Custodes "Final" Rules: Choices for Telemon and Caladius

Prot

Folks,

I know this is super short notice....

I am trying to field my Telemon(s) for the first time since fully painting them (if you missed it:)

Telemon-Pair-1.jpg?resize=1024%2C689&ssl

(more pics: HERE

Anyway the point is I know these guys got hammered a bit by rules, and so did the Caldius but I want to field both in a 2K list... today!

I at least want 1 Telemon, and my (primed) Caldius in for support. Plus a Battalion

This game will be pretty hardcore though. I believe it will be tournament level... Orks, or GSC, or Astra? 

So for the Telemon I have the Arachnus Storm bolter/ Caestus with Twin Ejector, and Storm Cannon , or I can do two Storm Cannons. What's the preference? Or is it really a coin flip at this point?

Second, loosely related question:

I'm running Virtus Praetors for objectives. So I've got some speed, but I've opted to leave out the second Battalion of Admech (my normal 'go to' for the second Bat.)

Instead I've decided to run 3 Allarus. (gulp... they're more than the the Rusty 17?)

Bad idea? Thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance to anyone who chimes in. The game is today, but I thought I'd try just in case, to get some advice.

Folks,

I know this is super short notice....

I am trying to field my Telemon(s) for the first time since fully painting them (if you missed it:)

Telemon-Pair-1.jpg?resize=1024%2C689&ssl

(more pics: HERE

Anyway the point is I know these guys got hammered a bit by rules, and so did the Caldius but I want to field both in a 2K list... today!

I at least want 1 Telemon, and my (primed) Caldius in for support. Plus a Battalion

This game will be pretty hardcore though. I believe it will be tournament level... Orks, or GSC, or Astra? 

So for the Telemon I have the Arachnus Storm bolter/ Caestus with Twin Ejector, and Storm Cannon , or I can do two Storm Cannons. What's the preference? Or is it really a coin flip at this point?

Second, loosely related question:

I'm running Virtus Praetors for objectives. So I've got some speed, but I've opted to leave out the second Battalion of Admech (my normal 'go to' for the second Bat.)

Instead I've decided to run 3 Allarus. (gulp... they're more than the the Rusty 17?)

Bad idea? Thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance to anyone who chimes in. The game is today, but I thought I'd try just in case, to get some advice.

Personally not a fan of the Allarus since the Aquilons exist and are far superior at everything they do, and can be easily kitbashed from the Allarus kit with some termie fists and storm bolters.

Personally speaking the Telemon has gotten utterly shafted, so any list running one or more is at a small disadvantage IMO. The Caladius is also less than ideal now for heavy armoured targets (T8) but is still surprisingly good at clearing troops with those bolt cannons. The only thing Custodes can do well is survive, so I'd not bother with the Allarus and just make the toughest most awkward to remove battalion you can. Sit on objectives and play the cards. Don't bother trying to march up the board to a gunline because you won't succeed at much. Hide as much as you can behind or within ruins and just make it incredibly difficult for you opponent to achieve anything. Everytime I play Custodes highly aggressively and charge right into my opponent, I almost always lose unless they're not great at piloting their list and are easily rattled by some big shiny models.

Alright... well thanks for the honesty. I haven't played my Custodes since the FW rules were finalized. It's kind of sad really. I want to get these freshly painted units on the table though so I'll try something I guess. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I second Rcoon, durability is what we have going for us. I like running the Allarus as hqs if I don't want to use a bike. I also agree with him on the Telemons. They look great though, and are definitely useable. If I had two that looked that good I'd always run them lol. Edited by MustertheCustards

Thanks. I did find my Telemon catching a lot of fire power that probably would have hit the bikes otherwise. That being said, I am finding that perhaps a second unit of bikes would be a better investment.

I love the Telemon model. It's just really...sad and frustrating that it's in an a very hard to justify point value.

I finished my Caladius tank. I love how it turned out, but again... very frustrating in game.

I have two tanks, if you get the long deployment and castle them with a banner and Valoris they are still great. Have to leverage their 60 inch range, but they're still strong. Unlike your troops or Telemons a misplay or bad luck will definitely see them off the table. Might try a castle with the tank and Telemons. Play cagey and control space, and stay out of los. It can be an uphill battle, but you outrage a lot of big guns, even with the 48 inch range. Deployment is incredibly important with the army, because you don't really have the speed to relocate with them. Unless you have lots of bikes, flyers, or grav stuff. The army can be very unforgiving sometimes. I bet there's a way to make them work at least somewhat. 2 Tellies and a grav tank in a -1 banner can take a boatload of hits. Rerolling a 5++ gives you 50% shot, use it to hedge your bets if you need to make a critical save.

Edited by MustertheCustards

I gotchu fam. I run a Custodes Bat list for 2k points with 2 Telemon Twins.

Trajann
Bike Captain with Auric Aquilis, Hurricane Bolter Superior Creation

x4 Custodian Guard 3x Spear, 1x Sword and Board

x3 Sag Guard with Misericordia

x3 Sag Guard with Misericordia

Vexillus Praetor, Misericordia, Vexilla Magnifica

x5 Vertus Praetors with Hurricane Bolters

Telemon with Fist/Arachnus Storm Cannon

Telemon with x2 Arachnus Storm Cannon

Having both Telemons start under the Magnifica, and ensuring turn 1 that they stay near the banner, and Trajann, lets me get decent anti-elite and anti-armor firepower. Sag Guard work well as objective holders as well. The bikers are the primary thrust, and anti-horde, accompanied by the Shield Captain on Bike.

If I do my positioning right, I should be able to ensure the whole army (minus the sag guard who operate independently) has rerolls, and the banner coverage turn 1. Telemons at -1 to hit, 2+/4++, possibly in cover are really hard to shift.

Edited by BaconCouch

I’m not entirely sold on Sag Guard. Wouldn’t you be better off with Guardians and maybe pull something else to get A Guard bat for 5 more CP and let the guard hold the rear objectives?

Just a thought as I really hate leaving Custodes on rear objectives.

That said I think Dual Telemon are are a better idea but it’s just so bloody expensive.

I haven't assembled and painted my sag yet. 54 points with the shanks for 4 str 5 ap-2 close combat attacks and super heavy bolters can be useful. I think the concept is they're engaged for more turns, and still decent up close. Losing 3++ from shields is a big trade-off in my opinion, but I haven't tried it Edited by MustertheCustards

The thing Sag guard having going for them is they can contribute from range. I can split a squad off to take an objective from the main body of the army.
I think a mix is the best way to go, but remember, sag guard still have that standard 4++ from being battle forged, they're tough to remove.

Meanwhile the gun telemon can stay babysitting another objective, and hopefully never needs to move. The fist/gun moves each turn, but stays near rerolls.