Astorath : Angel of Mercy - Novella

Frater Antodeniel

Since no one else did it, i think that i must^^. So here is the Astorath : Angel of Mercy topic.

BLWeekenderReveals-Nov10-astorath4srhtdf

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/10/black-library-weekender-2019-the-reveals/

"Guy Haley continues what seems to be on a quest to write about every Blood Angels hero in the novella Astorath: Angel of Mercy".

So something I thought was interesting from the BL foot notes was that they commented Mephiston was first to cross the Rubicon because Dante was too important. We all know Dante will eventually be Primaris but with this book do we see Primaris Astorath coming before Dante in model and lore form?

Theorycrafting aside. I am SO SO happy Guy Haley is continuing his Blood Angel writing. His short stories about Astorath were quite compelling to this point

Edited by Chronos1985

Yeah, I'm also very excited that Haley is taking care of BA now. I'm not a huge fan of James Swallow. Probably just me, beacause I know that many people like his writing. Also, the fact that GW coordinates things with BL authors a lot more now than they did a few years ago, means that the lore will be more consistent across different sources.

do we see Primaris Astorath coming before Dante in model and lore form?

I think primarising two flayed skin-armoured dudes right after one another would be too much. I'd rather see the angelic gold muscle armoured primaris first!

The thread breaking down the upcoming works for BA fiction (in this thread I believe) read itself like Dante wasn’t actually going primaris because he is so old. Still, let’s hope for a sweet new model for the old man!

I think primarising two flayed skin-armoured dudes right after one another would be too much. I'd rather see the angelic gold muscle armoured primaris first!

The thread breaking down the upcoming works for BA fiction (in this thread I believe) read itself like Dante wasn’t actually going primaris because he is so old. Still, let’s hope for a sweet new model for the old man!

See I read it as he's not going Primaris (yet). It seems it's a yet because Darkness in the Blood and City of Light was written while this supplement was being made. His next book I imagine will be about Primaris Dante, and my best guess is around the same general time frame of our next codex featuring our new units. Business outweighs lore, so I fully expect primaris Dante and for Guy Haley having be forced to 'figure out' a new inner conflict for new Dante.

Not my preference, but just a hunch. I prefer his old man conflict remain and not be fixed with becoming primaris. I am sure Guy Haley will make it work though.

See I read it as he's not going Primaris (yet). It seems it's a yet because Darkness in the Blood and City of Light was written while this supplement was being made. His next book I imagine will be about Primaris Dante, and my best guess is around the same general time frame of our next codex featuring our new units. Business outweighs lore, so I fully expect primaris Dante and for Guy Haley having be forced to 'figure out' a new inner conflict for new Dante.

Not my preference, but just a hunch. I prefer his old man conflict remain and not be fixed with becoming primaris. I am sure Guy Haley will make it work though.

Yeah, I can see the time frame being the key turning point. It was said that you'd need to find a new challenge for him once Dante gets embiggened, so apparently it's quite a big thing if that's a challenge to a marine who's lived and fought in the 40k universe for what, roundabout 1500 years now?

Pretty sure he'll still be all up and kicking kiddies off his lawn, even after the procedure.

As long as it's a good model, I'll most certainly buy it - no matter if Dante is Primaris or not. I do think that it's inevitable he'll be primaris, though.

I think it was pretty clear that there was a bit of disconnect between what Haley/Hinks would like to do or think is logical to do and what they are allowed to do.

They'd either retire Dante from active duty because he's so old (even for his standards) or make him a Primaris but they can't either because GW wants to keep the current model around for a bit longer and Marines obviously don't just retire. However GW also won't give them any plausible reason for why he isn't crossing the Rubicon Primaris they could use because there simply is none aside of GW not planning to release a Primaris model for him just yet (indicated by the "it’s a big surgery. Mephiston does it because he has to. Dante is too important to risk, perhaps.")

Yeah, I can see the time frame being the key turning point. It was said that you'd need to find a new challenge for him once Dante gets embiggened, so apparently it's quite a big thing if that's a challenge to a marine who's lived and fought in the 40k universe for what, roundabout 1500 years now?

Pretty sure he'll still be all up and kicking kiddies off his lawn, even after the procedure.

As long as it's a good model, I'll most certainly buy it - no matter if Dante is Primaris or not. I do think that it's inevitable he'll be primaris, though.

Agreed - I would love for him to look like the Sanguinor-esque looking avatar depicted on the cover of the LE Darkness in the Blood. Dante with wings would be amazing in my opinion. 

Not my cup of tea! The wings are okay on Astorath and the Sanga, but on Dante I prefer a regular jump pack. That’s his style in my eyes, and also because I find it weird to wear wings that do nothing other than looks. Yes yes, my SG and Astorath all have wings, but why you would wear that is a mystery to me. I think Dante is a lot more pragmatic in that regard, and will have the most finely-crafted armour in the Imperium (after Bobby G), but I hope they’ll skip the wings. :D

Wouldn't mind reading the Astorath stuff!  Would be nice to see old characters not turn Primaris (ie Dante), but then that wouldn't be inline with selling the latest greatest stuff.  I'm just afraid that golden primaris sanguinary guard might feel a bit like custodes?

Not my cup of tea! The wings are okay on Astorath and the Sanga, but on Dante I prefer a regular jump pack. That’s his style in my eyes, and also because I find it weird to wear wings that do nothing other than looks. Yes yes, my SG and Astorath all have wings, but why you would wear that is a mystery to me. I think Dante is a lot more pragmatic in that regard, and will have the most finely-crafted armour in the Imperium (after Bobby G), but I hope they’ll skip the wings. :biggrin.:

Toys for boys! Dante is too old for wings :D 

I think GW has a great model going forwarding. Release models with Lore. They are releasing models with new campaigns in the lore as well as when new books come out. So I feel that Primaris Astorath could very well be provided along with his book depending on the release date. I think Dante will be Primaris when we get our Supplement. I'm expecting it late 2020. They've been focusing on Space Marines for almost four months straight now. They need to introduce some xenos stuff and then the rotation will start I think. 

More importantly. They mentioned Gabriel Seth and that they have specific plans for him. Woop! I will be picking up Dante and other books about the Blood Angels in the coming months as well. I am really enjoying Guy Haley's works. He is starting to reach ADB's level in my mind. Starting to.. :D Still need to read more books by him to make sure. But Devastation of Baal was outstanding and I'm really looking forward to his past and future releases.

I feel like Haley has proven himself to be a great world builder. His 40k novels all feel coherent with eachother wne it's like he is fleshing the setting out very well. His consistency with descriptions and the way things work is very very good and he has created a lot of great new lore.

I think ADB does dialogue better than anyone else at BL.