Question on Hover Mode and model basing

Berzul

Hey, so... This might be a very dumb question, but the guy that tried to pull this one was SO convinced he was right, I cannot help but pose the question here to see if there is indeed some rule I am missing or ignorant of.

So, the deal is, my opponent had a Storm Talon on the table. As he deployed, he stated that all Astartes Ships MUST DEPLOY ON HOVER MODE.

Then he proceeded to take it off of the base (you know, the translucid leg the ship is placed on?), and then deploy it on the ground behind some ruins.

His argument was that A HOVER MODE FLIER IS NOT FLYING AND MUST BE PLACED ON THE GROUND.

He even argued that this was the reason the model had landing gear and all.

... So, I just sternly refused to allow this, as it presented what I pointed out to be an obvious unfair advantage. Which he insisted was the point of doing this with the model (i.e.: hiding it out of line of sight turn one).

In the end, he relented.

But was adamant that I was the one that was on the wrong.

... Is there actually such a set of rules?

That (a) flyers with hover mode for an astartes chapter MUST be deployed in hover, and (b) that when in hover the model has to be taken off the base and be instead placed on the ground?

Can he show you that rule?

This is the normal friendly way to resolve it. You make a claim, please show me where is says you can do that in the rulebook or codex.

40k is a permissive rule set. It tells you what you *can* do, not what you *can't do*. If it doesn't say you *can* do it, then you *can't* do it.

Simple counter ....the rules state all measurements are to and from a base unless the model has a rule in the data sheet like waveserpents do.

So if his model has no base you can’t measure to or from it so it can’t move, shoot or otherwise interact with anything else...

Now as ciler said if the model had rules forcing it to deploy in a set mode then that would be in the models data sheet and your opponent could have shown you it! Same argument for deploying off the base... (this is why tournaments say you need to have the publications with you....) can’t prove special rules* then you play by the core rules..

* I mean ever knight sized model has the rule about cover on their data sheets....