Returning Player

Arbiter7

Hi everyone!

After a long absence from any GW related game, I am thinking of returning to the hobby with a Raven Guard Primaris Army! 

I have an idea for a starting list and I'd like some feedback! I want it both fluffy and OK-game wise (not uber powerful but not bad either!).

I was thinking of grabbing Shrike and a Primaris Librarian (like Psychic powers and the new discipline looks interesting!) for HQ.

Two boxes of the new Vanguard should give me two full Infiltrator squads and two sets of Eliminators and Suppressors. 

To top it off I was thinking an Intercessor squad, an Aggressor squad and a Repulsor. 

Should be around 1500 or thereabouts depending on equipment. 

Can this work ? What changes can you suggest ? Many thanks in advance!

Sounds like a great starting place!

Note: The Start Collecting: Space Wolves Primaris boxset is a great place to start for the models you want. It's going to save you an additional ~15% off the MSRP, and it'll get you a bonus HQ unit you can convert pretty easily - to say a regular LT - or if you can pick up a jump pack - a smash captain.

You can trade off the Space Wolf sprues to a local for bits you may need or just straight sell them (on ebay, miniswap, or the like).

Look forward to seeing your force in pics!

Welcome back bro. Sounds like you’re returning with a vengeance. Best of luck and let’s see them pics. Just to let you know, the vanguard start collecting does not have options for incursors, comms array infiltrators, and your other options for your eliminators. It’s basically your Primaris half of the Shadowspear set minus the Phobos librarian and Phobos Captain.

Great advice guys, many thanks! 

Space wolves sounds like a sound choice! Did not realise I'd be missing out on the vanguard set... one gets the suppressors for free but the eliminators need their anti tank methinks.... oh well.

Great advice guys, many thanks!

Space wolves sounds like a sound choice! Did not realise I'd be missing out on the vanguard set... one gets the suppressors for free but the eliminators need their anti tank methinks.... oh well.

if you are able to snag a shadowspear box and split it with a guy who is looking for the chaos half you are looking at a better savings. The eliminator box provides 10 weapon options but only three bodies. The Infiltrator/incursors gives you 20 options but enough to equip a 10 man squad or a 5 man squad.

The Phobos Lieutenant from the Vanguard Marines box is great given Ex Tenebrous, and does some work paired with Grav Chute Reivers. Carbines all the way to take advantage of Tactical Doctrine.

I like Incursors best of the Phobos Troops. They ignore cover, which is good. They also ignore negative modifiers to hit, which is awesome. Now, the obvious, is that units like certain Eldar factions, Tau Steal suits and drones, etc. Less obvious, is when you use Auspex Scan, they ignore the penalty to hit, and fire at full BS. Infiltrators prevent deep strikes within 12", but, rules as written, cannot use Auspex Scan, because of the stratagem requirement of designating a friendly unit within 12".

Still, Infiltrators are great for filling gaps, or leaving gaps that are not as big as your opponent thinks they are. If they forget about the ability, or just do not ask, that is their problem. Rules state that units that cannot be deployed are destroyed. It is hilarious with Tau players. If they drop the Crisis Commander first, use Auspex Scan and shoot him before his screen arrives. Or, they drop the suits first, then the drones, which will not fit. Or, they drop the drones first, and the Crisis suits will not fit, which is too funny. Don't listen to that "Aw, C'mon, I thought you were cool" garbage when the opponent tries to cancel that deep strike and either drop in another area or next turn.

They are horrible kits, but get a Thunderfire Cannon, or 2. They are so good this edition! Average of 7 or 8 shots, hitting on 2+, range of table, and no need for Line of Sight. They really benefit from that extra point of AP in Devastator Doctrine. Best part are the stratagems, one slows down nonfliers to a crawl, and the other lets you fire twice, and they stack.

Shotgun Scouts in a Land Speeder Storm is a good Ace in the Hole if your opponent focuses on your troops first thing. Kept in reserve, their transport is very fast, and can get to the middle from the board edge on most deployments. Plus, in the Tactical Doctrine, those shotguns are AP-1, and S5 if you get in close. If you can be sneaky, they will murder any characters they get close to, or just zoom them onto the board to an objective.

Welcome Arbiter!

Some great advice here! And definitely some astute ways of starting a reasonable army quickly and cheaply. Especially if you want to build a primarily Vanguard based army which is perfect for RG

Look forward to seeing how you progress

SMs got a real good shot in the arm with the new codex release and the RG supplement is just gravy on top

Dont forget warsuits! :tu:

Cheers for all the advice guys!

I'm thinking of sticking with the Primaris-only list:

Maybe something like this:

+++ Raven Guard (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [71 PL, 1,496pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) ++

**Chapter Selection**: Raven Guard

+ HQ +

Librarian in Phobos Armour: Camo cloak, Force sword, Warlord

Lieutenants in Phobos Armor
. Lieutenant in Phobos Armour
. . Occulus Bolt Carbine and Bolt Pistol: Grav-chute, Master-crafted occulus bolt rifle

+ Troops +

Incursor Squad: Haywire Mine, 9x Incursor, Incursor Sergeant

Infiltrator Squad: 8x Infilltrator, Infiltrator Helix Adept, Infiltrator Sergeant

Intercessor Squad: Stalker Bolt Rifle
. 9x Intercessor
. Intercessor Sergeant: Power sword

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad: 2x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant
. Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Aggressor Squad: 2x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant
. Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Reiver Squad: Bolt Carbine, Grapnel Launcher, Grav Chutes
. 9x Reiver
. Reiver Sergeant
. . Bolt Carbine/Heavy Bolt Pistol

+ Heavy Support +

Eliminator Squad
. Eliminator Sergeant: Camo cloak, Las Fusil
. 2x Eliminator with Las Fusil: 2x Camo cloak, 2x Las Fusil

Eliminator Squad
. Eliminator Sergeant: Camo cloak, Las Fusil
. 2x Eliminator with Las Fusil: 2x Camo cloak, 2x Las Fusil

Eliminator Squad
. Eliminator Sergeant: Bolt sniper rifle, Camo cloak
. 2x Eliminator with Bolt Sniper: 2x Bolt sniper rifle, 2x Camo cloak

Created with BattleScribe

Looks great!

Only change I would make is the Aggressors. Putting them in one squad of 6 will get you better return on your strategems/warlord traits. Master of Ambush, Infiltrators, Strike From The Shadows, and most importantly - Transhuman Physiology. 

Can't wait to see some pics!