Inquisition battleforged?

Do you think that to make the Inquisition a better option that you should be able to have a battleforged army with a certain capped number of Inquisition units.  Those units don't get any of the special rules for having say an all guard army and visa versa but the guard for instance can still benefit from their special rule for being battleforged.  Do people think this is fair or would it cause too much :cussery?

I'm somewhat leery of the fact that inquisitors don't interfere with Combat Doctrines. I don't want us to return to the days when every imperium army had Coteaz. I don't want inquisition to just be an imperium supplement but be at least somewhat viable as its own army.

Maybe you could offset it, if you want say an inquisitor in your army and you still want combat doctrines for example then you have to pay a certain amount of command points to fit him in.  If for instances it cost 3 CP's you would seriously think about taking him in that regard and it wouldn't be an auto include.  There are probably other ways to offset that but that's the only thing I can think of just now.

The second you cause Inquisition models to completely shaft your battleforged status or doctrine status in any army, you instantly make Inquisition irrelevant. I would run Inquisition units if it didn't cost me my battleforged status by running the odd one or two units within detachments, because I simply would not run a separate detachment of Inquisition - mainly due to the limit of 3 detachments.

My preference would be the opposite of librisrouge's - I don't want full-blown Inquisition armies such as we saw with Codex: Witch Hunters and Codex: Daemonhunters. I want an Inquisitor and their retinue added to an IMPERIUM army; and if that army would be Battle Forged without the Inquisitor/retinue, it would retain its Battle Forged nature (though the Inquisitor/retinue wouldn't benefit from that).

The exception to the above would be a combined Inquisitor/Militarum Tempestus Scions (representing Inquisitorial Storm Troopers) army. That would be the quintessential "Inquisition army" per the lore (and might provide a unique Regimental Doctrine).

I do agree with librisrouge's sentiment that Inquisitors, whether one in particular or the range of options, shouldn't become a "must have" element of an IMPERIUM army.

Yeah I think the rule would only work one way, adding units to an Inquisition army and the Inquisition army still getting its battle forged rules would not be reasonable.  The main reason I think it'd be good, is that Inquisitors have ultimate authority; before the Emperor himself and the Custodes, so them either working with or for an Imperial army wouldn't stop them from working the way they usually operate.  I see battleforge rules as 'this is how the army acts as themselves without impediments or interference with their command structure'.  If you have allies you don't get the rules because their are two competing/different command structures and authorities and so they can't act like they normally operate, either by the way they have to work together or reasons of command.  But an Inquisitor basically comes and and says I'm running things now, so there is no confusing or competing authorities, the Inquisition tells the Imperial armies HQ what to do and then the HQ goes about and does it.  Also I love playing fluffy lists, Inquisitors are always great for a good fluff list.

Edited by TorvaldTheMild

My preference would be the opposite of librisrouge's - I don't want full-blown Inquisition armies such as we saw with Codex: Witch Hunters and Codex: Daemonhunters. I want an Inquisitor and their retinue added to an IMPERIUM army; and if that army would be Battle Forged without the Inquisitor/retinue, it would retain its Battle Forged nature (though the Inquisitor/retinue wouldn't benefit from that).

The exception to the above would be a combined Inquisitor/Militarum Tempestus Scions (representing Inquisitorial Storm Troopers) army. That would be the quintessential "Inquisition army" per the lore (and might provide a unique Regimental Doctrine).

I do agree with librisrouge's sentiment that Inquisitors, whether one in particular or the range of options, shouldn't become a "must have" element of an IMPERIUM army.

See, I completely disagree with a possible caveat. I don't want Codex: Witch Hunters or Daemonhunters either. That's because I want Sisters of Battle, Grey Knights, and Death Watch to maintain their own codex. I want the typical inquisition units, plus the sort of things that they can regularly draw upon, such as stormtroopers, gunships, transports, etc., to be in one codex. I think inquisition justifies this moreso than many things that do have codices currently. I'd want there to be Ordo based regimental doctrines, even going so far as to have a few of the minoris ordos fleshed out (Ordo Sepulturum anyone?) and more robust rules for characters to be varied. I also want HSLGs to be 1 pt.

I know this sounds a bit backwards... but they could have put more keywords on the INQs

ie Cortez should have had <GK / AdMil> 

Greyfax should have had <AS / AdMil>

So you could take Cortez in a greyknights or Ad Mil list but not a sisters or SM list

then for the generic INQs you leave as they are sort of thing

There are a lot of highly competitive, and successful Marine armies already losing Doctrines by combining detachments from other Chapter Supplements. 

So if the options aren't really powerful enough to entice the player to lose one of their advantages, I just don't see it being an issue.

I think the challenge GW always has is to create this unique 'helper' from the Inquisition that is representative enough of the power of his office, but doesn't make some armies 'better' and others 'broken'. 

A unit like this is huge for some armies that need gap filling. Don't punish them for taking it.... even if it is a difficult balancing act. Look at Assassins. Absolutely tons of marine players were using them right up until the latest marine codex, now I see none in marine armies. Almost like a switch went off.