Faith and fury World Eaters

TorvaldTheMild

World Eaters get some great stratagems, it's not all bad. The relics and wts are a little underwhelming though, although even the one you describe can be great if you throw it on a Lord Discordant and gun for big targets. Tbh the only thing that really annoyed me was the 'zerker glaive not living up to its 3.5 glory days. The broader issue here is GW seeing the WE as being a one-dimensional army

Edited by Marshal Loss

And you also received a great one (violent urgency). Most Legions don't have more than 1 or 2 great warlord traits. You say you are completely underwhelmed, yet you only mention a single warlord trait as being the source of your consternation. There's a lot to like in the WE rules as well.

Fair enough, haven't got the book yet as the sisters box broke my bank didn't know they had a third.  What is it?

They've got a lot more than 3 my friend! You can read the full list for all Legions here. 6 warlord traits, 6 relics, 8 stratagems.

World Eaters Rules:

1. From Codex

2. Add D3 to attacks if there are more enemy units within 3" than friendly units. these extra attacks last until the end of the fight phase.

3. See Community Website

4. +1 charges for friendly WE within 6"

5. half damage suffered against melee weapons (rounding up)

6. 6" heroic intervention. and warlord always fights first

Stratagems:

1CP: Scorn of Sorcery

- See Codex

1CP: Apocalyptic Frenzy

- Use during deployment. when you set up a WE infantry unit. at the start of the first battle round, you can move then 9". can't be within 9" of enemy units etc.

1CP: Skulls for the Skull Throne

- Use in the Fight phase, when an enemy CHARACTER model is destroyed from a WE character you gain D3 CP

2CP: Red Butchers

- See Community Website

1CP: Maim! Kill! Burn!

- Use in the Fight phase. before you consolidate with a WE unit. Until the end of that phase, that unit can consolidate 6"

1CP: Wild Fury

- Use in the Fight phase, when you select a WE unit to fight with. improve the AP of that units melee weapons by 1 until the end of that phase.

1CP: Stoke the Nails

- Use in the Fight phase, when a WE Infantry or Biker unit (excluding cultists) fights. until the end of the phase, that units Death to the False Emperor ability affects any enemy unit. but its a 5+ against Imperium.

2CP: Blood for the Blood God! 

- use in fight fight phase, if a WE unit destroys a unit in the fight phase, do not roll morale for that unit, its automatically passed.

Relics:

Crimson Killer: plasma Pistol only

- R12", S9, ap -3, d 3, abilities: unmodified wound rolls of 4+ inflict a mortal wound in addition to normal damage

Gorefather: See community website

Banner of Rage: Priest model only, once per battle at the start of the fight phase, add 1 to the attacks characteristics for friendly WE units within 6".

Berzerker Glaive: Power axe or axe of dismemberment.

- S +1, ap -2, D 2, abilites: 5+ feel no pain on the bearer.

Helm of Furore: Infantry model only. +2 Strength. Bearer must charge if there are any enemy units within 8"

Bloodhunger: When an enemy model is destroyed in the fight phase from this model, roll a D6, on a 4+ the bearer regains a lost wound.

Finally, that's everything. hope you all enjoy!

Edited by Marshal Loss

I'm not underwhelmed, not by a long shot. I don't think we got the biggest boost in the book, but what we did get is still pretty good.

Re-rolling hits and wounds only if its 5 wounds or more, it should just be re-rolls hit and wounds.

This trait essentially applies to characters, vehicles and monsters without being limited to those keywords. With luck, the actual wording might also be "reroll hits" not "reroll failed hits" - which makes it excellent for comboing with power fists, thunder hammers, or even Gorefather. But we'll have to wait to see the actual wording to confirm this.

I'm very happy with some of the World Eaters rules. Some are total duds, as with every other army, but some are real winners as well. Red Butchers with power fists smashing their way across the table, extra -1 AP strat on chainaxes, +1" advance/charge aura warlord trait, consolidate 6"... lots of fun stuff.

This trait essentially applies to characters, vehicles and monsters without being limited to those keywords. With luck, the actual wording might also be "reroll hits" not "reroll failed hits" - which makes it excellent for comboing with power fists, thunder hammers, or even Gorefather. But we'll have to wait to see the actual wording to confirm this.

Can confirm that it says "...you can re-roll the hit roll, and you can re-roll the wound roll." So yep, you're good to go

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

really annoyed me was the 'zerker glaive not living up to its 3.5 glory days. The broader issue here is GW seeing the WE as being a one-dimensional army

Zerker Glaive in 3.5 was bonkers and almost on the Op Broken levels, specially on a Deamon Prince, with Deamonic speed( moves like cavalry/beasts).

So yeah i don't think we will ever see this kind of madness ever again, heck i remember my D Prince with Glaive and speed, nearly Facestomping 1/3 of armies on his own...( 2+/4++ and FnP4+ with 6+D6 move and 12" assault with 8+D3 attacks, where you could consolidate INTO other units and count as assaulting in the next phase, could do this..)

the price tag was there, but it was disgustingly effective.

Personaly i still need some time to digest this all, since i'm trying to get back into the hobby, and even tho i'm still pissed that we don't have a WE codex or at least new Zerkers models.

I'm looking forward to it.

Edited by Slayer le Boucher

As a BT player I find the complaint about warlord traits a little funny. One of the WE traits is literally just two of ours smooshed together. BT have 1 trait for heroic interventions at 6" and another for always fights first. WE get them both in 1. WE also got the 'kill a character and gain CP' that really should have been given to BT champions.

In general, what I've noticed with Chaos Marines vs Loyalists in F and F is CSM got much more efficient Warlord Traits and Strats, even relics in some cases, to try and make up for the fact they don't have doctrines. While WE didn't get the most broken of the bunch in this regard, they got some solid stuff. And some of it is just super fun, like Gore Father being a relic now that, while it isn't busted levels of OP, is certainly worth modeling a giant chainaxe onto a model for.