Stormboyz

XIXWYRMEXIX

Does anyone have any experiance with stormboyz this edition? I did some test games with them around 3 editions ago and they did not work out for me as at the time they were high points cost so I couldn't get enough in the list to use them the way I wanted to. Fast forward to now, and they are only 9 points a model compared to the boyz 7. That's only 2 points more for a jump pack. That's very doable.

I am debating on making a unit of them, but wanted to see if anyone here has used them. I have 35ish boyz not put together and am considering pulling a unit of boyz from my troops for extra bodies (I have a conversion plan or two to replace them), which would put me at roughly 60 bodies "extra". But I definitely do not want to do all that conversion work if they are not going to work out. I am in the process of putting together a new list for my army in this edition. My current plan is to upgrade my old list to "modern" times- Dread Mob list backed by the Green Tide. I can actually make a REAL Dread Mob list in this edition which fills my green heart with joy. I have literally wanted a Dread Mob for about 20 years. Force organizational charts in the before years always prevented this (3 heavy support slots only!). My current plan is for roughly 20 dreadnaughts dropping my kans, backed by 60-90ish boyz. This is not set in stone, I am still playing with the options. Definitely will be having 20 dreads though, even if I do not use all of them. I want the option to have that many for sure. 

I also currently have 8 OOP metal stormboyz, so I am already a third of the way to having a full unit.

Thoughts on the stormboyz?

I like them; but as a disclaimer I currently only have a unit of five due to budgetary reasons. Well, six now that I converted a nob for them. Basically for a unit of 30 you pay the same as you would for a Boyz mob + Weirdboy to Da Jump them. And of course since you can only cast one Da Jump per turn, it's nice to have other options. For Stormboyz you of course have the option to either deploy them on the table and get to the enemy that way, or deep strike. The latter works best if you're Evil Sunz since you get +1 to the charge range. If you play Goffs, Zagstruk makes them harder to shoot off the table via morale, so especially if you have multiple Stormboyz units I'd say he's well worth it - a footslogging Warboss will have trouble keeping up and will have to inflict D3 casualties to restore order, while Zagstruk doesn't.

Since I have such a minimal unit myself, they're pretty much intended to deep strike to harass a weak backline unit holding an objective or such. But overall they're just as killy as a normal boyz mob, and I feel the price for their added mobility is fair. The only problem of course being that they're not troops, but if you have all the troops sorted to get the CP you want/need (as well as other necessary things) and have the points left for them, then they're a nice addition. But personally I'd kill for a way to take them as troops!

My main ork list is badmoonz, I have played a badmoonz ork army since I started playing. Every time I have had any optional rules for playing as a badmoonz clan rule wise I have taken it. Clan rules have changed as the game went through different editions, codexes, white dwarf articals etc. Have not decided if I will use a different clan if I take the stormboyz. My entire army is themed around badmoonz and meks. Also other than Goffs I am not very interested in the other clans, they generally just do not fit my playstyle. If I make the storm boyz I would consider going Goffs in another detachment with Zagstruk as the HQ. I wouldn't be deep striking them, if I use them I would be using them as a distraction unit, engaging as fast as possible so they get focused on instead of what would be the real threat on turn 1.

I have played a full stormboyz list before as I said, 3 editions back there was a way to take them as troops. But the stormboyz were something crazy like 17 points a model then, so it just was not worth it points wise. For every one stormboy I could field 3 boyz, so after playing with it a few times I got rid of them. Now is different though with them being so cheap. I basically have my new list planned out for the most part, I am just considering different filler options for the rest of it. 

As you point out, Stormboyz are just two points more than a Choppa boy, and for the extra movement they give, that seems happily worth it. Sure, they also lose the bonus attack from Green Tide, but that is a small price to pay for getting across the table faster.

The problem I have is nothing to do with the unit itself, but my lists. You want to fill out battalions for CP, which means two things. 1) You're already taking boyz, and adding another large unit makes the army unwieldy; or 2) You're taking grots, meaning you also have to factor their points cost into the Stormboyz.

In the end, I just have a hard time fitting them into my lists. But, I want to. So much. I used them a lot in the index, and they are even faster now.

As you point out, Stormboyz are just two points more than a Choppa boy, and for the extra movement they give, that seems happily worth it. Sure, they also lose the bonus attack from Green Tide, but that is a small price to pay for getting across the table faster.

The problem I have is nothing to do with the unit itself, but my lists. You want to fill out battalions for CP, which means two things. 1) You're already taking boyz, and adding another large unit makes the army unwieldy; or 2) You're taking grots, meaning you also have to factor their points cost into the Stormboyz.

In the end, I just have a hard time fitting them into my lists. But, I want to. So much. I used them a lot in the index, and they are even faster now.

Yeah in previous editions they have always been really expensive points wise. Not only do you get the 12 movement, you get deep striking if you want, and full throttle if you want. They would synergize better than choppa boyz would with my currently developing list as well, both in support and in movement. Still playing with numbers and possibilities right now. 

I get the lists thing. I have had that issue with other units myself. I like the units, but they don't synergize with my list and/or preferred playstyle. I am personally ok with many and large sized mobz of boyz, I have hundreds and hundreds of games playing a classic green tide, I rarely had less than 120 boyz just as troops in my lists. After 15 years of 40k moving tons of guys you get used to it and fast with it. I have played other types of ork lists of course, but have usually come back to just tons of dudes. I set mine up a lot like a roman cohort when setting up so that makes them easier to move when you have a lot of models too. I see the point on CP and the grots. I think I will end up with enough CP in the list I am developing. It will not have a ton of CP, but with how I am setting the army up I will not be able to use half the stratagems anyway. So I do not think I will need as many. I will try to finish with some of the options I am considering and get the list solidified soon. I am now considering 60-90 stormboyz instead of 60-90 choppa boyz. I need to play with some numbers.

I would like storm boys. My big poblem with them has been that they are a known threat and targeted too early as well as the rule of three and the loss of mob up. Frankly I would run 90 or more of them and cut my choppa mobs way down and stick in more grotts to accommodate more storm boys. Would, would have anyway. I don't think the number of attacks is as important as the speed of movement and if attacks were an issue I would, as I had planned, just make my storm boys Goffs. 
I think my only real problem with them would have been the smaller mob size they had back in 3rd edition and that they were plastic and metal models. 

I would like storm boys. My big poblem with them has been that they are a known threat and targeted too early as well as the rule of three and the loss of mob up. Frankly I would run 90 or more of them and cut my choppa mobs way down and stick in more grotts to accommodate more storm boys. Would, would have anyway. I don't think the number of attacks is as important as the speed of movement and if attacks were an issue I would, as I had planned, just make my storm boys Goffs. 

I think my only real problem with them would have been the smaller mob size they had back in 3rd edition and that they were plastic and metal models. 

I had forgotten about the rule of 3, thank you for reminding me. I have just restarted 40k about 3 weeks ago and while I had read about it, it slipped my mind (too many FAQ's, errata, chapter approved and supplements running around now). The rule of 3 does not interfere with my stormboyz concepts but it does affect the rest of the list I was developing, so back to the drawing board on that! As I would like this list to be the first iteration/concept of a possible tourney list I will need to change it a bit now. 

I want them because they are a known threat, I want people to look at them first, this will allow the rest of the army to be less focused on. It looks like stormboyz can do mob up, just with only other stormboyz. Yeah losing the extra attack is a bit of a bummer, but id agree with you I think that is less of a big deal than gaining the movement. They are still 3 attacks each and even without being Goffs with enough in a mob they will still take out a lot of units. That's one awesome thing I have always loved about the boyz, EVERY ork is an ass kicker hand to hand. The problem I see in this edition is getting your dudes there before they disintegrate in this edition as shooting seems to get a lot of love over hand to hand. 

Yeah the smaller mob size was a thing with them, but even more than that as I keep mentioning was the points cost. Huge difference in this edition. In other posts and this one as I mentioned I have 8 OOP stormboyz (yes the metal ones), and though I dislike metal models I have a lot of them and I can work with them if I have to. 

I appreciate everyone's feedback and responses, been very helpful so far. Now with new information I have to go back and rethink my list again. But I DO think I will probably take the stormboyz, just need to rethink numbers of units again both in the stormboyz units and the other units I was planning.

I had forgotten about the rule of 3, thank you for reminding me. I have just restarted 40k about 3 weeks ago and while I had read about it, it slipped my mind (too many FAQ's, errata, chapter approved and supplements running around now). The rule of 3 does not interfere with my stormboyz concepts but it does affect the rest of the list I was developing, so back to the drawing board on that! As I would like this list to be the first iteration/concept of a possible tourney list I will need to change it a bit now. 

I want them because they are a known threat, I want people to look at them first, this will allow the rest of the army to be less focused on. It looks like stormboyz can do mob up, just with only other stormboyz. Yeah losing the extra attack is a bit of a bummer, but id agree with you I think that is less of a big deal than gaining the movement. They are still 3 attacks each and even without being Goffs with enough in a mob they will still take out a lot of units. That's one awesome thing I have always loved about the boyz, EVERY ork is an ass kicker hand to hand. The problem I see in this edition is getting your dudes there before they disintegrate in this edition as shooting seems to get a lot of love over hand to hand. 

Yeah the smaller mob size was a thing with them, but even more than that as I keep mentioning was the points cost. Huge difference in this edition. In other posts and this one as I mentioned I have 8 OOP stormboyz (yes the metal ones), and though I dislike metal models I have a lot of them and I can work with them if I have to. 

I appreciate everyone's feedback and responses, been very helpful so far. Now with new information I have to go back and rethink my list again. But I DO think I will probably take the stormboyz, just need to rethink numbers of units again both in the stormboyz units and the other units I was planning.

There are a lot of faq's and errata to read through. I do recall Mob up being nerfed to only boys mobs a few months ago. 

If anything else has changed I haven't kept up with it. 

I just looked at all the different FAQ's and Errata this morning, the limit to mob up is in the 2019 april FAQ. They changed it from infantry to boyz. So now only boyz as you said. Really wish you did not need to go through 6 different books/articles/FAQs just to figure out what is going on. On a strange note there is no FAQ or Errata for codex orks on the FAQ page now. Where did it go?

I just looked at all the different FAQ's and Errata this morning, the limit to mob up is in the 2019 april FAQ. They changed it from infantry to boyz. So now only boyz as you said. Really wish you did not need to go through 6 different books/articles/FAQs just to figure out what is going on. On a strange note there is no FAQ or Errata for codex orks on the FAQ page now. Where did it go?

I don't know where it's wondered off too. Maybe we got lucky and it wont be back.   

I like 8th to a point but I was playing so infrequently that keeping up with the changes wasn't worth it for me and was  buzz kill. My usual Scrumgrod is too competitive to make any effort worth the time and trouble to me. 

I hope your list grows into a monster for you. 

I guess it's a bit off topic but yes... the bloat is one of the reasons I have a hard time getting around to playing. At least when I started in 6th there were just the codices and their FAQ/errata, mostly, but now it's codices, supplements, campaign books, chapter approved, AND the FAQ/errata for all of those. Basically every time I play against any enemy army that I don't play myself I have no idea what's coming because I don't have the codices for those never mind all the extra material. Knowing is half the battle and thus I lose before I even start. For a casual player is next to impossible to keep up properly. I don't have the memory capacity in my brain.

I started in 3rd edition, there have been other times this "bloat" has occured but not like this. The entire time I have played I have played often actually, up until I stopped for medical reasons. I kept up on all the armies, mostly because most armies were represented in my gaming group and because the few that were not there I would just go look them up in the local GW store to keep up on things. I can see how hard it would be though for more casual gamers.