Psychic Awakening: Blood of Baal

Spacecow

Great news. Rules updates for our beloved nids are coming

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/17/psychic-awakening-blood-and-talons/

So what do you all think?

I am very psyched (pun intended)

I’m hoping that some units will get a bit more punch to them! We are after all facing primaris blood angels now!

I’m also really hoping on maybe a new model. Would be the absolute cherry on top!

Edited by Spacecow

No confirmed additional rules for nids, although we can assume.

Even though it's another BA v Nids box, these are my main and current focus army, so I'll likely buy, assuming they dont stick another damn Captain Karlaen model in there. 

I'd hope for a unique BA primaris captain model and a unique neurothrope model. 

Unfortunately the leaks we've received, that have proven so far to be true, points to Nids getting a Battleforce size box in December alongside the release only.

I also wuld love to see some Shrikes again. Really cool units and the conversions I've seen over the years all look so cool.

Unfortunately the leaks we've received, that have proven so far to be true, points to Nids getting a Battleforce size box in December alongside the release only.

I also wuld love to see some Shrikes again. Really cool units and the conversions I've seen over the years all look so cool.

I wouldn’t mind having another swarm box available. I hope the new box will have a focus on the infantry stuff. I need more hormogants and termagants and genestealers. Having a discount on those would be welcome.

I’m also secretly hoping on a ‘primaris’ adapted Tyranid unit but that’ll be a stretch I think.

Edit: I’m slow. The Christmas boxes have been revealed. Looks like it’s 12 termagants. 12 hormogants. 10 gargoyles. 8 genestealers. Two carnifexes a hive tyrants and one ripper swarm (?).

So I’ll get me one I think :)

Edited by Spacecow

Based on the releases in Psychic Awakening, I'm not getting my hopes up for new models. I think there are some small things that could add some versatility - for example, a strat that allows a unit or monster to count as stationary, even if it moved (that could add some flexibility to our weapon beasts). Another benefit would be a strat or something that affects wounding in the shooting phase. Currently, we just have fleshborers.

Based on the releases in Psychic Awakening, I'm not getting my hopes up for new models. I think there are some small things that could add some versatility - for example, a strat that allows a unit or monster to count as stationary, even if it moved (that could add some flexibility to our weapon beasts). Another benefit would be a strat or something that affects wounding in the shooting phase. Currently, we just have fleshborers.

You are probably right and the Christmas swarm box will be it for this year. And the repackaging. But I do hope will get some major rule Love instead.

Like you pointed out. The shooting stratagems are a bit lacklustre.

Queue wishlist:

I would also like a terror from the deep rework. It should be able to charge that turn. If you come and you are lucky with the dice it does some damage. But most of the time not enough and then it’s just target practice for the opponent.

I’d happily pay more points for it.

I’d also would love to see them rework the tervigons’ attack. 3 is a sad number. If I get one wound through it’s half a miracle. I seem to use it more as a very point costly objective babysitter regenerating termagants. Which has its use, don’t get me wrong.

I’d also like a reason for me to build the extra zoanthropes I got :p haven’t used them yet in eight ed at all. I keep putting them in a list and cutting them later on.

I smell good things here...

That’s not all. The Tyranids are getting some very exciting updates to help you bring this army to life on the tabletop as never before. Extra bio-artefacts allow you to create particularly notable gribblies armed with unique and terrifying weapons. A suite of Stratagems let you change your strategy on the battlefield to better hunt your prey. You’ll even be able to build your own hive fleet with your choice of traits. And that’s not all…

664a4b4e.jpg

Adaptive Physiology is a new system, bespoke for the Tyranids, that lets you represent the myriad adaptations of the Great Devourer. A Carnifex with Synapse? A pack of camouflaged Tyranid Warriors? It’s all possible thanks to Psychic Awakening. We’ll be previewing these systems in more depth soon, so stay tuned!

Edited by BolterZorro

I smell good things here...

That’s not all. The Tyranids are getting some very exciting updates to help you bring this army to life on the tabletop as never before. Extra bio-artefacts allow you to create particularly notable gribblies armed with unique and terrifying weapons. A suite of Stratagems let you change your strategy on the battlefield to better hunt your prey. You’ll even be able to build your own hive fleet with your choice of traits. And that’s not all…

664a4b4e.jpg

Adaptive Physiology is a new system, bespoke for the Tyranids, that lets you represent the myriad adaptations of the Great Devourer. A Carnifex with Synapse? A pack of camouflaged Tyranid Warriors? It’s all possible thanks to Psychic Awakening. We’ll be previewing these systems in more depth soon, so stay tuned!

Oooh, this is sounding intriguing. I hope this means Shrikes are coming back out of Index hell, I'm working on magnetizing some Plague Drone wings for my Warriors. Plus I just really, really like Tyranid Warriors.

Well the BA stuff so far revealed today does seem to give them a much needed boost . Happy for them.

I do hope this red line will be pulled for nids aswell.

For example:

Having a choice of 3 psychic powers(+ smite) and being able to manifest two

or being able to re-roll a dice when denying or taking perils.

We won’t get the same rules but something similar (or even better?) would be reaaaally nice!

New powers and strats is great news, it’s a good start in making Tyranid more competitive. We’ve been falling further and further behind in recent months with all these SM supplements.

I’d like to see improvements to a lot of units in the codex, we’ve got a lot of amazing models who’s rules aren’t good enough.

If I’m making a wish list, I’d ask for a data sheet for the doom of malantai. I put a lot of work into my conversed doom and now it sits in my box going to waste.

The new swarm box looks perfect though, you can never have too many Gants, stealers or fex’s.

We got a faction focus!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/27/blood-of-baal-faction-focus-tyranidsgw-homepage-post-1/'

So first of all, it are just tidbits released, so we are missing the bigger context.

- hive fleet adaptations: the example given is Adaptive Toxins for hive fleet Gorgon: you can re roll wound rolls of 1’s in the fight phase.

Or two other adaptations from a list if you make your own fleet.

Hypermetabolic acceleration: (can re roll advance roll)

Or Senses of the outer dark.

The fluff behind it seems really nice and we don’t know the full list yet. But I was hoping we could choose them no matter what fleet. This will lessen the flexibility and maybe usability.

It’s also not clear yet how much that will cost.

Each known fleet will get a specific psychic power choice extra. That’s nice but there is no mention in the case you choose your own fleet. You’ll be missing out on that?

The stratagem looks nice and for 1cp not bad, unfortunately not stackable.

I think the adaptive physiology is at the moment the thing that disappoints me. You have to trade in the warlord trait to give it to one infantry unit or a monster. It’s a cool concept but feels a bit constricted again.

Edited by Spacecow

It depends what the traits are. Usually I like WL traits that buff other units, which may or may not be wvailable depending on hive fleet (e.g., jormungandr's is really good). I hope that there will be a way to get a second unit for adaptive physiology just to further the custmozation (assuming the traits are good).

Yeah. I was thinking that too. They’ll add a stratagem giving us the option for one (or maybe two?) more before the battle begins.

It’s still early days.

I just had the idea in my head that’s we’d get all of these options to pick and mix from. ( or multiple fleets listed for some and others excluded to avoid it being too good) but that might’ve been too optimistic :p

Well I had a look at the  pre-order options today for Blood of Baal and a nids swarmbox.

Went to the GW site first browsing the options with nice cup of tea.

Saw the prizes in euros and almost choked in my tea :p

In the UK that box costs you 110 pounds. With the current currency that would make it 129 euros.

Now GW always had a very liberal interpretation of currency. But charging 145 euros is very liberal :p

So I went to a third party site and bagged myself a discount. (87.47 pounds for a swarmbox ~ 102 euros) With the difference i can buy myself the blood of baal book and get myself lunch with the change :p )

So anyone interested in buying any of these things, shop around first! 

It really can make alot of difference in a hobby that is already quite expensive!

(Part 1)

I’ve had a first read through the tyranid section of the Blood of Baal book.

For actual nid content: It’s 9 pages of actual added rules. 1 page dedicated to a name generator and two pages of (recycled )photography. (And some stories in the front to catch you up on the narrative)

Note that ,unlike the Blood Angels, there is NO point list included. ( I did post them into the chapter approved 2019 thread for anyone interested. )
The first page starts of with an overview of the next 8 pages of rules. An introduction page.
Noteworthy: It clarifies that genestealer cult can’t benefit from these changes and the hive fleet adaptation, where you can make your own hive fleet. ( that is not already in the codex)

Page two kicks us of with 5 new bio artefacts:

=][= Picture of full rules removed. =][=

Important to keep in mind you still need to pay the points for replaced Wargear.

I think the one resonating (pun intended) the most with me is resonating barb. One extra attempt to manifest AND deny a psychic power is pretty nice if you are packing some psycker HQ. Also the +1 you can add to the total for a psychic test is a nice boost.

Xenogenic Acid reads nice and so does Venomthorne parasite untill it reminds me you can only use this on 1 not named character.
I would have rather seen this as a hive fleet adaptation instead.

I don’t see the point of Pathogenesis, maybe someone can?
Arachnacyte gland might come in handy if you are packing a melee heavy non named character on foot?

Page 3 and 4 gives you some new stratagems

=][= Pictures of full rules removed. =][=

There are some cool ones in there. As I like to play with a mawloc , I’m chuffed with Unexpected Incursion.

Buried threats is nice for objective camping.

Hive instinct can be that much needed boost to make that charge.

Aggressive adaptation giving a (non stackable )AP bonus.

And synaptic channeling, when you really need that psychic power that’s on the other side of the table :tongue.:

All of them for 1 CP, yes please.

For two CP, something I’ll be testing out this weekend : psychic fissure. Oh you want to manifest a psychic power Mephiston. GO AHEAD.

Part two will follow.

Edit: grammar

Edited by Chaplain Dosjetka