After a long time i'm returning to the WH40K fold more for the hobby than playing.
I had to get rid of a lot of stuff to make space and r/l reasons. (a move for one)
I did keep the collection of stuff I had gathered over the years for a Night Lords project that I never got around to.
I have quite a lot of Space Marines (vanilla,) on the sprue, some Space Wolves on sprue, a bit of CSMs on Sprue, roughly 2 sets of Dark Vengeance chaos set and a few Dark Vengeance Dark Angels lying around.
This means I also have like 2 Hellbrutes I think to field.
A handful of metal CSMs that are OOP. (black blister with golden warhammer logo)
1 box of Assault Marines.
1 metal sorcerer.
A box of Scenic bases.
And... a lot of Night Lord conversion bitz. Both the GW ones and some external ones.
Shoulderpads, creepy helmets and quite a lot of jetpacks.
My plan was and is to go for the 'plunder armor' through the years. And go for the popular interpretation from the novels where Night Lords are super elite marines desperately looting supplies from the enemy but also ideas from standalone novels such as the use of cultist forces etc.
I believe the Carcharadon novel had some nice stuff in it about the Night Lords using paramilitary / semi disciplined Cultists. The Black Hand or something? I may be mistaken.
Now due to financial reasons I want to try and keep the costs limited only picking up a thing or 2 once in a while.
1) Given that it'll take quite a while to finish this project I'm hoping to keep things somewhat simple and thematic. Preferably with a focus on footsloggers.
2) I will invest in good scenic bases for the cultists and heroes -> adds a bit of flavor.
Now I did have questions for you guys.
I want the list to work but not be hypercompetitive. But at least decent.
I'm going for safe choices where possible that will remain valid long term.
Do you guys have some tips on:
1) Small or great CSM squads? 5 or 10 man squads and what weapon combinations? I was surprised to find that unlike in the days of long ago a lot of people seem to like to play with 5 man CSM squads.
2) What weapons/equipment should I give the basic CSMs? Back when I played it was a good thing to give them sword and pistol. I seem to remember people liking to field them with the Khornate and Chaos Undivided icon.
3) How big would you field Raptor squads and with what armaments?
4) Cultists should be barebones equipment wise? Or as upgraded and big as possible?
5) The Dark Vengeance guys are clearly Chosen. Any suggestions on their use?
Tactic wise. If I wanted to go heavy on footsloggers. Would this work somewhat decently:
1) Protective meatshield(s) of Cultists. (2x 20 man groups?)
2) Havocs using Lascannons and the likes I steal from Space Marine sprues for firepower.
3) Several small squads of kitbashed Raptors to swoop in and swarm isolated units?
4) Follow up the cultists wave with the CSMs, who in turn are followed by 2 or so squads of Chosen and a suitable HQ or 2? (basically a 3 wave offensive with it's flanks protected by the Hellbrutes and the Raptors?)
5) Finally there was a new Start Collecting Box announced and a Strike Force.
The strike force is good value for money (but pricey still!) and i'm no longer a big fan of Rhino and Termies. (used them in the past too much in my Black Legion and Dark Angels)
The Start Collecting set is affordable and looks like it might mix in well with what I got. Though supposedly they're not very kitbasheable?
What do you people think of it in the context of Night Lords?
6) I am very unfamiliar with the units in the Start Collecting Box. Apparently it's recycled from Shadowspear?
Is it worth doubling up on this set?
I noticed there are possessed in there which were never that good. Are they now?
And Obliterators which I used with my old Black Legion (my first 40K army at least 15 years ago!!!) but they were not that loved.
7) Bonusquestion. Are Chaos Bikers better nowadays? They are expensive and in the past always lambasted as being awful. But they might fit the NL theme somewhat. And I never used bikes in the past.
Stupid questions probably...
But it has been a long time!
AVE DOMINUS NOX!!!