Conversion inches (in game) to meters (real)

Whitelion

I liked the old scale explanation from the WHFB rule book... basically it said something to the effect of, 

we use one scale for the models so we can get good looking models

one scale for terrain so it makes an impact on the game

one scale for movement so as to make it so everything has a chance

& one scale for weapon ranges because if we used the movement scale youd need to play on a tennis court for the range of a longbow

Since the measurements in inches are not reliable, then could we use the height of the titan as the unit of measurement? Considering the size of the affected area and comparing it with the height of the titan.Comparing to the height of the titan, is the explosion radius two or three times greater? Still greater?

Since the measurements in inches are not reliable, then could we use the height of the titan as the unit of measurement? Considering the size of the affected area and comparing it with the height of the titan.Comparing to the height of the titan, is the explosion radius two or three times greater? Still greater?

see my post above yours.... the person who wrote the comment is the same guy who wrote most of GWs rules in the 80s, 90 and early 00s..... 

basically nope - there is no correlation between model size* & distance & ranges - The whole system(s) that GW produce (and most table top war games to be fair) are abstract.

*example look at 2nd/3rd Ed guardsmen compared to the latest scions Or between guardsmen and space marines.... theres not even correlation between the models them selves....

I wouldn't look to the game's scale to get some realism concept - a bolter only fires about 40 yards/35 meters in game scale, which is exceptionally short for a rifle-sized weapon.

Doing that and with at least an x10 multiplier, 400/350 yards/meters and its looking a bit more realistic at least. 

Yeah, as others have said, the various scales used in the game are incongruent for the sake of playability. This is true of all wargames, really. You're probably better off using the roleplaying game books as resources for "real world" numbers, but that has shortcomings as well. Numbers generally have never really been GW's forte - in the fiction and background, the authors often just seem to pick values that sound impressive but are nonsensical in real world terms, and there's often disagreement among sources. Which is fine - it's fantasy, after all. Suspension of disbelief and all that.

I've noticed that you've been trying to track down lots of numbers related to the 40K universe on these boards. I get it. I'm also a realism, data, and numbers guy. But I ultimately had to turn that part of my brain off to enjoy 40K. You'll drive yourself nuts trying to determine the "real" values of...anything, really. If you're writing fan fiction or unit backgrounds or something, I'd suggest either avoiding numbers altogether wherever possible and using descriptive language ("the titan loomed over the surrounding village" rather than "at 28.7 meters, the titan exceeded the height of the local shanties by a factor of 5..."), or if you NEED a number, just make one up that fits your narrative purposes and personal sense of scale.

Alternatively, use real-world analogues and just scale them up by a factor of grimdark. Based on your original question, I assume you're trying to determine the "real" blast radius of a volcano or melta cannon shot? Looking at the real world can provide some clues. First, we know from the game rules that these are the premier anti-armor titan weapons. Looking at the real world , anti-armor weapons generally have very small, or largely incidental blast radii (otherwise, you're wasting energy). So...it's a good bet that melta and volcano cannon blast radii are much smaller in the "real world" than is indicated by the game rules. They are likely given blast radii in the game in order to balance the fact that they are one-shot weapons. Without blasts, they would be much less reliable, and thus less useful and attractive weapons.

Anyway, that was a bit of a ramble, and I know that doesn't really help with your specific question. TL;DR: I wouldn't stress about the "official" numbers too much. You'll just end up with a headache.