Astartes - fanimation - account hacked. :(

StraightSilver

I couldn't find the specific thread for the Astartes animations so apologies for creating this one.

In case people didn't know the creator of Astartes has had his Youtube account hacked. :(

he appealed to Youtube to get his own account back.... and failed!!

There is currently an appeal on Twitter etc to get Youtube to reverse their decision and allow the original creator to get his account back.

Details here:

This is quite a big deal as his account has a lot of subscribers and views and it would take a lot of work to get them back.

This is why we can't have nice things :cry:

I agree. I hate to think this is due to the success of the project. It got a mention on the Corridor Crew channel fairly recently and received a lot of praise. sadly I think that meant it got "out in the wild" as it were and somebody has taken advantage. I suspect this means the rather nasty individual is now able to take control of any revenue Astartes may have generated. :sad.:

Edited by StraightSilver

This isn't uncommon at all right now with YouTube's current policies. It's happening all over the place to creators of almost every level. YouTube has seemingly left these accounts to die and points to the user policy changes they've made recently in their defense.

On topic: This is perhaps the worst thing that could happen to this project at this stage. Hopefully the creator has master copies of his previous works. I hope this all works out for them.

Edited by Wulf Vengis

Stuff like that is the #1 reason I never re-use passwords and even have different mail addresses for different sites.

Also, obligatory xkcd:

https://www.xkcd.com/936/

That aside, I hope the creator will be able to resolve this, one way (regain account access) or another (repopulate new account and get old account removed).

I was given a link to check out that was posted on the by the Astartes or "Ciao" channel. Needless to say you shouldn't click any links by this YT account until it has been recovered.

However I checked it out, and it is of course malicious. I suspect that it is ransomware. However I do not have a full forensic lab at my home. I took safety precautions and I don't recommend anyone do this. Stay safe brothers and keep up the fight.

Stuff like that is the #1 reason I never re-use passwords and even have different mail addresses for different sites.

Also, obligatory xkcd:

https://www.xkcd.com/936/

While that comic is correct, it's also mostly outdated. These days just use a password-manager of your choice. It should be able to randomly generate passwords of any length too so you don't even have to remember them anymore. You can secure those managers either via password (then of course it matters again) or something like your fingerprint or such (most newer smartphones/tablets and laptops have fingerprint scanners these days but you could also buy some cheap for your desktop PC).

=][= The discussion is straying from what is acceptable under the B&C rules and there's not much we can do about this situation other than let people know, which is happening thanks to prominent members of the community.

As such this thread has fulfilled its purpose and can be left to rest. =][=