Psychic Awakening: Blood of Baal

Spacecow

(Part two)

Next up: two pages of Hive Fleet adaptations.

=][= Pictures of full rules removed. =][=

You can choose 2 from these and call your fleet whatever you want.

This is the part I was most exited about, and after reading them a couple of times, I’m at the lukewarm stage.

Fluff wise : awesome idea.

But when it comes to the choices, a bit lacking. Mind you there are some fun combo’s to be had.

Overall Iwas hoping on something that would give our bugs some actual proper punch power.

An overview of my thoughts:

Adaptive skeleton seems like a cool idea, but to build a whole hive fleet around it, just doesn’t seem good enough. I’m running those infantry units as cannon fodder.
Even though giving them a +6 inv save will make them more tenacious, it’ll still require a six to keep them alive. Rather would’ve liked this to be, or a +5, Or this being a stratagem instead.

Bestial nature.
Again not really warming the cockles of my heart. If you are running a lot of monster units with damage table AND they are dying you might be able to use the two extra attacks, with probably a higher hit/wound roll.
Again, seems nice as a stratagem when you need it. A waste to build a fleet around.

Bio-metallic cysts. If you are running quite a bit of scything talons this is a nice one to run. Not sure if this would count for monstrous scything talons?

Biosphere consumption. I can only read this as a worse +6 inv save and therefor garbage. Please correct me if I missed something good.

Cranial channeling. A free reroll of psychic test per turn. Quite like that one. But I do like to pack Psykers in my lists.

Feeding frenzy is in my opinion a proper adaptation and worth taking in your customised melee heavy army. Pile in move of 6” instead of 3” is worth thinking about.

Horror from beyond: if you are packing a heavy monster list. Not sure if the -1 on LD makes much difference against certain armies and the 3” range does limit the usability.

Hypermetabolic acceleration is another contender for a melee nid army. Re rolling advance rolls. But is it better than just running Kraken?

Membranous mobility: it’s a nice idea to give flying units a hive fleet to work around. The -1 to hit with melee weapon does limit the use and leaves us with the question it being enough to even consider using gargoyles. ( they did drop a point per model)

Metamorphic regrowth is ok if you are running a more monster sided list. I can see it’s uses. And is something the tervigon fe used to be able to do in 7th edition and I’ve missed :smile.:

Morphic sinews seems like a nice one to consider. I’ve mainly played with melee lists and considering to maybe change it up with that.

Pack hunters I love. Having that with genestealers. Let the ripping and devouring start!

Prey sight is an option to consider when you are deliberating a monster heavy list. Seems they really are pushing the bigger models with these adaptations.

I’m also a big fan of senses of the outer dark. Charging will be more fun with certain units having that as a back up save.

Shrewd predator I’m not out of it yet. It does give some extra mobility. But not sure if that would have as much practical use.

Sporemist spines I feel similar. Practise will tell.

And lastly synaptic augmentation: not sure if the reroll one single hit was a typo. Cause I’m at a loss why they would make this a hive fleet adaptation. Just seems a bit lack lustre.

Feel free to let me know what you think!

Part three will cover adaptive physiology and the new psychic powers.

Edit: grammar

Edited by Chaplain Dosjetka

(Part 3)

Adaptive physiology

Instead of having a warlord trait you can give one of these to an infantry unit or monster model (!) (there goes my plan dumping that into a monstrous brood :p )

For infantry we have:

Enhanced Resistance: nice AP reduction. Only on -2 or below. So above that this will not have an affect.

Adrenal web: again, not a bad thing to dump on infantry units. Same with unnatural reactions. Having that 6” instead of 3”.

Dynamic camouflage seems nice for objective camping.

For monsters:

Seems that Dermic symbiosis is a nice one to dump on your pet monster. Doubling the W chars for damage table stats is not to be sniffed at. Half contemplating dumping this on my dymachaeron for funsies.

Also a fan of Accelerated digestion if I can get enough sustainable kills

Edited by Spacecow

• 2 weeks later...

I got my bioswarm box in the mail And it’s absolutely MASSIVE :)

That’ll be some nice new material for ETL 2020!

For the ripper swarm: you get 7 of those worms in there and two of those weird ones. (Genestealer sprue)

AfVxw3g.jpg

If someone can help me identify those, would be greatly appreciated!

I have 0 idea what they are and what they are for :p

If someone can help me identify those, would be greatly appreciated!

I have 0 idea what they are and what they are for :tongue.:

They're rippers equipped with spinemaws. A weak shooting attack.

While rippers are handy, I don't really think it's worth paying additional points to put a strength 2 gun on them.

Edited by Arson Fire

• 4 weeks later...

It has occurred to me that a Tyrannofex with either an acid spray or fleshborer hive would benefit from the Voracious Ammunition adaptation. I can see it taking the weapons from decent to amazing- the hive in particular is bound to kill at least one model with its sheer weight of fire. Against hordes that would be bad enough, but against more elite units, those D3 mortal wounds would be devastating.

It has occurred to me that a Tyrannofex with either an acid spray or fleshborer hive would benefit from the Voracious Ammunition adaptation. I can see it taking the weapons from decent to amazing- the hive in particular is bound to kill at least one model with its sheer weight of fire. Against hordes that would be bad enough, but against more elite units, those D3 mortal wounds would be devastating.

It would be a great weapon. My only problem is it makes the Tfex target priority.

It would be a great weapon. My only problem is it makes the Tfex target priority.

That might be a benefit, especially since it looks like the most common way to run this guy is in a Tyrannocyte, so you're pretty much guaranteed to make an impact and distract from anything else you want to keep alive.