The ultimate guardsmen.

STTAB

With the new inquisition stuff giving you a Psychic power to give an infantry unit a 5++ and the Blackstone Fortress Psyker giving you the +1 to hit powers, you can really buff up a guard squad.

What are all the buffs and help you can give a guard squad, what’s worth it?

For example;

2 Guard squads, Vostroya, plasma pistol, plasma gun

1cp consolidate

5++ from Ordo Malleus Inquisitor

+1 to save from Psychic Barrier

-1 to be hit in shooting (Nightshroud)

+1 to hit, Aradia Madellan

Immune to moral, Mental Fortitude

Reroll ones, Yarrick

First Rank Fire Second Rank Fire

Reroll ones to wound, Laurels of command attempt of Bring it down

+1 to hit (Vostroyan stratagem)

+1 armour save, take cover 1cp, when targeted.

Just for sillies, that’s a 20 man squad that has a 3+, 4++, 6 plasma shots, 36 las gun shots, hitting on 2s, rerolling 1s, rerolling 1s to wound, immune to moral.

Anything else you’d stack or how would you build a silly or practical buff stack for guardsmen?

Hey, I was just saying it could be done.

In all seriousness I’m already bringing 2 Astropaths with Nightshroud and psychic barrier, for 1cp you can have your 55 point Ordo Malleus Inquisitor with 2 cast, 2 powers and 2 deny.

I’m already running lots of Valkyries and the Emperors Blade Assault company so I can deliver a 20 man consolidated infantry squad for a T1 charge, which has won me games getting them to a 4++ for an extra 55 points that also gets me a smite Or deny overwatch and LD 10 is totally worth it.

What I’ll probably try next;

Straken

Priest

Valkyrie

Taurox (Emperors Blade)

Guard squads

Advance Taurox

1cp disembark after moving (gets guardsmen 19-24”)

Valkyrie grav chute guardsmen, Straken, Priest, our with 9”, consolidate with Taurox squad.

Inquisitor, 5++ on consolidated squad

Deny overwatch of shooting is scary Charge Taurox and/or Valkyrie if not

Astropath +1 to save

Astropath -1 to be hit

FRFSRF

Charge and fight. If you are up against a gun line, you shoot out their screen and the Catachans go in and touch all the non fly stuff.

If they stay in combat, they have 20 LD10 Catachans on 4++ with +2 attacks who can fight in the shooting phase and the combat phase, if they fall back to shoot them you can get them to 3+, 4++, -1 to be hit.

I actually love this idea!

Although I would consider maybe trimming it down a little bit, I am looking at something like

2x Vostroyan Guard Squads with Plasma gun, Plasma Pistol and Lascannon.

5++ power

+1 save power

+1 Armour save strat

+ 1 to hit strat

-1 to hit power

Junior Officer to order them 

That is not too pricey, in points and CP, and reduces on the diminishing returns. The best thing is that you could keep adding more units to that squad each turn. if the enemy doesn't shoot them for a turn or two, which is possible as you will have much easy targets to kill, then its possible you could get up a 40 man blob of doom!

Problem with Bullgryn is that Marines and Thunderfire Cannons are everywhere with their slow you down strat.

Your Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor could be rocking 2 powers, using the other one to ignore morale for your Blob... but the make a non vehichle do friendly fire or make a unit ignore overwatch are very tempting.

If your going to make a blob then laurels is a good move.

I like the idea of the Lascanon in there too.

Tallarn could be good with the ambush stratagem with 2 infantry squads and an Emperors Fist tank commander with demolisher and dual flamers (can order to move before or after shooting) for a second wave.

I’ve been glancing at my dusty Grey Knights box, thinking Voldus and a max unit of Interceptors and 2 min units would be good since they can get to a 4++ now (5++ from inquisitor, +1 with sanctuary) and you make your opponent burn their Denys on 6 GK powers and turn one you knock a hole in their chaff with Vortex if doom and 84 storm bolter shots (40 of which are S5, -1 ap)

Sairence, sure, man for man you have worse guardsmen for the same price but could be useful to drop 30 bodies on an objective, have a frontline 4++ screen, tar pit your enemies line or a big midfield speed bump.

I won’t be using them, it’s stressful enough playing mono guard against the clock, I’m back looking at some soup just to speed me up.

FYI, Hector Rex doesn’t have an assigned WT, so you can choose the Ordo Malleus one and bring him up to 3 cast, 4 deny (with +1 within 12”) and 3 powers know. Hard choice between him at 100 points and a basic 55 point inquisitor.

Sairence, sure, man for man you have worse guardsmen for the same price but could be useful to drop 30 bodies on an objective, have a frontline 4++ screen, tar pit your enemies line or a big midfield speed bump.

I won’t be using them, it’s stressful enough playing mono guard against the clock, I’m back looking at some soup just to speed me up.

FYI, Hector Rex doesn’t have an assigned WT, so you can choose the Ordo Malleus one and bring him up to 3 cast, 4 deny (with +1 within 12”) and 3 powers know. Hard choice between him at 100 points and a basic 55 point inquisitor.

I would assume that Hector Rex would need to take the ordo malleus trait. He is from that ordo. Honestly I'd only ever take him if I were running Death Korps. If you remember, he was the Inquisitor who took command of the Kriegers on Vraks.

If he doesn't have an assigned one he could take the Ordo-one or one of the other three. There's the whole issue with his datasheet not being updated, so his rules are referring back to Index for what he has access to, as opposed to WD. So it's a bit unclear what he's allowed to take.

For conscripts you now have 3 ways of ignoring moral and you can deliver them with the relic dagger or the Tallarn strat.

Mhh... using both relic & stratagem: Officer w/dagger, 4x 30 conscripts.

Airdrop a ministorum priest and other support characters from a valkyrie.

Would be nasty, but I could imagine better uses for 120 infantry models.

Bringing 120 dudes in reserve is mental but you need to think about stuff like this. A lot of stuff is going to have to be off them menu if your going to beat new marines in events

I’ve just accepted that;

vehichles are a no go unless they have an invuln save.

Armour saves are basically meaningless.

Arriving from deep strike to charge or shoot with 12” isn’t really viable.

I’m thinking of going back to soup, bringing the guard as massed bodies with character support that can blob together and rush up to hold objectives and overwhelm the opponent with bodies.

I’m thinking a ring of 3+,4++, -1 to hit guardsmen moving up the field with Sammael in Sableclaw + Talonmaster, T2 drop in Lucius Plasma Kataphrons, surrounded by 30 conscripts, onAn objective for a 2+4++ on the Battle Servitors.