiers the very day of a major engagement.

I'm guessing you may not be pleased at this development but there's little point in waving your hands around and saying it can't happen. As of right now, barring a twist of unprecedented

Spoiler
proportions, it clearly can and does happen. All that remains is to wait and see how it plays out.

Edited by Marshal Loss, 06 April 2020 - 02:16 AM.

• mc warhammer, fire golem, Loquille and 3 others like this

bl-logo.jpg

Sons of Horus 29th Company
ἐλεφαντάρχης

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,982 posts
@ Roomsky
Apart from Krole, could you please eleborate? Would like to hear your take, as mine is far from the gold standard.

I guess almost none of the characters really resonated with me or seemed to advance in their arcs (or even have arcs). My connection with the characters was based on my prior knowledge of them and their deeds in other BL works.

It could just be a case of me, the reader, being mired too much in Saturnine's liberal helpings of action.

@ Indefrafable
Yup, so some of my questions or issues with Saturnine are probably answered by the prior two books. I definitely lack that context. I did start the prior two books but gave up as I didn't enjoy the writing. This was more true of The First Wall. Just not my cup of tea. I ended up reading online spoilers but spoilers can't capture a full two novels' worth of material.

Spoiler

Edited by b1soul, 06 April 2020 - 03:07 AM.

Lord Lorne Walkier

Lord Lorne Walkier

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,457 posts
  • Faction: Enlightened Sons

Spoiler

Spoiler

Rohr's point is that

Spoiler

edit: repeated word

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

This is actually a really good take!

Spoiler

• Marshal Loss likes this

"Death comes in many forms, but i would count aerial bombardment amongst the most satisfyingly efficient."

gallery_70393_10089_14705.png

Roomsky

Roomsky

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 910 posts

@ Roomsky
Apart from Krole, could you please eleborate? Would like to hear your take, as mine is far from the gold standard.

Spoiler

• mc warhammer and LetsYouDown like this

My webcomic, "Human," can be read here.

[THE LONGER THE ICON OF SIN IS ON EARTH, THE STRONGER HE WILL BECOME]

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,982 posts
Spoiler

DukeLeto69

DukeLeto69

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 850 posts
Possibly/probably better to post this in the “...canonicity...” thread but why do some folks get SO upset when new things are added or changes made to previous lore descriptions?

Why is a piece of lore written 20-30 yrs ago (eg William King’s SoT piece) inviolable?

The cannon evolves as the story evolves. Often because the writers (through story group conferences) realise that some of the old lore actually MADE NO SENSE! The HH lore in the Collected Visions is a right royal mess (sorry Alan Merrett).

The major story/plot decisions each author involved in the SoT books writes into their respective novel will have been agreed by the story group (all six authors + editors + GW IP guys). The authors have been clear on that and how they are all sharing ideas.

When the HH novel series and Forgeworld Black Books are finished then THAT will be the cannon due to the sheer effort and person hours put in to developing it.

So you might expect to see a knock on in lore sections in some Codexes in future.

Some folks might prefer the old lore but sadly for them they need to accept that the new lore is changing some aspects for whatever reason. So either go with the new canon lore or retreat to head canon as that is totally valid (for you) too!

Eg. For years we all thought the UMs just sat out the HH. But that lore evolved first with (card game) Collected Visions then further with novels and FW BB. The new lore has actually provided far more credible reasons for where they were.

Edited by DukeLeto69, 06 April 2020 - 07:28 AM.

• Lord Lorne Walkier, aa.logan, Vazzy and 3 others like this

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,982 posts
As a general rule, I only get annoyed when the old fluff is replaced by something I personally dislike. If the old fluff is being replaced by something better, I am all for it
  • DarKnight, Silent Observant and Ayatollah_of_Rock_n_Rolla like this

Enosh

Enosh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 52 posts

Possibly/probably better to post this in the “...canonicity...” thread but why do some folks get SO upset when new things are added or changes made to previous lore descriptions?

Why is a piece of lore written 20-30 yrs ago (eg William King’s SoT piece) inviolable?

because it's good, people don't complain that Sherlock probably isn't canon anymore or that a half eldar isn't the ultramarine librarian, people will complain about something good, something emotional, something that connected with them being replaced with "actually X did it, isn't that a twist, didn't we subvert your exactions! Gosh we are just so clever"

Spoiler

nagashnee

nagashnee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 288 posts
Because if they can change lore at the drop of a hat it makes the lore worthless. It sometimes makes whole books, and stories and entire painted armies worthless. It makes the desire to invest in actual new lore meaningless because it is in itself meaningless.

Small changes to fix actual issues are fine. But for example having Sanguinius defeat his ultimate demonic nemesis years before their utterly ICONIC showdown during the siege of terra is not only change for the sake of change, but activly underwhelmes dozens of other stories, characters, moments in the wider BA lore.

Simple fact is the moment that lazy retconing becomes the norm there is no longer lore to speak of.
  • DarkChaplain, Volt, SpAcEGhOsT095 and 1 other like this

The Mechanicum Never Deletes Anything.

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,982 posts

Spoiler

Enosh

Enosh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 52 posts

Spoiler

Spoiler

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,469 posts
i don't really see it. they fulfilled completely different roles

they just both happen to be female.
  • Lord_Caerolion, fire golem, AfroCampbell and 2 others like this

'WHEN WE CONFRONTED THE CORRUPTED, HOMICIDAL HORUS WHO ONCE USED TO SHINE LIKE THE BRIGHTEST STAR, WHO USED TO BE OUR BELOVED FAVOURITE – WHEN THE FATE OF THE GALAXY HUNG BY A THREAD – WERE WE NOT COMPELLED TO EXPEL ALL COMPASSION? ALL LOVE? ALL JOY? THOSE WENT AWAY. HOW ELSE COULD WE HAVE ARMOURED OURSELVES? EXISTENCE IS TORMENT, A TORMENT THAT MUST NOURISH US. EVIDENTLY WE MUST STRIVE TO BE THE FIERCE REDEEMER OF MAN, YET WHAT WILL REDEEM US?’

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,982 posts
Spoiler

• Lord_Caerolion, fire golem and WolfLogic like this

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,240 posts

I don't think he's really wrong in principle

Spoiler

• mc warhammer, DarKnight, Ingo Pech and 1 other like this

talos402000

talos402000

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 102 posts

Spoiler

Your actually Dan under a pseudonym, aren't you?

The Lion strode through the Halls of Hell;
Across his path grim shadows fell
Of many a howling, nameless shape
Daemons with dripping jaws agape.
The darkness shuddered with scream and yell
When the Lion stalked through the Halls of Hell.

Scammel

Scammel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 535 posts

Because if they can change lore at the drop of a hat it makes the lore worthless. It sometimes makes whole books, and stories and entire painted armies worthless. It makes the desire to invest in actual new lore meaningless because it is in itself meaningless.

Hm, I don't think I can honestly recommend this book then. It's fantastic - there's wonderful character moments, great dialogue, and scenes of both glorious and tender humanity... but there are potentially some lore contradictions, so it sounds like it could be worthless.

Edited by Scammel, 09 April 2020 - 07:00 AM.

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,544 posts
  • Faction: Inkspillers

Hm, I don't think I can honestly recommend this book then. It's fantastic - there's wonderful character moments, great dialogue, and scenes of both glorious and tender humanity... but there are potentially some lore contradictions, so it sounds like it could be worthless.

I can't tell if this is sincere or god-tier deadpan.
  • Sandlemad, fire golem, Vazzy and 1 other like this

Humble scrivener (alternate Episode IX attempt now in-progress), caretaker of the Lightning Bearers and member of the Broken Throne alt-Heresy project

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,982 posts
Spoiler

• fire golem and WolfLogic like this

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,982 posts

Spoiler

• WolfLogic likes this

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,469 posts

idk if they have 2 dads, but they got 4 uncles

• DarKnight, Shield-Captain and Kelborn like this

'WHEN WE CONFRONTED THE CORRUPTED, HOMICIDAL HORUS WHO ONCE USED TO SHINE LIKE THE BRIGHTEST STAR, WHO USED TO BE OUR BELOVED FAVOURITE – WHEN THE FATE OF THE GALAXY HUNG BY A THREAD – WERE WE NOT COMPELLED TO EXPEL ALL COMPASSION? ALL LOVE? ALL JOY? THOSE WENT AWAY. HOW ELSE COULD WE HAVE ARMOURED OURSELVES? EXISTENCE IS TORMENT, A TORMENT THAT MUST NOURISH US. EVIDENTLY WE MUST STRIVE TO BE THE FIERCE REDEEMER OF MAN, YET WHAT WILL REDEEM US?’

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,240 posts

Spoiler

Edited by DarkChaplain, 09 April 2020 - 08:48 AM.

• DarKnight and Enosh like this

Enosh

Enosh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 52 posts

Spoiler

Spoiler

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,469 posts

Spoiler

good points, but my cynical brain says that the adb waifu effect would still be rampant in fandom

but now you have me waiting for the novella on larraman and his wonderful organ

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,398 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
Spoiler

• Silent Observant, Roomsky and WolfLogic like this

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,469 posts

Spoiler

it also shows how much they all hook into the emperor's personality cult that they even want to attribute paternal titles to themselves and each other in the way he bestowed one on himself

wolf and animal dna was also potentially used, warp juice from each of the big 4...the only reason they don't claim the same titles is that they can't. though a part of my brain thinks chaos has tried to in some fashion?

there can also be nuances to those titles. you can be called "the father of modern science" without actually thinking you the baby daddy. it's semantic

Edited by mc warhammer, 09 April 2020 - 10:05 AM.

• aa.logan and bluntblade like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users